Froyo Feature: Bluetooth Voice Dialing

This is a discussion on Froyo Feature: Bluetooth Voice Dialing within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; One of the biggest thorns in Android's side so far has been lack of Bluetooth voice dialing. (These are phones, after all.) For those of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Froyo Feature: Bluetooth Voice Dialing

Exclamation Froyo Feature: Bluetooth Voice Dialing

One of the biggest thorns in Android's side so far has been lack of Bluetooth voice dialing. (These are phones, after all.) For those of you on-the-go who need to safely use the phone features without touching it you now have the option in Android 2.2.
    Once your device is paired and connected, a press of the action key brings up what you see above. You're greeted by a female robotic voice who also repeats your instructions. Seems fairly accurate (as accurate as my Blackberry or Pre), and worked well with both a Motorola MOTOROKR S305 set and a Jawbone Icon in my testing. Shout out Froyo-ers -- does your headset work, and how's your Bluetooth experience on 2.2?

Source: Jerry Hildenbrand from androidcentral (Froyo Feature: Bluetooth voice dialing | Android Central)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Can I as a genuine newbie on the forum ask what may be a silly question. What is the meaning of Froyo ?

I note that Android 2.2 is out, but not yet received as an update on my Nexus 1, here in Australia. Should I do a manual download, if so from where...

Quote Originally Posted by consul View Post
    Can I as a genuine newbie on the forum ask what may be a silly question. What is the meaning of Froyo ?

I note that Android 2.2 is out, but not yet received as an update on my Nexus 1, here in Australia. Should I do a manual download, if so from where...
    FroYo is the codename for Android 2.2, On 20 May 2010 the 2.2 (Froyo) SDK was released.

Changes Included:

• General Android OS speed, memory, and performance optimizations
    • Additional application speed improvements courtesy of JIT implementation
    • Integration of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome"]Chrome[/ame]'s V8 JavaScript engine into the Browser application
    • Increased Microsoft Exchange support (security policies, auto-discovery, GAL look-up, calendar synchronization, remote wipe)
    • Improved application launcher with shortcuts to Phone and Browser applications
    • USB tethering and WiFi hotspot functionality
    • Updated Market application with "batch" and automatic update features
    • Quick switching between multiple keyboard languages and their dictionaries
    • Voice dialing and contact sharing over Bluetooth
    • Support for file upload fields in the Browser application
    • Support for installing applications to the expandable memory
    • Adobe Flash 10.1 support

Your phone didn't show the over the air update because the update was only for selected lucky users..but you can still update manually.
    Here's how:
    Bummed out because you haven't received the OTA update for Android 2.2? Well it's time to turn that frown upside down! You can manually download the update here:http://rapidshare.com/files/39076451...7.1e519a24.zip or signed-passion-FRF50-from-ERE27.1e519a24.zip

Check out the step by step install guide brought to you by Phandroid.com

1. Download the Android 2.2 firmware for the Nexus One
    2. Rename the file update.zip and copy it to your microSD card via USB. [Note: make sure the file is named update.zip and not update.zip.zip.]
    3. Power down your Nexus One
    4. Hold down the “Volume Down” button as you power the phone back on.
    5. A screen should appear showing your phone’s system searching for various files. Scroll down to “recovery” and press the “Power” button.
    6. When you see the triangle with an exclamation point symbol, press the “Power” and “Volume Up” buttons at the same time.
    7. From the menu that appears, select “Apply sdcard:update.zip.”
    8. When the screen displays “Install from sdcard complete” select “reboot system now” and wait for the phone to power back up.

Voila! Your Nexus One should now be running Android 2.2!

I'm jumping out of my seat right now! I fumble my phone around in my car everday trying to dial a number to then use my BT headset. I've had my fingers crossed that Google would finally address this issue, but was bummed out when after only hearing about the hyped features like, the WiFi hotspot, JIT, and Flash. Don't get me wrong, those are great features, but they are icing on the cake and would have kinda made me mad if they ignored fixing this basic feature first. Now with the BT handsfree dialer issue resolved, I honestly can't think of one complaint I have about the phone. I don't think I've ever been able to say that about any phone I've owned.

FROYO Applications to SD Card

With the version 2.2 can one move applications to the SD card , or does one need to wait until until a program is designed specifically to be installed on the SD card before , as existing applications cannot be moved manually ?

it would be good if I can move most of them without waiting for newer versions of the software applications .

Quote Originally Posted by consul View Post
    With the version 2.2 can one move applications to the SD card , or does one need to wait until until a program is designed specifically to be installed on the SD card before , as existing applications cannot be moved manually ?

it would be good if I can move most of them without waiting for newer versions of the software applications .
    It's a flag that must be set by the devs.

Blutooth and action key

You mention a press of the Action key, can you please identify what exaclty is the "action' key you are referring to, on the bluetooth itself, or the phone ? Thanks,
    -----------------------------------------------------------

[QUOTE=jameskevin;52455]

One of the biggest thorns in Android's side so far has been lack of Bluetooth voice dialing. (These are phones, after all.) For those of you on-the-go who need to safely use the phone features without touching it you now have the option in Android 2.2.
    Once your device is paired and connected, a press of the action key brings up what you see above. You're greeted by a female robotic voice who also r

I have a motorola bluetooth headset and it works like a charm. I'm a happy camper.

By action key hess referring to the button on your headset that you use to initiate and end calls.
    [quote=consul;52496]You mention a press of the Action key, can you please identify what exaclty is the "action' key you are referring to, on the bluetooth itself, or the phone ? Thanks,
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by jameskevin View Post

Once your device is paired and connected, a press of the action key brings up what you see above. You're greeted by a female robotic voice who also r

I have a Plantronics bluetooth, only one button and bluetooth voice dialing does not work with the Plantronics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links