How do I make my Nexus work during a storm

This is a discussion on How do I make my Nexus work during a storm within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I was in a tornado just a few days ago. No one was hurt, just a lot of damage and clean up but my loved ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I make my Nexus work during a storm

How do I make my Nexus work during a storm

I was in a tornado just a few days ago. No one was hurt, just a lot of damage and clean up but my loved ones and I are all ok. My problem/question is:

My phone wouldn't work during this. I have a police scanner on my phone, weather scanner and none of it worked. I couldn't even send on Facebook. I almost threw it out to the tornado when I was in my scared to death mode. But I thought maybe I wasn't doing something right. Does the phone lose every connection if you don't have wifi? I was listening to police scanner and weather radar before the tornado's got close... When I needed them all the most nothing worked.

When all the power and internet came back on (6 hours later) my phone worked again.

I was scared and needed to know things while it was happening. I couldn't believe my favorite phone in the whole world, My Nexus One would not work. Anyone have any idea what happened? It really had a good test run and it failed. I am pretty sick over this. We were in a life and death situation. Thanks everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It's pretty unlikely this was an issue with just the phone. More likely if there was a bad tornado, either the local broadcast tower lost power, or there was enough debris and turbulence to cause interference.

You don't mention some important details: did any other cell phones work? If not, then clearly it's not a matter of the N1... If so, were they on the same network?

Also: in bad weather, turn the phone to 2G mode if there is any doubt about reception. Higher frequencies scatter more, and are more likely to be susceptible to interference by bad weather, especially with debris.

Well I'm glad you're ok okie. A few years ago when Houston was evacuating for Hurricain Rita, all the cell phones networks were overloaded due to heavy usage from everyone...however text messages still went through. Primitive tech usaully works better during this situations.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Yeah chances are the cellphone tower was damaged because of the tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    Towers tend to not have power backup, so if the power was out, the tower was out.

You must be by Norman i live in Enid the wind and rain was so bad all i had was 2g and no data glad you are ok i think NW Oklahoma is to get it tonight

I'm surrounded by Sooners
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post
    It's pretty unlikely this was an issue with just the phone. More likely if there was a bad tornado, either the local broadcast tower lost power, or there was enough debris and turbulence to cause interference.

You don't mention some important details: did any other cell phones work? If not, then clearly it's not a matter of the N1... If so, were they on the same network?

Also: in bad weather, turn the phone to 2G mode if there is any doubt about reception. Higher frequencies scatter more, and are more likely to be susceptible to interference by bad weather, especially with debris.

Thank you for your reply Saffron.. There weren't any other cell phones, only mine. That is another reason we sure needed it to work. I run my cell on the 2g, not 3g because I got the phone through t-mobile, then canceled because they were worthless in my area...I am running with AT&T sim. So I always have it 2g. I wasn't getting my text messages either. They all came in all at once about 6 hours later. Gee, I guess we can't really count on any cell phone either in an emergency. I had my expectations too high I think. I wanted my phone to tell me everything it was before electric & wifi went out. More storms and warnings are out again now. Sure hope nothing comes from this one.
    Thanks so much for your reply..
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    Well I'm glad you're ok okie. A few years ago when Houston was evacuating for Hurricain Rita, all the cell phones networks were overloaded due to heavy usage from everyone...however text messages still went through. Primitive tech usaully works better during this situations.
    Thanks so much Mr. Tex! I figure now it was conditions effecting the phone but I sure wanted some outside communication. I may get to try it out again tonight. More watches are out now. Sure hate Springtime in Oklahoma, sometimes. I have a cousin who lives in Sugarland. Do you know where it is?
    Again, Thanks for the reply.
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post

Thank-You for your reply. I think your right. I just want my cell phone to work constantly...Towers or not. lol Thank-you for replying...
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links