Sync Podcasts PC <-> Nexus One?

This is a discussion on Sync Podcasts PC <-> Nexus One? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi! I have one question about managing podcasts on the Nexus one, is it possible to somehow sync them between a computer and a Nexus ...

Thread: Sync Podcasts PC <-> Nexus One?

Sync Podcasts PC <-> Nexus One?

Hi!

I have one question about managing podcasts on the Nexus one, is it possible to somehow sync them between a computer and a Nexus One like you can do that between an iPhone and iTunes?
    These days I have an :iphone: but would like to replace it with a Nexus One, however I just really got used to the way you can sync podcasts there and hope I could do the same when I finally switched to a Nexus One

My computer is normally running all the time and I subscribed many podcasts there and I could set in iTunes that when I sync my iPhone always the latest three episodes from selected podcasts get copied to the phone. Is somehow the same possible with a Nexus One? I don't really want to subscribe them on the Nexus One directly, it is for some reasons (archiving, having the phone turned off in the night) so I hope there is a way

Thanks a lot in advance and see you!

Lorelei

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This is how I manage my setup, that involves multiple mobile devices (ipod nano, nokia, nexus one and ipod touch).

- Subscribe to podcasts on Itunes on the PC
    - No problems syncing the nano and touch, plug and play
    - For the n82 and N1, I mount them as a mass storage and use Microsoft Sync Toy to sync the podcast files between them.

Issues with the setup
    - No way of automatically marking a podcast as listened on the n82/n1. This has to be done manually
    - The n82 recognizes podcast files and treats them differently, e.g. remembers playback position, played status etc. The N1 is absolutely hopeless in this area
    - Despite these drawbacks, I prefer them to the ipods, since it is one less device to carry.

If you want to connect to a computer everyday to sync you can use doubletwist. Doubletwist will download your podcasts and sync them with your phone when you mount it to your computer.

Alternatively, you could use the "Listen" app that is developed by Google. You subscribe to your podcasts in the app right on your phone. They are wirelessly downloaded when they become available. I think its way better, just grab your phone in the morning and go, no plugging in to sync! Another good feature is that it backs up your subscriptions to Google reader.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks a lot for the fast replies
    I just tested doubleTwist a little and it looks like a not yet finished but promising alternative for iTunes in case of podcasting. The interface is clearly "inspired" by iTunes and you can also select which podcasts should be synced and how many episodes (all, the last one or also last three).
    There are still some things missing (for example in iTunes I can sync the last three episodes and manually can also sync single older ones the same time) but I guess it is just a matter of time until they catch up.

Thanks again, if I should get a N1 for me this would be enough to replace iTunes

I know what you mean about the lack of polish on doubletwist. Personally, I don't like how it looks so much like iTunes. It would be neat if they took a queue from Google chrome or just let it look like a native windows application. Doubletwist gets the job done but barely. It needs an id3 editor (which I hear they're working on) and a way to implement smart playlists. It would also be nice if I could delete a song from the hard drive when deleting it from the playlist like you can with iTunes.

Doubletwist is still my favorite for Android syncing due to its simplicity and lack of bloat. The development seems pretty quick so it's fun to use it while it becomes more and more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    Thanks a lot for the fast replies
    I just tested doubleTwist a little and it looks like a not yet finished but promising alternative for iTunes in case of podcasting. The interface is clearly "inspired" by iTunes and you can also select which podcasts should be synced and how many episodes (all, the last one or also last three).
    There are still some things missing (for example in iTunes I can sync the last three episodes and manually can also sync single older ones the same time) but I guess it is just a matter of time until they catch up.

Thanks again, if I should get a N1 for me this would be enough to replace iTunes
    Unfortunately, doubletwist is awful. It crashes nearly every time I open it. My playlists don't update even when i try to do it manually. It is incredibly slow as well. It's the worst program I've ever used, frankly.

I have been using Google Listen. I subscribed to all my favorite podcasts on the computer and they automatically sync to the Listen app on the phone. Very easy to use.

Is there a way to download the podcast with Listen so you can listen to them later? It seems like there is only an option to stream the podcast? I don't get 3G where I live, so I need to be able to download at home and listen later.

Quote Originally Posted by just999in View Post
    Is there a way to download the podcast with Listen so you can listen to them later? It seems like there is only an option to stream the podcast? I don't get 3G where I live, so I need to be able to download at home and listen later.
    Yep. subscribe, and then 'refresh' over your wlan. If it seems to stall (for whatever reason) simply 'Listen Now' and watch it begin d/l'ing, then hit pause...it will continue to d/l until complete.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links