froyo available now??

This is a discussion on froyo available now?? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by naner2k i tried it using Windows and the update was successful. thanks for the help. the problem was when i first downloaded ...

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: froyo available now??

Quote Originally Posted by naner2k View Post
    i tried it using Windows and the update was successful. thanks for the help.

the problem was when i first downloaded the update files using Mac, the folder was automatically unzipped. then i tried to zip it. mac os added some more files inside the zip file. even after deleting these files, i still get the same error. on Windows, i downloaded the same file and it gave me update.zip. so i did not have to zip it. i simply copied it to the sdcard and ran the steps.
    Glad it worked out!!
    :nexusx: If you don't stand for something... You will fall for anything.:nexusx:

Can't see TapaTalk Pro on the MarketPlace running Froyo?

Quote Originally Posted by ithc42 View Post
    I just installed 2.2 and it seems fantastic. I want to thank Alphawave7 and others for their kind help and support. I would not have attempted the update without their input. I am very new to the Android world and am like a babe in the woods. I do intend to progress very quickly and learn as much as possible. this is the most helpful and kind forum I have had the pleasure to partake of. Many thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment! I pretty much wasted the whole day futzing and posting...but it was sucky outside anyway! :rofl3: Nice today, so a trip outdoors is in order.

Maris: I'll look into the RAM a bit more, but I suspect the Linux quirk applied to accessing the RAM for running apps, and that is what we gained with the change.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Maris: I'll look into the RAM a bit more, but I suspect the Linux quirk applied to accessing the RAM for running apps, and that is what we gained with the change.
    That's what I'm beginning to think. Well, once we can save apps to SD, it won't be so bad. I just won't d/l anything else for a while. Enjoy your bike ride!

I noticed - not sure if it was there in 2.1 but in Settings, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks there is an option Data Enabled. Enable data access over Mobile network.
    I unchecked it thinking that syncing and emails would come over the WiFi - NOPE, no emails came in until I put the check mark back.
    Any ideas as to why this is an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    That's what I'm beginning to think. Well, once we can save apps to SD, it won't be so bad. I just won't d/l anything else for a while. Enjoy your bike ride!
    I'm beginning to think that somehow this new release is using a folder on the SD card for RAM - sort of like Windows Vista and 7 with the Ready Boost feature. I noticed a new folder on my SD card named "DiskCacheIndex71141" If there is only 124MB Internal phone storage and I go to the Running Services and see at the bottom Other: 39MB in 3 Available 203MB+120MB in 15 something somewhere is happening to increase that 124MB.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    I'm beginning to think that somehow this new release is using a folder on the SD card for RAM - sort of like Windows Vista and 7 with the Ready Boost feature. I noticed a new folder on my SD card named "DiskCacheIndex71141" If there is only 124MB Internal phone storage and I go to the Running Services and see at the bottom Other: 39MB in 3 Available 203MB+120MB in 15 something somewhere is happening to increase that 124MB.
    I checked my SD card and I don't have a folder with that name, but I do have a file called "DiskCacheIndex12656" and my services says Other: 45MB in 3, Avail: 141MP+104MB in 14. Not sure what all that means.

This morning I had 22 MB free space for apps internally, and now, without deleting anything, I have 34 MB free. I wonder if it did some built-in housekeeping for me? Anyway, I do see quite an improvement in speed and no real problems. Just had to trash and re-make a couple of my home screen app shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    I checked my SD card and I don't have a folder with that name, but I do have a file called "DiskCacheIndex12656" and my services says Other: 45MB in 3, Avail: 141MP+104MB in 14. Not sure what all that means.

This morning I had 22 MB free space for apps internally, and now, without deleting anything, I have 34 MB free. I wonder if it did some built-in housekeeping for me? Anyway, I do see quite an improvement in speed and no real problems. Just had to trash and re-make a couple of my home screen app shortcuts.
    I googled trying to find some info on the RAM for our phones, but no luck. Maybe alphawave can shed some light.
    Now my readings are: Other:43MB in 3 Avail: 167MB+122MB in 12 - so something is happening in it to increase the memory.

The extra memory is coming from the new Linux kernel used in FroYo. The previous kernel didn't allow the addressing (using) of all RAM banks.

DiskCache files just hold frequently accessed data so it loads up more quickly. I always had them (more than one), but maybe because I was using Cyanogen rom. I'm not sure "what" data it's holding, but I've deleted mine on Cyanogen lots of times. They just keep being re-created

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    The extra memory is coming from the new Linux kernel used in FroYo. The previous kernel didn't allow the addressing (using) of all RAM banks.

DiskCache files just hold frequently accessed data so it loads up more quickly. I always had them (more than one), but maybe because I was using Cyanogen rom. I'm not sure "what" data it's holding, but I've deleted mine on Cyanogen lots of times. They just keep being re-created
    Thanks Rioja

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links