One month impressions & a couple problems....

This is a discussion on One month impressions & a couple problems.... within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey everyone... First Post! I have had my nexus one for about a month now. I came from an iPhone 3G that I have had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One month impressions & a couple problems....

One month impressions & a couple problems....

Hey everyone...

First Post!

I have had my nexus one for about a month now.
    I came from an iPhone 3G that I have had for two years.

Let me say, this has been the greatest decision. I love my nexus one sooooo much better than my old iphone...

I cannot wait for 2.2 (crossing my fingers for tethering, color trackball, and JIT)

Anyway, here are my initial impressions:

• This phone is way thin! I know the iphone is pretty thin, but when I first took the nexus one out of the box, I was struck by how thin it fells...
    • Screen is BEAUTIFUL as expected...
    • I am using the trackball way more than expected (works great for web browning)
    • Cell signal is not as good as my iphone... however, I live in miami, so this isn't much of a problem...
    • vibrator acts strangely (described later)
    • voice control does not work (described later)

Ok, so my main two issues...

The vibrator on this thing is way inconsistent....
    When receiving a phone call, if I hold the phone facing vertical, there is a noticeable, loud, rattling sound. If I hold the phone horizontal, the vibrator sounds normal. (I believe this is the autofocus motor ??)
    Also, with haptic feedback, the vibrator sometimes emits a loud "click" sound...(This time from the vibrator itself at the bottom of the phone, and not from the top of the phone) Most of the time I hear the vibrator silently pulse, but sometimes it emits a noticeable click sound...

My second issue is that voice control absolutely does not work... It doesn't matter if I am using speech to text on the keyboard, or hold down the search key for voice search... Whenever I bring up the voice input panel (that says "Speak Now"), the sound level on the microphone will not move, no matter how loudly I speak, and nothing will happen until I close the panel...

I don't really care about the vibrator issue (does anyone else experience what I am talking about) however, I find the voice control problem just stupid... what is going on?

I am also looking to get a case for my phone. Is the Innocase II any good? I had the incase slider for my iphone and it just scratched the heck out of the back of the phone... This the only reason I am reluctant to get a case for my beautiful new nexus one... Does the Innocase scratch the back of the nexus one?

Thanks everyone!
    I am loving my Nexus One :nexusx:

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The Innocase has definitely NOT scratched my N1. It's a great case, easy to remove (for use in the car dock) and offers excellent protection. It also looks great in black! :D

Yep..very tempted to get the Inno II case myself..10%OFF today, too! I've been naked ever since the Car Dock arrived, but the Inno II would be a quick and easy 'undressing' in the car...

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Yep..very tempted to get the Inno II case myself..10%OFF today, too! I've been naked ever since the Car Dock arrived, but the Inno II would be a quick and easy 'undressing' in the car...
    agreed - but I used to regularly took the case off my iphone and that basically destroyed it... I hear the innocase has some sort of felt interior to prevent this?

And, does anyone have any idea about the voice control... I would really love to use this feature.

That's odd that you are having problems with the voice recognition. Mine has always worked very good. The voice to texted works well enough for me. You might have a problem with your phone. I'm glade that you love your n1. I am pretty sure that you will get all that you want with 2.2. I've read a while ago that it should have the track ball lights and just now read that the teathering and JIT will be there.

NPuter, both of your problems sound like a defective unit to me. I have neither one of these problems. I recommend that you contact HTC to get it fixed.

The rattle is the lens cover on the battery cover. My original battery case does that sometimes too but I have the Seidio 3200mAh battery and case so that went away. Not sure about the voice to text issue as I haven't experienced that at all. I do have to keep the original battery and case in my vehicle though to use the car dock. If you get multiple texts or notifications at the same time it can make the vibration freak out a little and I get that when I go from bad coverage to good coverage and everything is catching up on notifications. My N1 is always on vibrate so I've gotten used to the different vibrations for different programs. The trackball colors would be a great addition especially at night when I go to sleep. :nexusx:

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    NPuter, both of your problems sound like a defective unit to me. I have neither one of these problems. I recommend that you contact HTC to get it fixed.
    I don't think I have a defective unit - I think the rattling when vibrating is just the autofoucs motor going crazy due to the vibrations like stated below...

Quote Originally Posted by mightytalldude View Post
    The rattle is the lens cover on the battery cover. My original battery case does that sometimes too but I have the Seidio 3200mAh battery and case so that went away. Not sure about the voice to text issue as I haven't experienced that at all. I do have to keep the original battery and case in my vehicle though to use the car dock. If you get multiple texts or notifications at the same time it can make the vibration freak out a little and I get that when I go from bad coverage to good coverage and everything is catching up on notifications. My N1 is always on vibrate so I've gotten used to the different vibrations for different programs. The trackball colors would be a great addition especially at night when I go to sleep. :nexusx:
    I think this is correct because when I apply gentle pressure to the camera lens while the phone is vibrating, the rattle completely goes away... Hopefully the added pressure of the case will solve this...

Oh, and I have pretty much decided to get a Black Innocase II

This voice control problem is really starting to bother me - I have restarted the phone multiple times, etc. and still nothing....
    I really do not want to reset my phone... I have just gotten it set up the way I like it...

I use to have the same issue with voice control, but it was do to HTC keyboard, even the fact that it is a keyboard it make the rest voice control over other parts of the phone useless. I recommend uninstalling apps that have to do with voice control

Note: New versions of the HTC keyboard work 100% now.
    This site generates custom skins for HTC Keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    I use to have the same issue with voice control, but it was do to HTC keyboard, even the fact that it is a keyboard it make the rest voice control over other parts of the phone useless. I recommend uninstalling apps that have to do with voice control

Note: New versions of the HTC keyboard work 100% now.
    This site generates custom skins for HTC Keyboard.
    That must be it... I have (and love) the HTC keyboard...

Would you mind pointing me to the link with the working version...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links