External USB Monitor

This is a discussion on External USB Monitor within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Does anyone think someone will release an external usb monitor to use on not just the N1 but other phones as well? Not just to ...

Thread: External USB Monitor

External USB Monitor

Does anyone think someone will release an external usb monitor to use on not just the N1 but other phones as well? Not just to watch video or view pictures but a full blown mirror of the phones screen. Paired with a blue tooth keyboard it would be like having a net book in your pocket and on top of that with RDP you can have a full "portable" powerful desktop with you at all times. I guess the trackball or touchscreen would work as a mouse. One could only dream I guess.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

For that to even be considered, the phone would have to support USB host mode; this is something generally rare in mobile devices (though I understand the Droid supports it).

Next, you would need a driver for Linux. Last time I looked at USB monitors (several months ago) they didn't exist for the desktop -- but a desktop driver wouldn't be sufficient: one compiled for ARM, against the Android kernel and using the Android NDK compiler would be required. If the driver is open source, this gets more possible, but is that the case?

Finally, you would need to root the phone to install the driver; many have no issue with that, but if the driver isn't open source, that requirement makes it much less interesting for the hardware manufacturer to spend their time, since the support burden goes up but sales don't really.

I've read the new Android HTC phone called the EVO coming to the Sprint network this summer is supposed to have HDMI video out! You should check out the phone if you haven't heard of it already. Amazingly enough, it has quite a few more features than our N1 phones.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links