First 7 days- My thoughts and observations

This is a discussion on First 7 days- My thoughts and observations within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello Everyone! I'm not too sure if this threads belongs to the Introduction section or General. If its in the wrong place, feel free to ...

Thread: First 7 days- My thoughts and observations

Talking First 7 days- My thoughts and observations

Hello Everyone!

I'm not too sure if this threads belongs to the Introduction section or General. If its in the wrong place, feel free to move it =)

Anyway, as the title suggest, I've had my Nexus for 7 days now and I'll like to share somethings I've noticed on the Nexus.

First off, Lets cover the GOOD things:

* Its very fast, I haven't noticed any lag at all!

* The screen is GORGEOUS... I've had one Japanese phone with a good screen (I still couldn't get over that), but this takes the spot of "best screen I've had on a mobile". I converted a wildlife demo vid from my computer and it looks stunning, no pixelating and well, its very comfortable viewing it on the screen

*Apps! I've also been able to find an app I want by searching. Who needs the 100 000+ apps in the app store when the apps in the market are enough?

*Battery life is surprisingly good! I was expecting it to need a daily charge, but so far, I only need to charge it every 2 days. Which is better than my Nokia 5800, which needed daily charges... And it didn't really do as much !

*It was very light and nicely shaped! I was expecting "OMG my pants will fall off" heavy since my Nokia 5800 was quite a heavy phone. But surprisingly, it was very light (AND THIN!!), it was comparable to my old W580 in thinness (which I thought was impossibly thin already) and only slightly heavier

*Camera is very good, it does well when thins aren't too well lit (even with its flash off)

Now some NOT so good things...

*I'm sure this is dependent on individual phones, but my bottom back panel is not completely flush with the rest of the phone. Like described here. I'm not gong to fuss about that considering my Nokia had a huge gap one one of the corners (big enough to fit my fingernail in)

*I've also noticed in portrait, there is some "ghosting" (I thinks thats what its called...) Like mentioned here.
    But using it in landscape or zooming in fixes this issue, so I guess its a software thing

*I also occasionally have the pink halo in the camera, but its not permanent like some users and definitely not as evident.

*I had to find a way to disable mobile data cause it was sapping data through background apps even when I disabled the background data setting in settings and had auto sync off. Problem is solved though =)

*I've had a few force closes on me, but thats very dependant on the software or app, some apps close when rotated!

*Not sure if this is with all trackballs, but it does make a small sound when i use the trackball... and i would like to have a breathing light and colour notifications without rooting!!

*The HTC desire has so much more goodies when they are so similar! I would really like the touch to focus cam, black notification bar and MOST of sense UI.

In conclusion:

Its definitely a great phone, I'm just being nit-picky cause I've read so much on the internet. Most users wouldn't pic these negatives up.

I'm still wondering if I should root the phone... I bought it in HK, but I'm in Australia now, so pretty much the warranty is useless anyway... But I want to see how Froyos going to be on the Nexus, but at the same time, really like how rooting brings so much more to the table.

Anyway, thanks for reading this. I hope this helps any potential buyers =)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    *Not sure if this is with all trackballs, but it does make a small sound when i use the trackball... and i would like to have a breathing light and colour notifications without rooting!!

*The HTC desire has so much more goodies when they are so similar! I would really like the touch to focus cam, black notification bar and MOST of sense UI.
    Hello and welcome to the forums.
    you can get all the 3 things with rooting your device.

In conclusion:I'm still wondering if I should root the phone... I bought it in HK, but I'm in Australia now, so pretty much the warranty is useless anyway... But I want to see how Froyos going to be on the Nexus, but at the same time, really like how rooting brings so much more to the table.
    Just do it. Even if your rooted you still can get a replacement if you have hardware failures, well thats what id read.

And even if your rooted you can get froyo! Also every ROM cooker is updating to froyo when its out.
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

@xPatriicK

Thanks!

I want to flash Sense UI on only to be honest. So I guess thats only available through mocado?

I'll wait for it to develop a bit more first. I think the camera app still needs a few fixes first =) I think they said its only 3MP atm instead of 5MP.

I LOVE that weather animation on Sense, but i think the desire doesn't look as nice as the nexus =P

So I'll just let it wait a bit for now. At least till Mocado hits beta or something. And since froyo isn't too far away, I might wait till that released then root =) you know, we aren't looked down like SOME other phones =P

i know there some really god pros and really bad cons, like the multitouch problem, the trackball and some force close, but coming from a blackberry pearl 8100, this phone is lightning fast, extremely fun, and it have a lot of functions.

i rooted the phone the night i got it cos i live in Chile and i needed the market enabler to buy apps, but im not coming back.

Im using CyanogenMod with custom kernels and i metamorphed some stuff, im traying to make my own metamorph skin following the line of the stock skin, but more stylish (im a graphic and web designer).

Reading some comments, CyanogenMod had always be one step forward of the stock Android, and i hope this happen again with Froyo and CM 6 comes first than Android 2.2.

Here in Chile i only know 3 guys who have the phone compatible with the 3g bands.... and maybe there are only a few more and its funny to see and explain to ppl that the phone isnt the iPhone and I WILL HAVE FLASH PLAYER and the iPhone dont...

as a Graphic and Web designer, im really frustrated cos the way apple is taking, cos now i will have to learn an (almost) new lenguage to make websites or games... im really starting to hate Apple...

and maybe there are only a few more and its funny to see and explain to ppl that the phone isnt the iPhone and I WILL HAVE FLASH PLAYER and the iPhone dont...

as a Graphic and Web designer, im really frustrated cos the way apple is taking, cos now i will have to learn an (almost) new lenguage to make websites or games... im really starting to hate Apple...
    I've never liked Apple. I think they have great hardware and design, but their marketing stratagies and hype absolutely disgust me.

When they are missing a feature, they say its not a necessity and its OK to not have one. Next release/update they bring it in and say its revolutionary and make the iphone the best experience etc etc. And people fall for it! Worse is the fanbois that come with it! "My iphone is the best, your phone is ****..." I hear that too often...

I got into a slight debate with a friend on facebook who says this about the nexus "If only they designed something that looks stylish in ur hands then I will consider buying it over the iPhone."

To be honest, the Iphone now looks like a toy to me now that I've seen and used a Nexus one. Sure it looks good, but its image is slowly growing old. Plus EVERYONE has one, thats why he came to the conclusion that I wanted to be an individual rather than the masses.

We'll see how he goes when we get froyo with flash =) or when I root and flash my phone to oblivion!!

Welcome to the forum and root it!

Whoops just noticed I got a little emotional and let a swear word slip through... Sorry!!

Well, I'll start gathering all the information I need for rooting and stuff and I'll report back =) Hope nothing goes wrong!

decisions decision decisions... Cyanogen or mocado desire rom?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links