Using Google Voice

This is a discussion on Using Google Voice within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello all, As you can tell I'm new here, so be easy on me Have had my N1 for almost 3 weeks now, and am ...

Thread: Using Google Voice

Using Google Voice

Hello all,

As you can tell I'm new here, so be easy on me Have had my N1 for almost 3 weeks now, and am still getting used to it from an iphone.

I did a little searching, but thought I'd post as a new question:

Those that have GV, do you use it as your primary number? I'm trying really hard to use this as my primary number, but get frustrated with texting. I'm really digging Handcent, but that doesn't work for GV.

Do you all just give people your GV number for voice calls and your cell number for sms/mms? Use the sms app(or some other) for mms and GV for regular sms? Seems like we're missing that last bit of integration. Also am noticing sms has a significant delay with GV.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing that will make the experience a little smoother.

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I just use gv for voicemail. I suppose you could use it for voice and text, but I haven't bothered.

I use GV as my lifetime primary number.

I got the $40 data only plan ($720 savings over 2 years by cutting the $30/mo useless voice minutes) and make free data voip calls through GV.

Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I use GV as my lifetime primary number.

I got the $40 data only plan ($720 savings over 2 years by cutting the $30/mo useless voice minutes) and make free data voip calls through GV.
    What other app do you use with GV so you can make it work without a regular phone number (voice plan)?

You gotta have GV forwarding calls to your Gizmo5 sip # and have SipAgent app on the N1 set up to receive your Gizmo5 calls...

Confusing as hell I know to wrap your brain around the first time you hear it... took me a few days to get it set up with Google searches but DEF worth it to save me $720 over 2 years ($30/mo saved not having useless voice minutes). Paid for the N1 and the ATT iPhone cancellation fee by itself...

ap3604, Have you found the 5GB limit adequate on the data-only?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    ap3604, Have you found the 5GB limit adequate on the data-only?
    Yeah I wondered about this too. In March I did a test where I only used 3g... no wifi whatsoever for the whole month to see how much data I would use. Even as a power internet user and talking a lot through data I only got up to 3 gb (although I'm not a big youtube'r). With any sort of wifi you should be fine no matter what.

And how about the other side of the equation - voice. Are you satisfied with the voice quality. I have GV and Gizmo but the quality has not been good when I've tried it, and that's on WiFi. I'm still using a prepaid SIM card with data only on WiFi. WiFi is generally available for me, but it would be nice to have those few features I miss when I'm on the move or there is no WiFi.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links