Froyo- Biggest improvements for me so far

This is a discussion on Froyo- Biggest improvements for me so far within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Okay, thanks for y'all's input. I'm still getting use to this phone as I held on to my previous for about 5 or so years; ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Froyo- Biggest improvements for me so far

Okay, thanks for y'all's input. I'm still getting use to this phone as I held on to my previous for about 5 or so years; still learning details about 3G, Android, etc. Also, forgive my ignorance on this tech stuff, but does the strength of the 3G affect the function of the portable hotspot in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post

I'm really curious what you guys mean with the arrows. Do you not have the 3G or bars at all? Here's a screenshot of mine. You see 3G at the top with the bars beside it. 3G has arrows... is that what you mean?

I always thought the bars represented the signal strength from your phone's service provider, not the strength from the 3G. I thought the arrows underneath the "3G" indicated the signal strength for that as it would always illuminate when in use and would turn dark when not in use... Or just flicker with one arrow which I assumed represented the amount of strength I was receiving.

If the bars do indeed represent the strength of 3G, then what represents the service provider's strength?
    The arrows indicate activity, one for uplink and one for downlink, so if they are lit then there is communication between your phone and the cell site. You'll notice them grey a lot because you're not doing anything and sometimes they will flicker when you're not because of network overhead, background data, etc. The bars to the right of that indicate the signal strength between your phone and the tower, its just a basic RSSI meter, which corrolates to the quality and speed of your connection.

If you have wifi active, the 3g icon tends to disappear because I would imagine it clutters the notification area, but the bars are still there to show you how strong your connection is to the cell tower. It stays lit because even though you're using wifi for data, your calls are still going through the cell tower.

If you aren't on wifi and don't see the 3g icon, or any other icon, but are still able to make calls, then it's probably a bug.

Also, the bars don't represent the speed of the 3g data, so you could have full bars at one place and only have 100kbps, and have 2 bars somewhere else and have 2000kbps, its just an indicator of signal strength, not link speed.
    EXCELLENT summary!

The bars don't represent the speed of the 3g data, so you could have full bars at one place and only have 100kbps, and have 2 bars somewhere else and have 2000kbps, its just an indicator of signal strength, not link speed.
    (In Russian accent) Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddy intresting

Thank you for the info

Thatguy-

It's interesting that your battery life has gotten worse since the update, while both of mine have gotten much better. I wonder if it's due to a particular app. My wife also has a Nexus One that I applied the same Froyo update to, and she also notice a huge increase in battery life on the first day. We both have very different configs (email, screen brightness, she leaves BT off unless she uses, while I leave it on all the time, she's on WiFi most of the time, while I am usually on 3G or E, etc.) as well as very different apps. You may want to check the battery usage in "About Phone" to see if battery usage percentage has spiked for one or more apps since your Froyo install. There may be an app that needs an update.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerbri View Post
    Regarding Froyo (the one floating around, not the OTA)-

Along with all the other great things that others have mentioned, for me, the two biggest improvements/fixes are:
    * Bluetooth problems with car system FIXED!!! (2007 Infiniti G35s w/nav)
    * Battery life is SOOOOOOOO much better.

Those, two things were very important to me, and adding the WiFi hotspot, tethering, improved speed, and improved camera, I could care less whether the OTA version has any further improvements.
    Glad to hear Bluetooth may have been improved with Froyo - my Parrot bluetooth car kit constantly cuts out with my N1, never happened with previous phones, can't wait now for the OTA update - hope it fixes my BT the same as it did for you :-)

the speed boost, the battery life increase, wifi hot spot and tethering. Oh and of course Flash.. Makes all my iphone owning friends wish they were not stuck in their contacts. Gotta Love My Nexus!!!!! a nice cold cup of FroYo....

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post

I'm really curious what you guys mean with the arrows. Do you not have the 3G or bars at all? Here's a screenshot of mine. You see 3G at the top with the bars beside it. 3G has arrows... is that what you mean?

I always thought the bars represented the signal strength from your phone's service provider, not the strength from the 3G. I thought the arrows underneath the "3G" indicated the signal strength for that as it would always illuminate when in use and would turn dark when not in use... Or just flicker with one arrow which I assumed represented the amount of strength I was receiving.

If the bars do indeed represent the strength of 3G, then what represents the service provider's strength?
    The arrows indicate activity, one for uplink and one for downlink, so if they are lit then there is communication between your phone and the cell site. You'll notice them grey a lot because you're not doing anything and sometimes they will flicker when you're not because of network overhead, background data, etc. The bars to the right of that indicate the signal strength between your phone and the tower, its just a basic RSSI meter, which corrolates to the quality and speed of your connection.

If you have wifi active, the 3g icon tends to disappear because I would imagine it clutters the notification area, but the bars are still there to show you how strong your connection is to the cell tower. It stays lit because even though you're using wifi for data, your calls are still going through the cell tower.

If you aren't on wifi and don't see the 3g icon, or any other icon, but are still able to make calls, then it's probably a bug.

Also, the bars don't represent the speed of the 3g data, so you could have full bars at one place and only have 100kbps, and have 2 bars somewhere else and have 2000kbps, its just an indicator of signal strength, not link speed.
    The input completely make sense.
    No more confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerbri View Post
    Thatguy-

It's interesting that your battery life has gotten worse since the update, while both of mine have gotten much better. I wonder if it's due to a particular app. My wife also has a Nexus One that I applied the same Froyo update to, and she also notice a huge increase in battery life on the first day. We both have very different configs (email, screen brightness, she leaves BT off unless she uses, while I leave it on all the time, she's on WiFi most of the time, while I am usually on 3G or E, etc.) as well as very different apps. You may want to check the battery usage in "About Phone" to see if battery usage percentage has spiked for one or more apps since your Froyo install. There may be an app that needs an update.
    Here's a reading from my current battery use setting (at about 58% life left)

2hrs 15mins 12secs since unplugged.

Voice Calls- 49%
    Display-29% (Living Circles wallpaper)
    Android OS-7%
    Maps-3%
    Cell Standby-3%
    Android System-3%
    Phone Idle-3%

Voice Calls- 49%
    Android OS-7%
    Maps-3%
    Cell Standby-3%
    Android System-3%
    Phone Idle-3%
    Were you pretty much talking since the phone came off of the charger? 49% on voice calls is pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

Voice Calls- 49%
    Android OS-7%
    Maps-3%
    Cell Standby-3%
    Android System-3%
    Phone Idle-3%
    Were you pretty much talking since the phone came off of the charger? 49% on voice calls is pretty high.
    I made about 3 calls since it came off the charger, each lasting no more than 15-20 minutes each. Prior to installing 2.2, I would normally make 5 or 6 calls throughout the morning and the battery would be at about 70-75%. I also text pretty heavily and use Gmail quite a bit, but by just purely making phone calls I wouldn't expect the battery to be nearly half gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links