Do Wifi and 3G run simultaneously?

This is a discussion on Do Wifi and 3G run simultaneously? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Ok so I want to make sure that when I am home and my wifi is enabled my 3G shuts off automatically right? The icon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Wifi and 3G run simultaneously?

Do Wifi and 3G run simultaneously?

Ok so I want to make sure that when I am home and my wifi is enabled my 3G shuts off automatically right? The icon goes away and the wifi icon appears but I just want to make sure i'm not using up more battery power by leaving the 'Use only 2G networks' option unchecked.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by windmill360 View Post
    Ok so I want to make sure that when I am home and my wifi is enabled my 3G shuts off automatically right? The icon goes away and the wifi icon appears but I just want to make sure i'm not using up more battery power by leaving the 'Use only 2G networks' option unchecked.
    Do you make phone calls over Wifi? No, 3g/2g is still needed.

No.........
    Nexus S
    HTC HD7
    Galaxy Tab

I believe Wifi shuts down the data connection while in use.

Liz
    Duh! That's why I've been thinking I have absolutely NO vodafone connection at home then! I'll try turning off my wi-fi and see if I get a signal.
    Thanks for that.
    Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Duh! That's why I've been thinking I have absolutely NO vodafone connection at home then! I'll try turning off my wi-fi and see if I get a signal.
    Thanks for that.
    Liz
    There *should* be bars of reception still showing, since you still have a data connection to the tower...is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Do you make phone calls over Wifi? No, 3g/2g is still needed.
    How can you make calls over Wifi? This would be a great feature to have because one of my houses has no service whatsoever.

There's a great little free app in the Market called Quick Settings. It allows you to separately turn off all data (3G and 2G) and leave voice, text and wifi on. It removes any ambiguity about whether an app is using data or wifi.

The only way 3G uses energy is when it's transmitting or receiving data over your service network, but since Android automatically uses the best internet connection available your 3G is more or less idle. The only time I've seen my N1 use WiFi and 3G at the same time is when I'm at home using WiFi to surf the internet and receive or replay to a SMS or MMS. SMS and MMS use wap to transfer it's data.

If you want to make a call over WiFi just search in the market for "VoIP" theirs plenty of apps,some are free other are paid and a few have monthly subscription (like Vonage). Just don't expect something amazing from a all free service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links