Where's my 1GHz snapdragon at ?

This is a discussion on Where's my 1GHz snapdragon at ? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Recently rooted, and then tried out setCPU(thanks for the tip rioja!).. It did help out my battery life. Originally Posted by dd4005 Originally Posted by ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where's my 1GHz snapdragon at ?

Recently rooted, and then tried out setCPU(thanks for the tip rioja!)..

It did help out my battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    so we dont need setcpu,am i reading this correct?feck me this phone turns up something new everyday
    I wouldn't necessarily make that leap yet. All these people who've rooted and seen the benefit of setcpu can't be imagining it. They're talking about substantial reduction in battery use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by cxm View Post

The ARMv7 still seems wrong though. Or did Qualcomm buy ARM at some point? Still a bit confused.

Edit: Yaaay, this time I got 998.4MHz.
    As I understand it, ARM just develop the processor architecture, the do not manufacture anything - so it is possible that it is detecting an ARM architecture that was manufactured by Qualcomm or others

This is a pretty funny conversation to see. Yeah, ARM designs CPU architecture, but Snapdragon isn't a CPU, it's a "System on a Chip" (SoC). That includes a CPU, RAM, GPU, and other key components bundled together. Think of an integrated PC motherboard.

The actual CPU that the Snapdragon is based on is the Cortex A8, which then underwent significant modification by Qualcomm.

Other SoCs used for current-gen smartphones: OMAP3 (PalmPre), Samsung S5PC100 (iPhone3GS). These all come from the same ARM cortex A8 architecture. the "v7" refers to the instruction set used by the CPU. The Nvidia Tegra is a SoC which uses a dual-core ARM11 (v6).

You can also think of video cards for a similar analogy: On newegg.com, look for the ATI Radeon 5750: there are versions made by VisionTek, ASUS, MSI, HIS, and more. ATI comes up with the design, and then other companies manufacture it with various frills, overclocking, RAM, etc...

*edit* Here's a diagram of the "Scorpion Core" that Snapdragon is made of. Notice that the CPU is only one element:
    http://www.dspdesignline.com/showArt...leID=204700527

Quote Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post

The ARMv7 still seems wrong though. Or did Qualcomm buy ARM at some point? Still a bit confused.

As I understand it, ARM just develop the processor architecture, the do not manufacture anything - so it is possible that it is detecting an ARM architecture that was manufactured by Qualcomm or others

This is a pretty funny conversation to see.
    Thanks for the extra (complete) info. I didn't find all that info you provided in one single place anywhere. If I hadn't had that app that showed me the CPU info I wouldn't have needed to know either ;-) Scary when you think for a moment you might have been sold a cheap copy of a nexus one.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Quote Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post

This is a pretty funny conversation to see. Yeah, ARM designs CPU architecture, but Snapdragon isn't a CPU, it's a "System on a Chip" (SoC). That includes a CPU, RAM, GPU, and other key components bundled together. Think of an integrated PC motherboard.

The actual CPU that the Snapdragon is based on is the Cortex A8, which then underwent significant modification by Qualcomm.

Other SoCs used for current-gen smartphones: OMAP3 (PalmPre), Samsung S5PC100 (iPhone3GS). These all come from the same ARM cortex A8 architecture. the "v7" refers to the instruction set used by the CPU. The Nvidia Tegra is a SoC which uses a dual-core ARM11 (v6).

You can also think of video cards for a similar analogy: On newegg.com, look for the ATI Radeon 5750: there are versions made by VisionTek, ASUS, MSI, HIS, and more. ATI comes up with the design, and then other companies manufacture it with various frills, overclocking, RAM, etc...

*edit* Here's a diagram of the "Scorpion Core" that Snapdragon is made of. Notice that the CPU is only one element:
    Analysis: Qualcomm's 1 GHz ARM "Snapdragon" | DSP DesignLine
    Nice, Great information on the Nexus One Soc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links