Receive FM Radio on N1 like on HTC Desire

This is a discussion on Receive FM Radio on N1 like on HTC Desire within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; The HTC Desire is basically an HTC branded N1 right? Well how come the Desire has a working FM radio receiver that you can tune ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Receive FM Radio on N1 like on HTC Desire

Receive FM Radio on N1 like on HTC Desire

The HTC Desire is basically an HTC branded N1 right?

Well how come the Desire has a working FM radio receiver that you can tune to local stations and yet the N1 does not ?

I have looked through this forum but can see no categoric answer to this other than that the N1 does have a radio receiver - just seems it's not enabled or something. Does Froyo enable it ? Anybody managed to get the FM radio to work - even if it meant using a custom ROM ?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The 'current' Froyo build hasn't enabled it. Maybe it'll be in the final, maybe it wont.

Paul @ MoDaCo has come close to getting it working on his Desire port, but not just yet.

I have seen no confirmation that the Nexus One has an FM receiver. I have read that the chipset it has is known to have an FM transmitter, but I have seen no confirmation that anyone is actually even able to enable that portion of the chipset (it may even be a case where the vendor was able to get cheaper chips because the FM portion did not need to be tested, so it may or may not work for particular handsets)

It has the same FM Rx/Tx chip as the Desire.

The Nexus One has the Broadcom BCM4329 chip which can send and receive FM signals.

Broadcom’s latest combo chip BCM4329 to bring 802.11n WiFi to mobile devices

That doesn't mean that any supporting circuitry/antennae were designed into the Nexus One to take advantage of that though. All speculation about Nexus One and FM are based simply on the fact that they're using a chip that can do it. It's not unusual to have chips that can do multiple things but you only use it for some of what it can do.

For example, my TV can view youtube videos, but only if I connect it to my LAN. If I don't, then it can't. So the question is, were the Google/HTC designers interested in having their phone transmit FM (e.g. to your car radio) and/or receive FM signals from local radio stations (and have a crappy signal as all these mini devices with FM capability do).

I wouldn't get excited about receiving FM signals on a portable device. It always suffers terribly from the lack of having a 4 foot antennae plugged into it. The earphone cable is a very poor substitute, and without that it would be even worse.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

The Desire port almost works, it will scan and pick up stations, just not output sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    The Desire port almost works, it will scan and pick up stations, just not output sound.
    That's a perfect example of the missing circuitry. You don't just need to have a chip that knows what sending and receiving FM is. You also have to wire that chip up to antennae, audio circuitry in and out, digital info in and out (so you can tell it what frequency to choose and it can return info back to you). I'm not saying HTC haven't done it, but you can see that it's not automatic that it will be all hooked up in all the needed ways just because it's on the chip.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

I care a lot more about the transmitter then receiver... any word on that working?
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    I care a lot more about the transmitter then receiver... any word on that working?
    +7 for the TX....

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    Yes, me too. I would think that way I could broadcast into my car's radio to listen to music.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links