TechCrunch: Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo

This is a discussion on TechCrunch: Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by dimmakherbs Originally Posted by Vandam500 Originally Posted by dimmakherbs I hope this doesn't screw up my ability to teather on my rooted ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TechCrunch: Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandam500 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    I hope this doesn't screw up my ability to teather on my rooted phone, now that its available to everyone?
    Why would it?
    carriers disbling it somehow or charging for high usage or removing unlimited data usage for teir data usage....
    Well the most that can happen is that they remove it from the market. As long as we have the program installed or apk's, there really isn't nothing they can do.

The hotspot feature will be really cool. I just hope they made Hands Free a priority. I hate taking my eyes off the road to call a number. It really unacceptable to not have this basic safety feature.

Quote Originally Posted by shizane101 View Post
    The hotspot feature will be really cool. I just hope they made Hands Free a priority. I hate taking my eyes off the road to call a number. It really unacceptable to not have this basic safety feature.
    To beat a dead horse, the greatest safety feature is to NOT initiate a call (or even receive a call) while driving. Period.

is the hotspot wifi thing going be free? wont carriers charge for it like sprint?

Ok, I'm sorry it had to be me but I'm going to ask the most super noob question. I know it's probably the most simple answer too...

I understand that tethering is basically using your laptop to connect to your provider's data connection through your phone. But what is a Wifi hotspot? Or rather, if I'm understanding correctly, why would you need to connect your laptop through your phone to a Wifi connection when you could just connect your laptop directly to wifi?

The most likely scenario i can see for "hot-spot" is for several people to connect to your phone and use the same connection. The ad that Verizon ran for a while, where 5 people in a carpool all use their laptops at once in the car comes to mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links