Google Maps in the US

This is a discussion on Google Maps in the US within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi Guys: I gotta question regarding Google Maps. I got my Nexus One brought from the States from a buddy of mine. I am in ...

Thread: Google Maps in the US

Google Maps in the US

Hi Guys:

I gotta question regarding Google Maps. I got my Nexus One brought from the States from a buddy of mine. I am in Germany and as far as I know Google Maps/GPS functionality doesn't work in Germany per se.

I am now traveling to the States for a trip. My question is can I use the Nexus One as a Navigation/GPS without data connection (Internet Connection) but of course with the GPS satellite connection in D.C.?

Regards,
    Pashii

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Not with Google Maps as the data doesn't reside on your phone. You need a live connection to Google's data servers. There are some other programs out there where you can store map data on the phone itself.

Hi:

What do I need to do to get, let's say the greater DC's areas on my phone. Or which app do you mean?

Thanks,
    Pashii

Google Navigation cache's your data, so if you are connected to a free wifi connection then you can load your Nav. route, and go on your way. If you make an unexpected turn it will probably mess up on you, it should reload when you get back on your route though.

Well this sucks doesn't it. I mean is their no way of downloading maps?

Pashii

Does Google's Navigation cache include the maps? It might - I don't know because I'm in Canada with no navigation feature yet.

Here are a couple of alternatives (no idea if they work or not)
    AndNav.org - Android Navigation System
    bigplanet-maps application for android

Edit: another link (not free) http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/?...=tnhome_indexB
    There seem to be quite a few alternate solutions.

Try mapdroyd.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links