Froyo WiFi Hotspot: Does this cost more money?

This is a discussion on Froyo WiFi Hotspot: Does this cost more money? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Awsome...thanks for da info man...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Froyo WiFi Hotspot: Does this cost more money?

Awsome...thanks for da info man

I was just wonder if anyone knows if T-Mo will be changing their plans sort of like At&t, or disabling the option that is built-in with 2.2. I mean right now with 2.2 you can connect computers via the built-in tethering and/or Wi-Fi hotspot, and as long as you have the unlimited Android web (which I do), you can stay connected forever without worrying about additional charges. I haven't called T-mo yet mainly because I don't want to put ideas in their heads, so I'm asking around first. I'm thinking about canceling my home internet (and save $50 a month) because the tethering works so well (I've been using it the past couple of days to see if I can survive with only 5 MBPS download speeds, and it's working well so far). I don't usually go over 5GB a month, so I don't think traffic would be an issue for me. Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyphoenix View Post
    I was just wonder if anyone knows if T-Mo will be changing their plans sort of like At&t, or disabling the option that is built-in with 2.2. I mean right now with 2.2 you can connect computers via the built-in tethering and/or Wi-Fi hotspot, and as long as you have the unlimited Android web (which I do), you can stay connected forever without worrying about additional charges. I haven't called T-mo yet mainly because I don't want to put ideas in their heads, so I'm asking around first. I'm thinking about canceling my home internet (and save $50 a month) because the tethering works so well (I've been using it the past couple of days to see if I can survive with only 5 MBPS download speeds, and it's working well so far). I don't usually go over 5GB a month, so I don't think traffic would be an issue for me. Thanks for any input.
    Whatever the answer to this question is right now, you can't rely on that being true in a few months when they see their wireless network being super-slammed. It's just not viable for people to be cancelling their home internet connections and switching to a wireless network that's limited in a way the wired connections aren't. They'll either block tethering completely (and there are many ways to detect it and block it) or they'll spot it and either slow you down or want to charge you more. Eventually they'll just get saturated and it won't work (ala AT&T in New York).

My provider here in Germany (O2) offer two 3G flat-rates. One for phones ($10/month) and one for laptops ($30/month). If I try and use my laptop through a tethered connection, I understand that I'll only obtain a GPRS connection rather than full 3G, although I haven't tried it. They've priced the laptop connection just at the level where it's still cheaper to get home DSL added to your phone account.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyphoenix View Post
    5GB a month wouldn't freak them out, but the problem is how frequently you DO go over, how much additional charges would there be? Reliability*: can you go w/o the net for a week if a tower goes down for repair? Those types of considerations. The way I see it, 3G (and even 3.5G) would be poor replacements for true hardline access, based simply on reliability alone. If a tower is down on my phone, I can simply find another, because I'm mobile...if it were my home connection, no such luck. Instead, if I were you, I would downgrade my home plan to the absolute cheapest (isn't there $19.99 plans anymore?) and use that as your home Lan service, tether when you want at home and when traveling.
    *real world example: I go to a concert, grab a few HD vids and want to upload them to Youtube, which takes several hours PER VID!....will the 3G tethered connection never hiccup, thus ruining your upload? I very much doubt it!..plus the overages is doing so...etc.

I use it once in a blue moon kinda way.. great in a pinch when one trabels..so no biggie there.. now if your tethering on a daily basis then yeah that might send a smoke signal or 2 and att will jack you up.

Although it is possible for them to tell, in practice, I have never heard of anyone getting called out for tethering. It costs nothing extra on your current plan, because all of the data is being passed through the phone. Tmo has the cap set at 5GB IIRC, as long as you do not exceed that month after month, they probably will never know. I tether all the time on vacation or when I am out of the house with my netbook and I dont have any problems. Once, while I was vacationing in seattle, I downloaded an entire 350MB TV show over 3G at around 2mbps (250kbps), as well as other surfing, and I did not have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Manacit View Post
    Although it is possible for them to tell, in practice, I have never heard of anyone getting called out for tethering.
    You will now that it's become an easy to find and easy to use option on a major phone OS. Watch this space, it'll happen soon.

It costs nothing extra on your current plan, because all of the data is being passed through the phone.
    The phone is just a routing proxy. All the useragent info and traffic profiling is there for the ISP to see.

Tmo has the cap set at 5GB IIRC, as long as you do not exceed that month after month, they probably will never know.
    That will probably come down if more people start using it. They have a limited amount of bandwidth.

I tether all the time on vacation or when I am out of the house with my netbook and I dont have any problems. Once, while I was vacationing in seattle, I downloaded an entire 350MB TV show over 3G at around 2mbps (250kbps), as well as other surfing, and I did not have any problems.
    They know where you live, so when you're tethering away from home they know you're not using it as an alternative to your home connection.

The finances and network limitations just don't all add up for the mobile ISPs to replace the home Cable and DSL business.

Now that tethering is a mainstream idea, things will change.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

While they can look at useragents, it wouldn't be financially viable for them to look at all of the useragents apart from the top top top tier of users who are using the most bandwidth, I doubt they have packet filtering systems that advance in place already, and it would be expensive to do so.

Tethering may become more of an issue as it becomes more mainstream, but from what I've seen so far, not many people even understand what it is, and not many people really care enough to do it. I think that with all of the other carriers charging an arm and a leg for data and tethering it could go one of two ways with Tmo. They could not charge extra and continue with their current plans and caps, which would definitely get them more customers, or they'll put in place restrictions like the other major carriers, which would suck.

Either way, tethering and just browsing the web like you do on your phone shouldn't be a problem, just don't download videos and stuff and keep it to simple web pages, you should be good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links