How much of Nexus/Android is cloud based?

This is a discussion on How much of Nexus/Android is cloud based? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I actually have a Nexus One sitting on the floor in front of me in an unopened box but I'm having second thoughts about it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of Nexus/Android is cloud based?

How much of Nexus/Android is cloud based?

I actually have a Nexus One sitting on the floor in front of me in an unopened box but I'm having second thoughts about it. I need to know just how much of what the Nexus does requires an Internet connection and how much is internal to the phone. 3G isn't always available (for that matter it isn't rare that there is no signal at all !&@#).

I understand that the phone uses many of Google's online services, so a few questions about how it uses those services:

In calendar, is the calendar viewable/editable without an active Internet connection? In other words, does the phone maintain any data at all?

In mail, is any old mail (sent or received) stored on the phone?

Is the GPS useless without access to Google Maps?

Are contacts stored on the phone? Are contacts editable on the phone? Can they be stored (and accessed) on a PC (without Internet access)?

Any other functions that don't work without Internet access?

Are there apps that would act like the old Palm Desktop but for Android phones? (Palm Desktop is a PC program similar to MS Outlook that came with Palm Treo phones - no Internet involved).

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

RMaps + mobile atlas creator is useful for offline mapping, though gps can take longer to find if it doesn't use the network

Wow. You have an unopened Nexus One box infront of you...you have some patience.
    Contacts are stored on the phone and are synced with gmail. I think emails are stored online if you use web based email. But I think other emails can be saved to the phone.
    You can open and edit calendars on your phone. That also syncs with google calendars....once you get internet access. Look, there is an app for pretty much everything that you require of the phone....so tear that box open and enjoy!
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

If email has been downloaded (synced) to your phone, then it's available there. You can go back and read it without a data connection. Same goes for Calendar & Text Messages.

Contacts are no problem, all available without data.

Google Maps should work with GPS and no data connection since it's a real GPS in the N1, not just aGPS. But I haven't tried it.

Of course you can't get things you need to "fetch"... like a web page in the browser. Or syncing app data with Google or wherever.

Actually Google Maps downloads the Map Data from the internet on a on demand basis. The phone does have a GPS chip so internet is not required for GPS location however you would need a GPS program that stores the maps on your phone to use it without an internet connection.

Don't worry about the phone being "cloudy". It is a regular phone! But a suuuuuperduuuuuuper good one!

This is NOT the phone for you if you don't plan on a wireless data plan. Without data, this phone is far less useful, and managing data access will be a pita.

Thanks for the answers so far. I do have and intend to keep a data plan - I just happen to frequent areas with very spotty service. Just because I may be somewhere where the service is non-existent doesn't mean I don't need to know when and where my next appointment is!

I do have an external antenna and amplifier in my truck ... and it helps a lot. But there are some areas where signal simply does not exist!

Quote Originally Posted by compa View Post
    Thanks for the answers so far. I do have and intend to keep a data plan - I just happen to frequent areas with very spotty service. Just because I may be somewhere where the service is non-existent doesn't mean I don't need to know when and where my next appointment is!

I do have an external antenna and amplifier in my truck ... and it helps a lot. But there are some areas where signal simply does not exist!
    Email, contacts, calendar, etc all sync with Google. Email in particular, you can set which labels to sync with (it's inbox only by default). So, unless you never are in areas with data access, it should not be an issue since you will always have a copy stored on the phone.

As others have said, the phone keeps data and syncs with the "cloud". Imagine what an idiotic design it would be to expect a phone to have a "100% of the time" cellular data link. That ain't never gonna happen ever. So they can't design it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links