Do Wifi and 3G run simultaneously?

This is a discussion on Do Wifi and 3G run simultaneously? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by lionsson The only way 3G uses energy is when it's transmitting or receiving data over your service network, but since Android automatically ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Wifi and 3G run simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    The only way 3G uses energy is when it's transmitting or receiving data over your service network, but since Android automatically uses the best internet connection available your 3G is more or less idle. The only time I've seen my N1 use WiFi and 3G at the same time is when I'm at home using WiFi to surf the internet and receive or replay to a SMS or MMS. SMS and MMS use wap to transfer it's data.
    Actually, that's not true. It will automatically route internet data over Wifi, but there will still be transmit/receive going on for either 3G or 2G so that you can receive phone calls. The phone has to stay in touch with a tower somewhere so that your phone can ring when someone calls you. That takes a lot less power than it does when you're talking, but it still uses some.

To be a phone, it must always be using some power to keep connected to the cellular network. That's the way that cell phones work.

Liz
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Duh! That's why I've been thinking I have absolutely NO vodafone connection at home then! I'll try turning off my wi-fi and see if I get a signal.
    Thanks for that.
    Liz
    There *should* be bars of reception still showing, since you still have a data connection to the tower...is that not the case?
    Actually, very rarely. When I get in, the box has some bars lit up along with another box next to it showing an E or a G in it. That box gets replaced by the wi-fi symbol as soon as it connects. The box of bars that remains on the right shows no reception with a small 'x' above them.
    Having said that, the villages in this area are notorious for having patchy mobile phone reception. My bad luck.
    Liz

Just because the Wifi symbol replaces the 3G/E/G symbol does not mean that it's not using 3G/E/G for phone stuff. The transmitter/receiver must remain on enough to answer calls at a minimum. This means that it must stay in contact with a tower. That takes a lot less power than talking, but it's still on.

Liz
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Just because the Wifi symbol replaces the 3G/E/G symbol does not mean that it's not using 3G/E/G for phone stuff. The transmitter/receiver must remain on enough to answer calls at a minimum. This means that it must stay in contact with a tower. That takes a lot less power than talking, but it's still on.

I've just tested your theory and I can assure you that I'm obviously not in touch with the tower as I cannot make any phone calls - it comes up with 'Not Registered on Network'
    My reason for replying to this thread was nothing to do with using power; I was interested to see that someone, other than myself, appeared to lose their phone function/connection when their N1 connected to wi-fi. Doesn't seem right does it?
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

I've just tested your theory and I can assure you that I'm obviously not in touch with the tower as I cannot make any phone calls - it comes up with 'Not Registered on Network'
    My reason for replying to this thread was nothing to do with using power; I was interested to see that someone, other than myself, appeared to lose their phone function/connection when their N1 connected to wi-fi. Doesn't seem right does it?
    Liz
    Sounds like you your reception is so weak, that the wifi enabling simply knocks you off the tower. That's got to be frustrating...and no, they're 'normally' not supposed to be mutually exclusive...they're supposed to run concurrently. (indeed, that is how TMO customers can talk and surf at the same time!).

Liz
    It's not a theory, it's a fact.

It is most definitely NOT the Wifi that is causing you to lose your cellular connection. They both definitely work at the same time.

Those of us who live in an area that gets "full bars" of cellular signal and use Wifi at home still get phone calls through our cellular network.

You might want to check your signal levels.
    Settings -> About Phone -> Status.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links