Froyo, GSM in the world and other questions

This is a discussion on Froyo, GSM in the world and other questions within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I had just about decided on the N1 when news of the move to retail outlets, and Froyo broke. So I'm back on the fence. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Froyo, GSM in the world and other questions

Froyo, GSM in the world and other questions

I had just about decided on the N1 when news of the move to retail outlets, and Froyo broke. So I'm back on the fence. I need the phone by mid-June. I'm reading that Froyo doesn't work with AT&T as yet? Has to be AT&T since I'm not changing carrier. Who would provide the support if 2.2 gets pushed to AT&T phone and it doesn't work? Any ideas as to who or when the retail option might be available? My first smart phone, don't thinnk I wnat to try rooting.

Also, since the AT&T carries only 2 of the 4 possible GSM bands, what countries outside of the US will this phone actually work in? Since thats my entire reason for sticking with AT&T.

Sorry, but its a big expense and everyone I know is wondering why i don't switch carriers or just get an iphone (hate apple, actually want a good phone).

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have a Nexus one on AT&T and it works great, just make sure when you order it to order the AT&T version. The AT&T one lists these bands:

Compatible with 3G on AT&T (U.S.) and some wireless providers in Canada.
    Supports three 3G/UMTS bands (850/1900/2100 MHz) and four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

I do not know anything about other nations cell providers....

EDIT: I am running 2.1 not Froyo, I'll just wait for the AT&T version of Froyo to hit before I upgrade, which is what most are doing.

If you root, you can run FROYO now on at&t. as for being a world phone, I would say it will work in 95% of the countries that uses GSM.
    If you do not plan on rooting, just wait for the official release. I have the tmobile version and I definitely can install FROYO manually but I am choosing to wait for the official release OTA.
    Plus I will be traveling to Hong Kong and Japan and i was told that I can use the phones there with no problems. Just buy a prepaid sim there and I am good to go.

I am running a Nexus One on AT&T and it's fantastic. No 3G connectivity issues and excellent service no matter where I go. I am running it on 2.1 update and not FroYo like many of us that own a N1 on AT&T. If you want FroYo that bad on an AT&T N1, it's not difficult. Just takes a little bit of research.

I am a former owner of the iPhone 3GS. Paid 199$ and sold it on eBay for 400$. I never switched data plans either. I am still using my iPhone plan for 30$ extra a month. I just read news that ETF's are raising with the iPhone, so for those who are switching, just keep your iPhone plan, unless you can switch data packages without the 375$ fee!

The Nexus One is a definite MUST HAVE. You will not be disappointed. :nexusx:

Quote Originally Posted by niqueh View Post
    Who would provide the support if 2.2 gets pushed to AT&T phone and it doesn't work?
    AT&T does not "support" the Nexus One no matter what OS you're using. It does just work.

I am also one with 2.1 and anxiously waiting for 2.2. It's a fabulous "phone". Cmon FroYo....

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Who would provide the support if 2.2 gets pushed to AT&T phone and it doesn't work?
    AT&T does not "support" the Nexus One no matter what OS you're using. It does just work.
    Not sure what type of "support" you are referencing. If you need warranty repair, Google / HTC provide that for your Nexus One no matter which carrier version you buy. This MIGHT change if/when the Nexus One is sold through the carriers.

If you mean firmware / software support, Android 2.2 (Froyo) is an example of where you'll get support. Google will continue to release updates to the Nexus One over the next X years. Your guess is as good as mine as to what X is though. I use for a guide that they have continued to update the G1 which is another "developer" type phone. A LOT of the internal Google developers have the Nexus One. Of course, we don't get access to their builds of the OS, but they should continue to update us for another year or two. That's still a lot more than a normal smartphone. My previous smartphone (AT&T Tilt) was updated twice by AT&T over the extended life of the phone and that was surprising.

Also, there is a very active non-Google development community at xda-developers. It's probable that community will continue to update for many years.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Thanks all, I'm feeling a bit more confident. I'm cautious becasue I was bought a phone (thru the AT&T online site/customer service) that I was assured would work in Europe. Then two days before I left I was informed differently by the instore folk, and had to pay full price for the Razr I have now. I was NOT a happy camper. I'm trying avoid making the same mistake twice.

Thanks all, I'm feeling a bit more confident. I'm cautious becasue I was bought a phone (thru the AT&T online site/customer service) that I was assured would work in Europe. Then two days before I left I was informed differently by the instore folk, and had to pay full price for the Razr I have now. I was NOT a happy camper. I'm trying avoid making the same mistake twice.

I know quite a few people who have a N1 that works fine over in Europe. An unlocked Nexus One will work in most parts of the world. You can find it here... Using the phone with a SIM card from your mobile service provider : Place an order - Nexus One Help

I'm curious as to why the AT&T N1 is not being sold any more on their web store? Their T-Mobile version is. Hmm??

Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post

I know quite a few people who have a N1 that works fine over in Europe. An unlocked Nexus One will work in most parts of the world. You can find it here... Using the phone with a SIM card from your mobile service provider : Place an order - Nexus One Help

I'm curious as to why the AT&T N1 is not being sold any more on their web store? Their T-Mobile version is. Hmm??
    Woo, that's odd... I just checked out that site earlier this morning and they had it then... Maybe some guy in the factory dropped a box of them and they all broke so they had to make some more. Or maybe they decided to to ship them out until they get Froyo on them. We could start all sorts of rumors with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post

Woo, that's odd... I just checked out that site earlier this morning and they had it then... Maybe some guy in the factory dropped a box of them and they all broke so they had to make some more. Or maybe they decided to to ship them out until they get Froyo on them. We could start all sorts of rumors with this one.
    Or maybe this is an Apple + AT&T CONSPIRACY!??? :rofl3: It is odd, but oh well. OTA update for FroYo will be here soon. Hopefully before Apple's upcoming conference!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links