Desire vs Nexus

This is a discussion on Desire vs Nexus within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; which is the better phone in your opinion? Or better yet what are the pros and cons of each?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desire vs Nexus

Desire vs Nexus

which is the better phone in your opinion? Or better yet what are the pros and cons of each?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Re: Desire vs Nexus

In terms of hardware I would say the HTC Desire is better. As for software, Google's Nexus One may come on top when it comes to providing frequent updates, although that might change when Froyo comes out.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

How is the hardware better? I thought the processor and all were the same? Or do you mean stuff like the screen?

Screen is the same too. Desire uses Clearpad 2000.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Desire vs Nexus

When I said hardware I meant the Desire's hard buttons and track pad. The Nexus One has soft buttons that are not calibrated correctly, mainly a hardware issue I believe. Also the Nexus One comes with a trackball, which means you have to make sure your thumb is clean and grease free before using it or else it will stop functioning. Plus, you can't flip the Nexus One on its face because the trackball is gonna be in the way.

That being said, those are the only things I dislike about my Nexus One. I am, in general, a happy and fortunate Nexus One owner

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

One thing I hate about the Desire (its a software con for me) is YouTube videos playing on Flash Lite from the web browser. I would've at least liked to see an option of playing it on the browser or the native YouTube app. A pro I liked on the Desire was most definitely the camera/camera app. Makes me want to go back to the Desire ROM.

I showed the wife the Desire movie on YT, and she said she doesn't like it, the raised chin on it reminds her of her G1, but then again she's spoiled to hold/lust my Nexus! :P

Edit: What the ???

from Slashgear:

However, one of the more surprising factors was the absence of docking cradle support as on the Nexus One. The Google-branded device has battery charging contacts along its bottom edge, which can be used with the optional docking station; the Desire lacks those contacts. Where we find we usually drop the Nexus One into its cradle periodically through the day, giving it a brief top-up as we go, we were less likely to plug in the microUSB cable to the Desire. It’s a similar behavioural change to what we observed with the Palm Pre and its Touchstone inductive charger: the easier it is to dock, the more likely you are to feed your phone at periods through the day.

Charging contacts aren’t the only omissions HTC have made with the Desire. Voice Search functionality is missing, which means you can’t make speech commands as you would on the Nexus One, and the Desire only has HSPA/WCDMA support for the 900/2100MHz bands. That means, unlike the Nexus One with its choice of 900/AWS/2100MHz T-Mobile USA support or 850/1900/2100MHz AT&T support, you won’t get 3G access on the Desire if in the US."

No 3G in the US...did I read that correctly? Wow.

guess this is more of a vanilla vs sense question. i personally like sense... everything is there out of the box. but N1 will get updates earlier.

I'm not sure how anyone can make an educated statement on whether the desire is better, it hasn't been released, but based on specs they have same equipment, Nexus One has bigger screen, Nexus One has better resolution. Only thing Desire has is sense. I have played around with sense and was not impressed. Nexus wins hands down.

Interesting points. I think though people are a bit too harsh with the "buttons" on the nexus. The only real button is the trackball. Those 4 things on top are really not buttons. Lets be honest with ourselves. Those 4 "buttons" are part of the screen. You don't press them, you tap them just like you do the screen when you type. I don't have trouble using them at all.

Also the trackball is better than the desires whatever you call it, because with the phone down & the lockscreen off you can tell you have a notification (and what type if rooted.) it is.

Everything else apart from what's been raised in this thread I have no clue about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links