"It's Time For Google To Kill The Failed Nexus One"

This is a discussion on "It's Time For Google To Kill The Failed Nexus One" within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I agree.. i'm holding out for the next update. If it's underwhelming then I'll probably go after another phone....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "It's Time For Google To Kill The Failed Nexus One"

I agree.. i'm holding out for the next update. If it's underwhelming then I'll probably go after another phone.

Hahaha! I think it is failure when Google says it is... and considering the marketing they did for the N1 (next to none), I think it actually did - and does - remarkably well!
    My sigs keep getting

One of the poorest written articles I've seen in a looooong time (excluding blog sites) posing as informative. He doesn't even make a case, just slings opinion..finished with:

"And if Google wants Android to continue to be the carriers' smartphone platform of choice -- especially as Apple expands its distribution and eventually sells the iPhone at more carriers than just AT&T -- Google had better start acting as a partner, and not as a competitor. Killing off the Nexus One is the first step."

HUH!?! The clue is buried in that statement, though...iPHONE!!!...right below that a link to this same authors earlier article: DON'T MISS: What Apple's New iPhone Means To You

Naw..no agenda there, eh?

Re: "It's Time For Google To Kill The Failed Nexus One"

I really hope Google has something special up its sleave on May 19 at Google I/O. Whatever they announce at the event may lead their Nexus One to success or, sadly, its failure.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedEltawil View Post
    I really hope Google has something special up its sleave on May 19 at Google I/O. Whatever they announce at the event may lead their Nexus One to success or, sadly, its failure.
    Great observation there Ahmed, I was so furious with Sprint and Verizon that I didn't even think about this. The Google I/O will probably bring on the Froyo treat which will help me forget how Nazi like the CDMA carriers are...

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    The reality of the Nexus One vs iphone in the first quarter...

AppleInsider | NPD: Android phones now outsell Apple's iPhone in US
    Truly a bad example, Bishop6. That's comparing ALL Android phone sales against iPhone sales.

I love the N1, but it's not the major volume of the total Android market.

Just to clarify, it also includes ALL Apple OS devices (three versions of the iPhone and three versions of the Touch).

It's not a comparison of 1 device vs. 1 device, but you'll never get that as a fair comparison because the nature of Android is to be open and allow it on many devices, which Apple is the exact polar opposite.
    :nexusx: A new hope. :nexusx:

Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AhmedEltawil View Post
    Great observation there Ahmed, I was so furious with Sprint and Verizon that I didn't even think about this. The Google I/O will probably bring on the Froyo treat which will help me forget how Nazi like the CDMA carriers are...
    Too true. This CDMA N1 news is rooted either in poor testing of HTC's cdma hardware, or the walled garden/control-freak CDMA carriers, both who are behind on smartphone sales. How folks reinterpret this as a 'nail in the coffin' is almost amusing..N1 continues to sell well in spite of its age measured in months, and is about to gain a new featureset in a matter of weeks. Those that aren't getting their way, insist it's dead, failed, and the hole has already been dug. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my N1 on it's lowly non-Flash 2.1 like no other phone I've owned..it's become an absolute necessity in my life! (rather pathetic when you think about it!). :rofl3:

I am getting a little tired of all of these sites jumping on the "boo N1" bandwagon. It would have been a large win for Verizon and Sprint to carry the N1, but honestly why would they? They have (will have) other phones that will directly compete with it in sales. It seems like Verizon/Sprint like to push certain phones hardcore until the next big thing comes out. At this point why would someone want to buy a N1 over the Incredible or the Evo? Especially when they are probably all in the same price bracket.

I was a little bummed when all I see on my news feed are articles about the Nexus being a dead phone and being dropped from the CDMA carriers. It makes me a little nervous about the phone and the support we will get, but I am hoping that Google will not let us down. It is a tall order, but hopefully it will be filled. Since the Nexus is Google's phone, hopefully that means that we will get the newest software and toys first. At least that will give us a small edge over the rest of the Android market.

The only problem with the Nexus being such a small user base is that the accessories market will suffer greatly. Yea I can get the dock and the car dock, but what about all the other accesories? I think this will end up being like my Zune... go against the herd and end up with a cool device, but get shafted on accessories and possible future support.

Only time will tell I guess. Maybe we will get some good news from the Google I/O...

Well, it seems to me that the reality is it is a dead phone. I love it, but as we all know, phones have a very short shelf life.

Problems:
    1. It was too slow to develop the CDMA version. As big as Verizon and and Sprint are in the US, I imagine (??) compared to the overall market, a GSM phone is where it's at. HTC developed there first. Then improved upon it for their next phone which went to CDMA (the Incredible). When I say improved, I'll bet it's cheaper to build, easier to support, and they make more money on it.

2. It was a dumb idea to make a world phone when there are so many incompatible standards. If they made it so you could switch between carriers seamlessly, then it would have made sense. But they didn't. Fail.

3. Ultimately, I imagine Verizon (Sprint doesn't really matter) saw this method of sales as cutting into their business model. They signed on at first to hedge their bets. But when it didn't sell so well and the market moved on - eh. Why WOULD they follow suit, especially given the low initial sales numbers. Better for Verizon to keep on working as they have been. It's worked so far.

Overall, it was an experiment. Google learned a TON from it (at least they should have). Enough information to help them over the next 10 years of cell phone marketing. Overall, I'd say it was a success for Google. Could it have done better, maybe. Is there much hope for continuing the development of the Nexus One? I doubt it. There may be one or two more updates for it, but I bet that's it. But I will bet there'll eventually be a Nexus NX(t). But probably not till it's a single phone which can run on multiple carriers.

Am I happy with my choice? Absolutely! I love this phone.

It may have 'failed' in the US because of your competing and incompatible systems. We are yet to see how well it goes in Europe where such problems do not exist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links