Persistant Notifications and BIS Level 1 notification Feature

This is a discussion on Persistant Notifications and BIS Level 1 notification Feature within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Please forgive me if this has been covered but I'm a Android newbie and have searched without any results. I have moved from a BB ...

Thread: Persistant Notifications and BIS Level 1 notification Feature

Persistant Notifications and BIS Level 1 notification Feature

Please forgive me if this has been covered but I'm a Android newbie and have searched without any results.

I have moved from a BB Tour and really like the Android OS.

A few things I really rely on though I can't seem to replicate on Android. The most important is the "Level 1" or high importance message tagging. With BIS I could setup a filter so that any emails with a specific word or words in the subject line or from a specific email address caused a different alert on the BB when received.

Also, I can't find many options for different notifications like a specific one for emails, another for SMS, another for voice mails, etc., nor the abilty to make the notification keep going off every few minutes if the first one is missed.

Thanks for the help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Re: Persistant Notifications and BIS Level 1 notification Feature

I definitely see Google adding a lot of those features as Android OS matures more and more with time. I also came from a BlackBerry Bold and I sometimes miss those extra power user options. Give it time

Quote Originally Posted by SHarpy View Post
    Also, I can't find many options for different notifications like a specific one for emails, another for SMS, another for voice mails, etc., nor the abilty to make the notification keep going off every few minutes if the first one is missed.
    You can set up different sounds for emails and SMS from the menu in each application. Your contacts can have different ringtones, too.

I don't think you can set up a different notification sound based on email filters. Just the sound for emails can be different from that of SMS.

I'm using gmail and google voice for SMS, and neither of those apps notifies with a tone more than once. However, the notification does stay in the notification bar until handled, and the trackball lights intermittently for missed notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by SHarpy View Post
    Please forgive me if this has been covered but I'm a Android newbie and have searched without any results.

I have moved from a BB Tour and really like the Android OS.

A few things I really rely on though I can't seem to replicate on Android. The most important is the "Level 1" or high importance message tagging. With BIS I could setup a filter so that any emails with a specific word or words in the subject line or from a specific email address caused a different alert on the BB when received.

Thanks for the help!
    I can help. I am recently from using a BB and over to an Android and I had the same questions. Handcent SMS can be configured for repeat alerts until dismissed. It will also allow you to set an alert per contact. I have to use my phone as a pager so I configured the pager alert to a longer more noticeable alert sound. It's free from the Market.

For email alerts, I use Touchdown for Exchange which if you are getting Exchange email it has a rules option that will allow you to set up persistent alerts.

I have read but not tested K9 Mail, a replacement email app that claims to have customizable alerts for email. I would check that out.

Good luck.

I use handcent and have yet to figure out how to set individual alerts based on contact. Can you help me out?

Now for Level 1 notification on the Nexus One...here is a work around I have not tried yet, but it should work. There are forwarding options in the gmail account. There you could theoretically set up rules to forward emails from certain email addresses to another email account even a gmail account. Then, add that gmail account to your phone and set the special Level 1 notification sound for that - just being a entirely different ring tone for those emails/account.
    Now this part I have tried and verified, but you can set your new gmail account to "send from" so the sender and recipient of your replies will never know about this special level 1 email account.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    I use handcent and have yet to figure out how to set individual alerts based on contact. Can you help me out?

Now for Level 1 notification on the Nexus One...here is a work around I have not tried yet, but it should work. There are forwarding options in the gmail account. There you could theoretically set up rules to forward emails from certain email addresses to another email account even a gmail account. Then, add that gmail account to your phone and set the special Level 1 notification sound for that - just being a entirely different ring tone for those emails/account.
    Now this part I have tried and verified, but you can set your new gmail account to "send from" so the sender and recipient of your replies will never know about this special level 1 email account.
    When you have a user message list open, or whatever you call it, the window that's open with some messages to the user you want to assign a special tone too, there is a button on the upper right hand corner of the screen with a person's head and a gear (settings) and it will allow you to configure a sound for that user. Under the general settings for Handsent is a setting to set up reminders. I hope this helps. If not let me know. I am on call this week and I just got a page so I know that the darn thing works

Quote Originally Posted by carlsbl View Post

When you have a user message list open, or whatever you call it, the window that's open with some messages to the user you want to assign a special tone too, there is a button on the upper right hand corner of the screen with a person's head and a gear (settings) and it will allow you to configure a sound for that user. Under the general settings for Handsent is a setting to set up reminders. I hope this helps. If not let me know. I am on call this week and I just got a page so I know that the darn thing works
    Just so we're clear: you're referring to SMS text messaging, not to the GMail app, right? I'm looking for the equivalent of Level 1 Notification support for email, but I can't find any way to customize that.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links