TechCrunch: Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo

This is a discussion on TechCrunch: Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo WAHOOOO!!!! wifi tether now im excited... was never excited for flash. i really wanna ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TechCrunch: Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo

TechCrunch: Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo

Exclusive: Google To Add Tethering, Wifi Hotspot To Android 2.2 Froyo

WAHOOOO!!!! wifi tether now im excited... was never excited for flash. i really wanna see the improvements they put in on performance and interface... but wifi tether? wow thats icing on the cake (or icing on the froyo rather).

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

cxm
    the most exciting part for me is at the end of the article when they say expect it to be officially launched no later than the io conference next week. So far it has all been rumours with some saying the developer preview will be launched, but tech crunch are well informed and seem pretty sure that we are less than a week from getting it on nexus. Happy days

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttt. nexus one is like rocky,..theres like 5 rockys. i predict this beast to still be head if not right there in the game in the upcoming few years. and i know, i know, "a new phone comes out every month" but we gots a google phone baby and unless google themselvs make another phone directly from them , theres no topping the nexus. google said themselvs "expect alot of surprises", hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, do u think thats just one ota froyo, that we and only we will have before these other slacker phones catch up?...heck no!, theres gotta be more...when they made this phone they made it way beyond its time, with capabilities for upgrade. this beast probally has a 1.5 snap built in just waiting for google to 'unleash the krackennnnnn' lol.
    nexus one = god of phones

Now the real question is, how much will Mobile carriers start charging for Tethering? and When these charges will start? Its all good, but mobile companies will want a piece of the pie, and cash in on this. Should we all be looking at our contract? I would hate that this OTA comes out started to Tether then get charged for it by useage.

David

It's all well and good, but

will froyo have a search feature that searches my calendar? I have to manage my patients and it was a HUGE oversight to leave out the ability to search the calendar in nexus one.

I know, I know, Power Search will search the calendar. But calendar search really should be built into the OS. Palm OS has had the ability to search every file in the PDA/phone for many years. I was extremely disappointed to discover that my N1 couldn't do it, AFTER I bought the phone.

I know, I know, I should have done more research before buying, but was it wrong to assume that a smart phone could do it after Palm had been doing it for >10 years?

I just had to vent. There. I feel better.

TD

PS- I love my N1

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetrice80 View Post
    Now the real question is, how much will Mobile carriers start charging for Tethering? and When these charges will start? Its all good, but mobile companies will want a piece of the pie, and cash in on this. Should we all be looking at our contract? I would hate that this OTA comes out started to Tether then get charged for it by useage.

David
    For those of us on AT&T, I don't see how they can charge us for tethering. As soon as I get Froyo on my N1, how is AT&T going to disable it on my phone? When I start tethering, how is AT&T going to know I'm tethering? They can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetrice80 View Post

David
    For those of us on AT&T, I don't see how they can charge us for tethering. As soon as I get Froyo on my N1, how is AT&T going to disable it on my phone? When I start tethering, how is AT&T going to know I'm tethering?
    Not really sure, but I was talking to a buddy of mine who said that they will find a way just like they did with Blackberries. Remember when Tethering came out for blackberry (free of charge) now companies charge $10 bucks more to Tether.

Although this is not much of a big deal because with Andriod being an open source, someone, someway will find a way around this. No Mobile company can keep up. Only down side (upside for me and most of you) is that you more than likly will have to root the phone.

I hope this doesn't screw up my ability to teather on my rooted phone, now that its available to everyone?
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    I hope this doesn't screw up my ability to teather on my rooted phone, now that its available to everyone?
    Why would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vandam500 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    Why would it?
    carriers disbling it somehow or charging for high usage or removing unlimited data usage for teir data usage....
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links