Push Notification (for Android OS)

This is a discussion on Push Notification (for Android OS) within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; If you agree with this issue, please, please click the link on my original post & star the issue!! It's a google site so you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Push Notification (for Android OS)

If you agree with this issue, please, please click the link on my original post & star the issue!!
    It's a google site so you use your regular google account to log in.
    From what I gather, starring issues on code.google.com is the only way we have of telling google exactly what we want.

@sophia, how was your trip to Europe, hope you enjoyed yourself.

Agreed with others. PUSH technology will reduce the battery life consumption of your phone. Let's say you have an account that gets 5 emails in one day at sporadic times. With app running background you will have set it for 1 hour checks, and so in one day it calls on the phone to go to network and check for emails 24 times in one day. However with PUSH the server which is powered by electricity, sends a signal to the phone to activate its signal to grab the email, thereby it will only link 5 times a day. That's a huge savings in electricity. PUSH technology rocks.

Here is something you guys "could" try. Within Gmail, you can use Pop3 to connect with NON-gmail accounts and it will pull the mail into Gmail, and once it hits Gmail account will auto PUSH to your phone. I do that for my one company account and then I forward my Hotmail account as well, and it works great for me.
    Nexus One - CyanogenMod-5.0.6-N1
    Amon_RA Recovery v1.7.0
    2.6.33.2-cyanogenmod
    kmobs@ubuntu #3
    BUILD: EPE54B
    Baseband: 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2
    Swype BETA : NexTHEME Morph
    Juice Defender
    Follow me on Twitter

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    I don't understand the big deal. You have notification at the time when you get emails from Facebook, Gmail, Text Messages, Emails, Market App Updates. I get emails when where there are updates on my facebook by the setting in facebook.

I'm sorry Push Notification is overrated when you can get notifications through your email and having notifications alert you of new emails.

I use the Facebook widget and it's as easy as pushing a button to access your facebook to see what new. I mean really? And if someone is sending you a message in facebook, facebook does notify you on the notification menu.
    Androidfied.

Push isn't over rated. Widgets also use more power to refresh to notify you then a push notification would use.

Ill admit I never thought of forwarding my Facebook email notifications to my Gmail account, & it's something I'll look into.
    It's just annoying we have to find loopholes instead of it being supported already.

Facebook aside, push notifications would be a huge benefit to IM apps. I was just using ebuddy and it was refreshing almost continuously. (The app was in the foreground,admittedly).
    But the fact is that IM clients are heavy on refresh rates & are therefore battery drains.

I don't use widgets to notify me. And regardless Push still requires to be ran in the background. Let me put it to you like this. My gmail just told me a reply was made on this thread. No different than what can be done with any social network in settings. And honestly I don't see getting emails of notification as a loophole when that's what it's designed for in the first place. I have push notification on my iPod and never cared for it. So yes IMHO push is overrated. It's all user's preference.

And IM apps can run in the background. Just like Push.....

I'm just saying.
    Androidfied.

I will push the push request, thanks for educating me I always thought it was some silly Apple construction to prevent poor old grannies from being confuzzled with multitasking :rofl3: That said, they probably patented it anyway, so I don't think we will see it soon.

@thomas: I'm still in Europe, I would have traveled back coming Monday but the flights are still chaotic, so I have to stay another week. My parents are tinkled pink, but hubby feels very sorry for himself, all alone for so long...
    My sigs keep getting

I don't think that apple have patented it. I say this because blackberry, palm and windows 7 use it. Android is actually the only major os that doesn't offer it.

I'm not sure why, google doesn't exactly have a shortage of servers.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post

And IM apps can run in the background. Just like Push.....

I'm just saying.
    There is a huge difference between IM apps running in the background and Push "listening" on the background. if you had push, most of the battery intensive stuff would be done by the Google servers. If there is no push, IM app will constantly refresh and pull data from its servers to see if there is a new message. With push, the dirty work of checking to see if there is anything new is done on a server somewhere else. If there is anything new, it's pushed to your phone. This way the app doesn't need to be running constantly at all.

And no, apple in no way invented push.

Well, I could care less about push. Not that serious for me honestly. Never used it never cared for it and I still get all my notifications without it. Like I said its just user preference.
    Androidfied.

Android let's apps run services in the background to check for things on the server. The app itself doesn't have to be running, only the service. There's no need for building up "push" servers. This is very expensive to developers and would kill off the possibility of independent developers using this technology on the Android Market.

Even the new iPhone SDK allows local notifications because it is clear that it is way too expensive to build up push servers for each application. So the iPhone model is actually moving closer to the Android model.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links