Car Charger Modding

This is a discussion on Car Charger Modding within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I noticed a few complaints on this forum and others about Goggle Navigation being too much of a drain on the handset even with it ...

Thread: Car Charger Modding

Car Charger Modding

I noticed a few complaints on this forum and others about Goggle Navigation being too much of a drain on the handset even with it plugged into a car charger.

My suspicion is that this is down to badly made car chargers, and on a previous occasion using the Testing menu, I noticed that my own charger was being reported by the phone as USB.

So I set about trying to rectify this, using my awesome (:rolleyes knowledge of how the phone recognises what it's being charged with and an 'I don't care if I kill the charger, it was free' attitude.

I took it apart and tested continuity between the 2 middle (data) pins on the USB plug, there was none, and the problem was identified. I simply flipped the board over and soldered these 2 pins together and reassembled the charger.

Took it out to the car, plugged it in and lo and behold, the Testing menu now reports that it is plugged into an AC source! As my phone is fully charged and I don't have any trips planned right now I don't know how much real world difference there is, but it's looking promising, at least the phone now knows it can draw 1000mA instead of 500mA, and for 5 minutes 'work' it was worth doing.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I took it apart and tested continuity between the 2 middle (data) pins on the USB plug, there was none, and the problem was identified. I simply flipped the board over and soldered these 2 pins together and reassembled the charger.
    OMG ... I thought at first reading that you were brutalizing your N1!

I've not had any issues using the offical car dock, either with co plot or googe nav.

also i've noticed that the car dark n charger are rated at 2000 mA, where as most others are around 1000 mA of 500mA. im assuming thats to also power the bluetooth dock and speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    OMG ... I thought at first reading that you were brutalizing your N1!
    :rofl3: I'm not that mad:

Here is my universal USB charger with the cover removed:

and the reverse side with the 2 pins soldered together:

Quote Originally Posted by sexusone View Post
    I've not had any issues using the offical car dock, either with co plot or googe nav.

also i've noticed that the car dark n charger are rated at 2000 mA, where as most others are around 1000 mA of 500mA. im assuming thats to also power the bluetooth dock and speaker.
    That's because you're smart and have the official stuff, some of us have crappy universal chargers instead, which may or may not benefit from the above

Fail!

Despite the mod, it's still not enough to charge/sustain the N1 with Google Navigation running (screen on full brightness). Guess it's just not man enough to produce the required 1A.

Talking

Fail!
    ....Guess it's just not man enough to produce the required 1A.

I love the honesty!!

i have this one

F8Z280 Belkin Dual Auto Charger for iPhone and iPod
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FB578I/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: Belkin Dual USB Car Charger for iPod (Black): Electronics[/ame]

it works great

Can anyone recommend a UK source for a car charger that will charge my N1 while using GPS, Bluetooth and full screen brightness while driving.

Thanks

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links