Does anybody here not use task killers?

This is a discussion on Does anybody here not use task killers? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer I use it. If my phone lags, I hit the task killer widget and it says something like "4 apps killed ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Does anybody here not use task killers?

  1. #31
    mah
    mah is offline
    Senior Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I use it. If my phone lags, I hit the task killer widget and it says something like "4 apps killed 45M memory available". Once in a while it says something like "85M memory available." Weird.
    The thing with Android (at least current versions)... if memory runs low and you need more than you have available, Android will select one (or more) tasks that you haven't interacted with recently and kill them automatically. It first tells the task that its about to be killed, giving the task a chance to save its state so it can restore itself later. I don't know if using a task killer gives a task that opportunity or not.

  2. #32
    Member xkillerbx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AhmedEltawil View Post
    Task killers are completely unnecessary on an Android smartphone.

    Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    You would have slammed your phone against the wall during some of the apps I've beta'd on this phone, without a taskiller.
    Using poorly written or beta apps is one thing (but you could always use Android's built in task killer or Astro's). If you're using well written apps without memory leaks, task killers are completely useless. They're 100% a placebo. It's a fact.

  3. #33
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xkillerbx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AhmedEltawil View Post
    Task killers are completely unnecessary on an Android smartphone.

    Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    You would have slammed your phone against the wall during some of the apps I've beta'd on this phone, without a taskiller.
    Using poorly written or beta apps is one thing (but you could always use Android's built in task killer or Astro's). If you're using well written apps without memory leaks, task killers are completely useless. They're 100% a placebo. It's a fact.
    No, opinion. Especially with regard to accessing the data connection. MANY apps vie for the data connection, often simultaneously...Android tends to queue them up, but you introduce a 'lag' (I prefer the term soft crash) when you attempt to run a dominant memory and data hog like a browser or GMaps at the same time this data queue is already filled. There are times I start the browser or GMaps, and it just sits there...and sits there, not loading...you can see the data connection either sending/receiving in bits, or simply hung with both lights aglow, but the data connection cannot be initiated. This is NOT a rare event for me either, nor do I suspect it's rare for others. The first value to a taskiller (your 'placebo') is to see what apps and services are actually running at that moment, some additionally indicate how much memory it's using, or highlight currently running apps while dimming stopped apps still in memory. Armed with this knowledge, I can selectively kill off apps and services I don't intend to use (when will we be able to delete stock apps from a stock phone!?!), or kill an app I suspect is hanging my data connection. I can assure you that time and again, I can regain control over the phone and proceed with the app I WANT to run MUCH FASTER than simply relying on Android itself to do so, and faster than rebooting the phone. Indeed, app resources and concurrent data demand is one area I feel Android needs a bunch more work!

  4. #34
    Junior Member Wolfwise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15
    Had my n1 for about two months now. Started using one initially and kept causing phone to lock up. Took it off and has worked flawlessly. It has a built in task killer in the application management section if needed. Won't use again. I think the task killers were for tye early android versions.

  5. #35
    Member xkillerbx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    No, opinion. Especially with regard to accessing the data connection. MANY apps vie for the data connection, often simultaneously...Android tends to queue them up, but you introduce a 'lag' (I prefer the term soft crash) when you attempt to run a dominant memory and data hog like a browser or GMaps at the same time this data queue is already filled. There are times I start the browser or GMaps, and it just sits there...and sits there, not loading...you can see the data connection either sending/receiving in bits, or simply hung with both lights aglow, but the data connection cannot be initiated. This is NOT a rare event for me either, nor do I suspect it's rare for others. The first value to a taskiller (your 'placebo') is to see what apps and services are actually running at that moment, some additionally indicate how much memory it's using, or highlight currently running apps while dimming stopped apps still in memory. Armed with this knowledge, I can selectively kill off apps and services I don't intend to use (when will we be able to delete stock apps from a stock phone!?!), or kill an app I suspect is hanging my data connection. I can assure you that time and again, I can regain control over the phone and proceed with the app I WANT to run MUCH FASTER than simply relying on Android itself to do so, and faster than rebooting the phone. Indeed, app resources and concurrent data demand is one area I feel Android needs a bunch more work!
    You're obviously using a bad app. If an app is not asking for data or system resources it's not going to get it. If you're experiencing lag while running just 2 data hungry apps either your data connection sucks or you have an app that's asking for priority over your Gmaps or browser. The only time I've had my browser hang is when my data connection sucks. I've never had to reboot to get to where I want to.

    Read through this article and you'll get a better understanding of how the inner workings of Android work:

    FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

    Or read about the Android process life cycle here:

    Application Fundamentals | Android Developers

  6. #36
    Senior Member dimmakherbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    475
    You know you can go round and round about this.
    I know how the Android system using Linux kernel works and how operations are handled. But the only thing you or anyone else can state is the theory of operation. In REALITY the operating system does not exist in a vacuum. So, have task killers messed with some peoples phone? yes. Do some people not need a task killer? yes. Do some people use their phone and it slows down for some reason or another and killing the tasks speed the phone back up? YES. Why? because every phone is different, its not a placebo.

    Not every app is put to a 'stop' initiation, there are apps that run in the background and still do things. Email, Gmail, facebook all run at set intervals and retrieve and/or look for email. Beautiful widgets, Weather bug and other weather sources pull GPS or cell phone tower data to see where you are and pull weather information. Google pulls information on location and usage, some of this is fed to other apps that use this for ads and such. people with settings and locale apps pull info on where you are and search for cell towers and wifi. All of this happens without the apps being in use or without you doing anything.

    How can they make these kernels and ROMs and have them not work for some people? in theory, they should work, but it doesn't, phones aren't all the same in everyday use amongst a large majority of people.

    Use em, Don't use em, have a friend that owns Google that says you don't need em, who cares. Last thing I care about is using a task killer and would use one if I didn't need one. When used 'as needed' and a proper ignore list of apps that shouldn't be killed it has proven to get my phone working properly again. it will start hesitating, moving slow, etc and it isn't letting up, kill the tasks and the phone is back to normal.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

  7. #37
    Senior Member dimmakherbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I use it. If my phone lags, I hit the task killer widget and it says something like "4 apps killed 45M memory available". Once in a while it says something like "85M memory available." Weird.
    The thing with Android (at least current versions)... if memory runs low and you need more than you have available, Android will select one (or more) tasks that you haven't interacted with recently and kill them automatically. It first tells the task that its about to be killed, giving the task a chance to save its state so it can restore itself later. I don't know if using a task killer gives a task that opportunity or not.
    an app not pulled up on the screen is already give the 'stop' command which saves information. Regardless what kills it, os or program, they are then given the 'terminate' command and close out fully (as long as they werent operating in teh screen already)
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

  8. #38
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xkillerbx View Post

    You're obviously using a bad app. If an app is not asking for data or system resources it's not going to get it. If you're experiencing lag while running just 2 data hungry apps either your data connection sucks or you have an app that's asking for priority over your Gmaps or browser. The only time I've had my browser hang is when my data connection sucks. I've never had to reboot to get to where I want to.
    You are lucky, then. I learned long ago with the G1 that Android is far from perfect in managing access to the data link. It improved significantly with the N1, but still exists, and I credit most of that to the N1's superior processor and memory. They could indeed be 'bad apps', but that would mean I would have to take that up with their authors: GMaps, Browser, Pandora, Google Listen, LastFM, Slacker, Rhapsody..the list goes on and on...exhibit occasional issues when launched..they'll stall in their hunt for their servers, with some other app prioritised to the data connection. Until it gets resolved at the app level (whenever that happens) I'm resigned to make my apps usable in that moment by running a taskiller, and selectively eliminating apps that I suspect may be holding on to my data connection...with great efficacy, I might add. I would MUCH prefer to have manual control over apps activity (or removal, like the AMZ app) that spuriously launch without my intervention, and I think as Android progresses, that aspect will eventually be realised. There's an increase of taskillers in the Market, and they're getting more sophisticated, and I think it's in direct response to the failing of Android to handle apps in the way users expect and desire. Pointing us to details on why they're 'a placebo' does nothing to regain the control I need to do the task I want.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum