How much of Nexus/Android is cloud based?

This is a discussion on How much of Nexus/Android is cloud based? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by Beer Goggles As others have said, the phone keeps data and syncs with the "cloud". Imagine what an idiotic design it would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much of Nexus/Android is cloud based?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    As others have said, the phone keeps data and syncs with the "cloud". Imagine what an idiotic design it would be to expect a phone to have a "100% of the time" cellular data link. That ain't never gonna happen ever. So they can't design it that way.
    And yet they designed a cellular phone system that requires a radio signal to function at all - and that signal doesn't exist in MANY areas of the US and the world. Since they did create this rather flawed cellular phone system, I certainly wouldn't put it past them to be "idiotic" enough to create a smart phone that requires a data link to function.

Quote Originally Posted by compa View Post
    As others have said, the phone keeps data and syncs with the "cloud". Imagine what an idiotic design it would be to expect a phone to have a "100% of the time" cellular data link. That ain't never gonna happen ever. So they can't design it that way.
    And yet they designed a cellular phone system that requires a radio signal to function at all - and that signal doesn't exist in MANY areas of the US and the world. Since they did create this rather flawed cellular phone system, I certainly wouldn't put it past them to be "idiotic" enough to create a smart phone that requires a data link to function.
    You're not making any sense whatsoever. Of course the phone functions without a signal. You just can't do anything that requires a signal unless you have a signal. In other words, they created a wireless system that requires a wireless signal.

How the heck else would you do it?

But to create a phone where NO data actually lives in the phone and requires the wireless signal 100% of the time would, indeed, be idiotic and no one does it that way.

I actually have a Nexus One sitting on the floor in front of me in an unopened box but I'm having second thoughts about it. I need to know just how much of what the Nexus does requires an Internet connection and how much is internal to the phone. 3G isn't always available (for that matter it isn't rare that there is no signal at all !&@#).

I understand that the phone uses many of Google's online services, so a few questions about how it uses those services:

In calendar, is the calendar viewable/editable without an active Internet connection? In other words, does the phone maintain any data at all?

In mail, is any old mail (sent or received) stored on the phone?

Is the GPS useless without access to Google Maps?

Are contacts stored on the phone? Are contacts editable on the phone? Can they be stored (and accessed) on a PC (without Internet access)?

Any other functions that don't work without Internet access?

Are there apps that would act like the old Palm Desktop but for Android phones? (Palm Desktop is a PC program similar to MS Outlook that came with Palm Treo phones - no Internet involved).

Thanks!
    heres my take:

In calendar, is the calendar viewable/editable without an active Internet connection? In other words, does the phone maintain any data at all?

*** yes the phone keeps the data even without 3g/wifi. you can add/edit entries but it wont sync if you dont have 3g/wifi. it will eventually sync when you get connection though

In mail, is any old mail (sent or received) stored on the phone?

*** gmail defaults by storing the last 4 days of email. and yes these are stored on the phone.

Is the GPS useless without access to Google Maps?

*** GPS can be used by other apps not requiring maps. maps is almost useless for me since there is no navigation or directions for my country. maps is just a map. lol.

Are contacts stored on the phone? Are contacts editable on the phone? Can they be stored (and accessed) on a PC (without Internet access)?

*** yes contacts are stored in the phone. i use a mac and have my mac address book sync to google contacts. when i dont have internet, they stay there. syncing to google contacts happens when i get connection. contacts are editable on the phone... changes will sync to google contacts then sync to your computer (if you set it up to apple addressbook or outlook for windows) when you get connection. no connection just doesnt get you synced up.

Any other functions that don't work without Internet access?

*** navigation wont work without internet access. apart from that everything works apart from those that obviously need internet (facebook, twitter, browsing)

Are there apps that would act like the old Palm Desktop but for Android phones? (Palm Desktop is a PC program similar to MS Outlook that came with Palm Treo phones - no Internet involved).

*** im an old school palm user!!! palm III, palm vx, centro! nope.. no "palm desktop" type of software. you dont need it! just have everything synced to the cloud. just get your desktop software (outlook?) synced to the cloud as well. i dont even use cables to sync now... everything is done automatically via the cloud... or if you are not connected all the time... syncing then happens when you do get connection. the only time i plug it in to my mac is when i would like to transfer music/movies.

hope this helps.

A wireless radio phone system is highly cost effective (affordable to the masses) for urban suburban and semi-rural areas. If you spend significant time in rural or remote areas, you are better served by satellite phones and data (been there, done that, too). It's not cheap, either..but you do what you gotta do.

djb
    This discussion is mostly pointless, and not answering the question of the original poster.

Yes, the Nexus 1 is still a very useful device without phone service. But it does need occasional access to the internet. Except for a brief period when I inserted my AT&T card, I've been using mine with WiFi only. Almost every feature of the phone works on WiFi.

I use SIPdroid for SIP phone service, but it drops the connection when the phone isn't being actively used, so it's not a reliable way to receive phone calls. And of course you can't make calls when not connected to the WiFi. You *can* use your contact list when making SIP calls, with just an extra button press to confirm.

All of the apps can be downloaded, updated, and run on WiFi. They generally run better on WiFi than with the unreliable and unpredictable internet performance of most wireless phone systems.

You will need to preload map data e.g. get turn-by-turn directions before you leave WiFi coverage. And the phone won't be able to re-route along the way if you deviate from the path. It will continue navigation if you resume along it's original turn-by-turn route.

I find it useful to look at the map along the route before I leave WiFi coverage. Google Maps caches the map sections you've recently looked at, so you can still access them on the road. But again, having a map section doesn't mean it can re-route or generate a new route.

Quote Originally Posted by djb View Post
    This discussion is mostly pointless, and not answering the question of the original poster.
    I believe that if you read the posts, you'll see that the questions were more than adequately answered.

Basically, the phone is not 100% "cloud" based. But when it needs an internet connection, it needs an internet connection.

Google is big on the cloud, so as you might expect it uses lots of stuff that is in the cloud. But for "personal" stuff, like contacts, etc. it keeps the data in BOTH places and syncs them together on a regular basis (if there is a connection to the cloud).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links