Max usb data transfer rate?

This is a discussion on Max usb data transfer rate? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I decided to get a 16 gb Kingston class 10 card for the phone, and wanted to see how fast it really was. I ...

Thread: Max usb data transfer rate?

Max usb data transfer rate?

So I decided to get a 16 gb Kingston class 10 card for the phone, and wanted to see how fast it really was. I decided to write about 10 gb of movies and music to the card.

Using two built in card readers in two different laptops only gives me ~3mb/s. Using my brothers Sandisk Extreme III usb card reader I was able to achieve 11 mb/s. All these test were also using the supplied SD card adapter and the windows file transfer details

When I put the card in the phone and use the phone's cable I was stuck at a write speed of ~4.5 mb/s. Copying files back to my computer from the card in the phone gave me a read speed of ~10 mb/s

Do I have a buggy class 10 kingston card or is this a limitation of the data rate when copying to the card while it is still in the phone? Read/write speed from the Sandisk card reader was 20mb/11mb so I think the card is working as advertised.

I'm running windows 7 and the stock N1 rom. USB driver was installed from the android SDK package in preparation of rooting the phone.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    So I decided to get a 16 gb Kingston class 10 card for the phone, and wanted to see how fast it really was. I decided to write about 10 gb of movies and music to the card.

Using two built in card readers in two different laptops only gives me ~3mb/s. Using my brothers Sandisk Extreme III usb card reader I was able to achieve 11 mb/s. All these test were also using the supplied SD card adapter and the windows file transfer details

When I put the card in the phone and use the phone's cable I was stuck at a write speed of ~4.5 mb/s. Copying files back to my computer from the card in the phone gave me a read speed of ~10 mb/s

Do I have a buggy class 10 kingston card or is this a limitation of the data rate when copying to the card while it is still in the phone? Read/write speed from the Sandisk card reader was 20mb/11mb so I think the card is working as advertised.

I'm running windows 7 and the stock N1 rom. USB driver was installed from the android SDK package in preparation of rooting the phone.
    This card seems to be working fine. The class is the minimum write speed, read speeds might be different. Different readers will perform differently. If you get consistent speeds on a particular device and consistent speeds using a separate device, then it sounds like an issue with the reader not the card

Since you see the right speed on some devices I would say it's fine.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
    This card seems to be working fine. The class is the minimum write speed, read speeds are slower. Different readers will perform differently. If you get consistent speeds on a particular device and consistent speeds using a separate device, then it sounds like an issue with the reader not the card

You have that backwards.... reads are always faster than writes. Writes require both erasing and storing, whereas reads only require retrieval.

This link might help: Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one's good too: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory"]Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Those speeds sound pretty normal. USB 2 is 480Mbps (which is 60MBps). But there is some overhead, etc. so you're never going to get that rate.

Even when I transfer files between my SATA drives, I hardly ever get over 70MBps.

Also note that in many laptops the card reader is still connected to a USB hub internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
    This card seems to be working fine. The class is the minimum write speed, read speeds are slower. Different readers will perform differently. If you get consistent speeds on a particular device and consistent speeds using a separate device, then it sounds like an issue with the reader not the card

You have that backwards..
    I noticed that after posting.

Sponsored Links