Poll: Are you rooted??

This is a discussion on Poll: Are you rooted?? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; There is already a thread with a poll about that in Development and Hacking section but I thought it would be nice to make a ...

View Poll Results: Pls answer EVO tethering Qs....

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • WiFi is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • Bluetooth is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • USB is best method of tethering an EVO.

7 77.78%
  • It is best to Root EVO for tethering.

2 22.22%
  • It is NOT best to Root EVO for tethering.

0 0%
  • Any other issue(s)/concern(s) to address first?

0 0%
  • Have any words of wisdom on this subject? Please post here.

0 0%
  • Other comments on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Other Observations on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Have any good, bad or horror tethering EVO stories? Please post here.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Are you rooted??

Poll: Are you rooted??

There is already a thread with a poll about that in Development and Hacking section but I thought it would be nice to make a new one to check how many is the rooted ones now...
    since many people maybe voted "No" and rooted after some time (I'm planning to do it tomorrow)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm not rooted and would have picked the option "No - Still on the fence".
    Right now, I haven't found any rooted features that have drawn me over to the other side. I'm not opposed to rooting it, but I dunno, right now my phone is doing fine the way it is.

Lemme guess...60%no-40%Yes, like the other one! :D

Quote Originally Posted by OctoPI View Post
    Right now, I haven't found any rooted features that have drawn me over to the other side. I'm not opposed to rooting it, but I dunno, right now my phone is doing fine the way it is.
    +1 exactly how I feel. I haven't heard any reasons why I would want to root. What's to gain? It's not like this thing is made by Apple, where no doubt breaking out of the over-controlled Apple sandbox would be essential.

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoPI View Post
    +1 exactly how I feel. I haven't heard any reasons why I would want to root. What's to gain? It's not like this thing is made by Apple, where no doubt breaking out of the over-controlled Apple sandbox would be essential.
    +1 same here... not sure if it worth the hassle

I am not tempted either, really enjoyed jailbreaking iphones for myself and my friends but I prefer original android as the custom kitchens in my opinions are more like being test subjects without having any major gains. Slightly interested to use HTC desire rom/sense in my N1 but I dont want to lose out on V2T!!

I will make the jump if they can get V2T on Desire Roms :P

I am rooted and will never look back. Like some of you said, I also thought that rooting would not unlock many features, boy was I wrong. Here is why:

- Custom Roms. I can now install any rom that has been ported to the Nexus One. I am currently using the Cyanogen mod which is basically the stock Android 2.1 that comes with the Nexus but it has so many awesome tweaks that is surpasses it in every aspect.

When installing the Cyanogen Rom you get many new stuff, these are some of my favorite ones

1) Himem tweak- Allows you to use up all the ram avaible. Before upon boot up I never had more then 100 MB free of ram. Now I have 250MB available at boot up and if I close all those running apps, I am at 285. Because of this you can have many more apps running in the background without slowing down your N1.

2) Trackball wake up- I hated having to hit the sleep/power button in order to wake up the screen to unlock it. Now I just hit the trackball and the screen wakes up. Very neat and useful.

3) Orientation- Rotate your N1 in any position while using a app and it will rotate itself to it. Awesome.

-Customize trackball notification colors. I have it set yellow for a missed call, red for a text message, green for a email, blue for instant messaging,etc. Also soon a pro version will be out which will let you set any color notification for any app, so this way the developers that haven't added it to their apps don't even have to.

-Apps2sd. Lets you install your apps onto your SD card. I ran out of memory after just 4 days of installing apps and what not. Thank god for this awesome tweak. Now I can basically install all the apps I want without running out of space.

-Nexus Torch. Allows you to leave your LED flash on. Perfect for use as a flashlight or while recording a video.

-SetCPU. This awesome program (In the market but doesn't work without rooting) allows you to control the speed of the Nexus's processor at any given time. It has improved my battery life by at least 2 hours. I have it set so my processor speed goes down to 384 when I have the phone locked. When I unlock it, then it goes back to 1.13 ghz (Yes, I also have it overclocked )

These are IMO the best reasons to root but there are many many more that I haven't mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandam500 View Post
    I am rooted and will never look back. Like some of you said, I also thought that rooting would not unlock many features, boy was I wrong. Here is why:

- Custom Roms. I can now install any rom that has been ported to the Nexus One. I am currently using the Cyanogen mod which is basically the stock Android 2.1 that comes with the Nexus but it has so many awesome tweaks that is surpasses it in every aspect.

When installing the Cyanogen Rom you get many new stuff, these are some of my favorite ones

1) Himem tweak- Allows you to use up all the ram avaible. Before upon boot up I never had more then 100 MB free of ram. Now I have 250MB available at boot up and if I close all those running apps, I am at 285. Because of this you can have many more apps running in the background without slowing down your N1.

2) Trackball wake up- I hated having to hit the sleep/power button in order to wake up the screen to unlock it. Now I just hit the trackball and the screen wakes up. Very neat and useful.

3) Orientation- Rotate your N1 in any position while using a app and it will rotate itself to it. Awesome.

-Customize trackball notification colors. I have it set yellow for a missed call, red for a text message, green for a email, blue for instant messaging,etc. Also soon a pro version will be out which will let you set any color notification for any app, so this way the developers that haven't added it to their apps don't even have to.

-Apps2sd. Lets you install your apps onto your SD card. I ran out of memory after just 4 days of installing apps and what not. Thank god for this awesome tweak. Now I can basically install all the apps I want without running out of space.

-Nexus Torch. Allows you to leave your LED flash on. Perfect for use as a flashlight or while recording a video.

-SetCPU. This awesome program (In the market but doesn't work without rooting) allows you to control the speed of the Nexus's processor at any given time. It has improved my battery life by at least 2 hours. I have it set so my processor speed goes down to 384 when I have the phone locked. When I unlock it, then it goes back to 1.13 ghz (Yes, I also have it overclocked )

These are IMO the best reasons to root but there are many many more that I haven't mentioned.
    Still not convinced. The custom roms doesn't sound useful.

Himem tweak - don't need it, I don't need available memory to go from 100MB to 250MB (as long as I've got some free it's fine).

Trackball wakeup sounds like the exact opposite of what I want. I don't want my phone waking up in my pocket all time because of the trackball.

Orientation - already works how I want it to. It rotates when I want, and doesn't rotate when I don't want it to.

Trackball notification colors - slightly useful but not worth any amount of effort just for that.

Apps2SD - I doubt I'll ever need that.

Nexus torch - don't need a torch.

Setcpu - sounds good but I still haven't ran out of battery yet (and have spares anyway).

If they're the best reasons for rooting I'm definitely not going there :-)

I'm with Vandam al the way :D However, I have always said rooting is not for everybody, if you are happy with the way it is, don't ever let yourself be convinced by the root converts, we are a weird bunch anyway :rofl3:
    My sigs keep getting

A few good reasons to root, I guess. I am more likely to wait until it is officially supported than to go through a lot of trouble to OC an already fast phone or to have colors on my trackball.

There a few things I would change in an instant on this phone and could if it were rooted, but to me it seems like the phone is 95% stable, fast enough and provides a lot of functionality without possibly jacking up the software. I also don't really enjoy using software that is not supported when it comes to something I use for email, web, calendar, contact info, directions, to dos and more.

I need my phone to work and I need it to work everytime I pick it up. It seems like by modding your phone, you are asking for trouble.

Now on the flip side if I run into limitations on the phone and it impacts my day to day use and enjoyment of the device... hell yes I will beg borrow and steal to get it to do what I need it to. I just haven't hit that wall yet. This is also my first android device and first touchscreen phone... I am still stuck in the "**, this phone is way better than my 9700" mode.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links