Froyo WiFi Hotspot: Does this cost more money?

This is a discussion on Froyo WiFi Hotspot: Does this cost more money? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Right now with AT&T I'm paying for the Smartphone data plan ($30/mo). If I enable the WiFi Hotspot feature, will computer data count as Smartphone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Froyo WiFi Hotspot: Does this cost more money?

Froyo WiFi Hotspot: Does this cost more money?

Right now with AT&T I'm paying for the Smartphone data plan ($30/mo). If I enable the WiFi Hotspot feature, will computer data count as Smartphone data? Or will I be charged a tethering fee?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Since your phone will give data to your PC, it's phone data. If you don't get excessive about it you shouldn't have any problems. They can't tell when it's just your phone using the data or the PC. But if you start download multi-gigabytes all the time, they might notice the difference.

Wow, really?! That's fantastic news. I'm surprised this feature isn't receiving more hype!

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Since your phone will give data to your PC, it's phone data. If you don't get excessive about it you shouldn't have any problems. They can't tell when it's just your phone using the data or the PC. But if you start download multi-gigabytes all the time, they might notice the difference.
    They can very easily detect if you're using the computer rather than the phone. The browser useragent string is the biggest clue. I know my service provider has different contracts for whether you use your 3G SIM card in your phone ($10/month flat-rate) or in a PC-dongle ($30/month flat-rate). I'd be surprised if they weren't actively looking for tether usage. On the other hand though, like Beer Goggles said, it may all depend on how much you use it. An occasional use would probably be tolerated, but if you go and cancel your home internet account and start downloading torrents all day long they'll soon be on your case.

Just remember, the 3G ISP's are fairly limited in their bandwidth ability. They simply can't support everyone using tethering as their main internet access for their computers. It won't work, it'll collapse in a big heap.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Technically at&t has a data plan with tethering. It will cost you $60 per month. 5gb limit.
    Nexus One (at&t)
    ROM: 2.2 w/root
    Recovery Amon-Ra 1.7.0
    ---

---
    HTC Evo 4g (sprint)
    ROM: SupererSonic 2.1
    Recovery ClockworkMod

Quote Originally Posted by jakkzen View Post
    Technically at&t has a data plan with tethering. It will cost you $60 per month. 5gb limit.
    Man. See, this is what I don't want. How can I know if I'll be charged $60 for tethering? Do I just have to try it and find out?

What about t-mobile? Am i going to have to pay tethering fee if i use it??

Quote Originally Posted by pc_michael View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jakkzen View Post
    Man. See, this is what I don't want. How can I know if I'll be charged $60 for tethering? Do I just have to try it and find out?
    They cant charge you. If anything they will warn your account.

Quote Originally Posted by arana.roger1 View Post
    What about t-mobile? Am i going to have to pay tethering fee if i use it??
    I am using it right now. Not paying jack. Just stay under 8gb a month.

jah
    It'd be nice if there were a way to specify what kind of traffic to allow - eg block all media, etc.

I wonder if you could do this with opendns, actually. Can't you change the dns setting on the phone? Anybody know? Then you could control what kind of traffic you get, although it'd be difficult w dynamic ip addresses (I assume).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links