Receive FM Radio on N1 like on HTC Desire

This is a discussion on Receive FM Radio on N1 like on HTC Desire within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Look, if they were going to enable this in Froyo - don't you think they would have mentioned it at the Google IO during the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Receive FM Radio on N1 like on HTC Desire

tjp
    Look, if they were going to enable this in Froyo - don't you think they would have mentioned it at the Google IO during the keynote. Hell, yes! This would have been a major feature enhancement and Vic would have shown it for sure! The fact that there was no mention of this radio should put these FM theories to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    Look, if they were going to enable this in Froyo - don't you think they would have mentioned it at the Google IO during the keynote. Hell, yes! This would have been a major feature enhancement and Vic would have shown it for sure! The fact that there was no mention of this radio should put these FM theories to bed.
    Actually no, I don't agree with this at all. Google IO was about Android (at least the sessions we are talking about here), not the Nexus One. Not all android devices have FM chips and so if they are implementing FM it won't be a feature of Android as such, just of the Nexus One rom. There's therefore no reason they would have mentioned it at IO, especially given it wouldn't be big news anyway as the Desire already has it.

I'm not saying I think that the final release of Froyo will have FM (especially as I saw a Google employee on Xda Dev confirm, not so long ago, that FM isn't anywhere in their short term plans for the Nexus One), however I don't think the fact it wasn't mentioned at the IO is not really significant.

tjp
    Quote Originally Posted by Belistner View Post
    Actually no, I don't agree with this at all. Google IO was about Android (at least the sessions we are talking about here), not the Nexus One. Not all android devices have FM chips and so if they are implementing FM it won't be a feature of Android as such, just of the Nexus One rom. There's therefore no reason they would have mentioned it at IO, especially given it wouldn't be big news anyway as the Desire already has it.

I'm not saying I think that the final release of Froyo will have FM (especially as I saw a Google employee on Xda Dev confirm, not so long ago, that FM isn't anywhere in their short term plans for the Nexus One), however I don't think the fact it wasn't mentioned at the IO is not really significant.
    You know, now that I think about it, you're right. They were talking in the more broader scope of Android. I withdraw my gripe.
    I also agree with you that FM still isn't coming to the N1. Maybe the N2?

You know, now that I think about it, you're right. They were talking in the more broader scope of Android. I withdraw my gripe.
    I also agree with you that FM still isn't coming to the N1. Maybe the N2?
    Anyone's guess. Its annoying because I really really would love to have it (particularly the transmitter). I just don't think its a priority for Google unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcradio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    I care a lot more about the transmitter then receiver... any word on that working?
    Yes, me too. I would think that way I could broadcast into my car's radio to listen to music.

i bought a cheap (£60) bluetooth enabled head unit for my car, and i am able to stream music to it over A2DP with stock 2.1, also means i can skip tracks with the headunit controls too.

might be an alternative to consider

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    I care a lot more about the transmitter then receiver... any word on that working?
    Yes, me too. I would think that way I could broadcast into my car's radio to listen to music.

i bought a cheap (£60) bluetooth enabled head unit for my car, and i am able to stream music to it over A2DP with stock 2.1, also means i can skip tracks with the headunit controls too.

Oo interesting. Thanks very much for the info.

Do you have a link to where you bought it from? I have previously looked into this but, at Halfords at least, I found them to be prohibitively expensive.

Do you need special software on the phone? Am I right in thinking that A2DP is the Bluetooth protocol? Is it supported on the phone by default?

Thanks

Oo interesting. Thanks very much for the info.

Do you have a link to where you bought it from? I have previously looked into this but, at Halfords at least, I found them to be prohibitively expensive.

Do you need special software on the phone? Am I right in thinking that A2DP is the Bluetooth protocol? Is it supported on the phone by default?

Thanks
    yeah it just treats it like a pair of bluetooth headphones, plus when 2.2 comes out then the headunit has a microphone for handsfree calling

it's called the MT2300BT and is made by Mutant Audio, i got mine off ebay. My main reason was that it had an SD card, but the bluetooth was a nice bonus. Audio quality is ok, nothing special. PM me if you buy one and have any problems figuring it out.

yeah it just treats it like a pair of bluetooth headphones, plus when 2.2 comes out then the headunit has a microphone for handsfree calling

it's called the MT2300BT and is made by Mutant Audio, i got mine off ebay. My main reason was that it had an SD card, but the bluetooth was a nice bonus. Audio quality is ok, nothing special. PM me if you buy one and have any problems figuring it out.
    Hi

Thanks for this amazing tip. I went out and picked myself this over the weekend:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5006449/Trail/searchtext%3ECAR+RADIO.htm

Works amazing. I no longer care about FM functionality!

Thanks again

Lewis

Hi

Thanks for this amazing tip. I went out and picked myself this over the weekend:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5006449/Trail/searchtext%3ECAR+RADIO.htm

Works amazing. I no longer care about FM functionality!

Thanks again

Lewis
    So what do you think of the radio having used it for a while? Does the BT link up ok?
    Does the N1 understand the instructions from the radio?
    Is it possible to make/receive calls only pressing the appropriate button on the radio?
    Can you control playback of music (initiate playback, change track, select track/album etc) on the N1, by using controls on the radio?

Thanks for posting the link to this radio. Just wanted to make sure that it does all I want it to...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by onexus View Post

So what do you think of the radio having used it for a while? Does the BT link up ok?
    Does the N1 understand the instructions from the radio?
    Is it possible to make/receive calls only pressing the appropriate button on the radio?
    Can you control playback of music (initiate playback, change track, select track/album etc) on the N1, by using controls on the radio?

Thanks for posting the link to this radio. Just wanted to make sure that it does all I want it to...

Cheers
    Hi

Apologies for the somewhat delayed reply.

Yes, I cannot recommend the radio highly enough. I liked it so much I actually bought another one for my girlfriend’s car!

Bluetooth audio works flawlessly and took about 30 seconds to set up. I have not had the opportunity to try the hands free function with my Nexus One, however with my girlfriend’s Blackberry it works perfectly and the audio is very clear on the other end. When she first rang I couldn’t tell she was in her car!

The skip track buttons on the radio work, skipping the track on the Nexus One. I use Spotify, however I noticed that the stock music player seems to respond to them when Spotify is not running.

Connection is automatic (for both media and hands free) as long as Bluetooth is enabled on the phone. Very seamless, it will connect within a few seconds of you turning on the ignition.

In answer to your specific questions:

1) In relation to media playback, the N1 understands skip track only. There appears to be no way to start playing from the radio.

2) Yes you can answer calls and dial numbers you have programmed in from the radio panel. You can also dial arbitrary numbers, however the numbers are a little awkwardly laid out so I wouldn’t recommend that while driving!

3) As I say above, only skip track appears to work. I only use Spotify, however I don’t believe there are any buttons that would allow you to change album or playlist. You’d have to do that from the phone screen. Again you cannot initiate playback as far as I can tell, however I will experiment.

All in all I would highly recommend it. Any more questions please feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks

Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links