2g? 3g?

This is a discussion on 2g? 3g? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So ive never been into my phone before... i used it only to make/recieve calls... then i got the nexus one. im kinda in love. ...

Thread: 2g? 3g?

2g? 3g?

So ive never been into my phone before... i used it only to make/recieve calls... then i got the nexus one. im kinda in love.

but im also kind of a noob.

I dont know the diff between 2g and 3g. I hear 3g is better but i dont know why, the reason i ask is that i live on the outskirts of my carriers coverage. my phone is constantly switching from 3 (my carrier) to another carrier and if i happen to be on the phone at the time it cuts me off. its making me crazy, i didn't notice it as much until i got THIS phone which is strange i spoze, but i don't think im imagining it.

i found an app that will turn 3g off, i just installed it and im hoping it forces me onto the OTHER carriers network, sure my calls are a little more expensive but i mostly receive them anyway, and then at least everyone wont think im hanging up on them! I don't know if this is how it works, like i said i'm kind of new to this whole thing.

but i am wondering, what limitations should i expect if i keep 3g off?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Lightbulb

3G provides a lot faster data. For calls you'd never really notice the different (barring your switching problem).

You don't need an app to disable 3G. It's in the standard settings of the Nexus One. Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile Networks -> Use only 2G networks.

3G networks also require the phone to use more power, so using 2G only will actually give you longer battery life. Downloading stuff is a lot slower though. So it's a definite trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    You don't need an app to disable 3G. It's in the standard settings of the Nexus One. Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile Networks -> Use only 2G networks.
    oh i never noticed. thanks for that.

and i can totally live with slower speeds to stop all the dropped calls.

You probably spend a significant amount of time near the edge of your carrier's coverage boundary and are roaming into another carrier's zone.

However, switching to 2g will not stop dropped calls. Using 3g is a better experience all around. The N1 is much more than a mobile phone. If you're not using 3g then you are not utilizing the N1 to it fullest.

You can force the N1 to stay on 3g by manually setting this preference:

Go to phone > dial *#*#4636#*#* then go to Phone Info and choose WCMA Only.

This will keep you on 3G and force a better speed. If by chance you roam out of 3G coverage & find you need EDGE (2g) you can easily switch back to WCMA Preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    You probably spend a significant amount of time near the edge of your carrier's coverage boundary and are roaming into another carrier's zone.

However, switching to 2g will not stop dropped calls. Using 3g is a better experience all around. The N1 is much more than a mobile phone. If you're not using 3g then you are not utilizing the N1 to it fullest.

This will keep you on 3G and force a better speed. If by chance you roam out of 3G coverage & find you need EDGE (2g) you can easily switch back to WCMA Preferred.

Doesn't this depend on which carrier you're using?

You're T-Mobile.... we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

Doesn't this depend on which carrier you're using?
    No it doesn't.

how funny, I just typed the same thing in another thread for someone else... I'm running in WCDMA only (to avoid frequent EDGE connection) and its been consistently fast... I highly recommend (as long as you have good 3G coverage in your area).
    Ron Paul is correct.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links