App to auto dial numbers in Email body

This is a discussion on App to auto dial numbers in Email body within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by dd4005 Originally Posted by warren So to me it is a massive issue and one of the main reasons I sold my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: App to auto dial numbers in Email body

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    So to me it is a massive issue and one of the main reasons I sold my last Nexus One.
    :confused: You thought buying another one would resolve it ? :confused:
    I thought (or rather hoped!) that froyo would resolve this issue but sadly that is not the case.

Also the introduction of Sat Nav to the UK persuaded me to try Android again - my Nexus One does everything else I require so I guess I will live with this quirk until it is either fixed or someone comes up with a solution or App.

There have been quite a few other posts from UK owners complaining about this shortcoming.

Warren you can now CC&P from within Gmail

the introduction of Sat Nav to the UK persuaded me to try Android again
    You've got Sat Nav in the UK now? Awesome. Welcome to the 20th Century. We've had it in the rest of the world since about 1995 :rofl3::rofl3:
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Speaking as a developer, I imagine it's quite difficult to spot a UK telephone number in a mail. A US one if formatted like 123-4567 or 123-456-7890 would be fairly easy to spot (and make clickable) but the UK ones vary so much it's hard to spot one. A London one might look like 020 7890 1234, and then there's the stupid people that think the London area code includes the 7 (or 8) and would list that number as 0207 890 1234.

I imagine if I was writing the parser to look for (and make clickable) phone numbers in a text, I'd just look for a grouping of numbers up to say, 15 of them, and ignore any punctuation.

The problem with the developments of Google is that they start out in Google Labs, which are basically side-projects that the google engineers (which I know half a dozen of) do on their free day. This is the day where they get to develop ideas they've had and see if they end up becoming something useful. So they're designing for the 90% case (basically America) and figure that if it becomes popular, they'll later fill out the final 10% and make it complete. I expect a lot of things go so far as beta and get released even without being completed properly.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

mah
    Speaking as a developer, I imagine it's quite difficult to spot a UK telephone number in a mail. A US one if formatted like 123-4567 or 123-456-7890 would be fairly easy to spot (and make clickable) but the UK ones vary so much it's hard to spot one. A London one might look like 020 7890 1234, and then there's the stupid people that think the London area code includes the 7 (or 8) and would list that number as 0207 890 1234.

I imagine if I was writing the parser to look for (and make clickable) phone numbers in a text, I'd just look for a grouping of numbers up to say, 15 of them, and ignore any punctuation.
    Regular expression parsing for the win. Writing a matchable expression is not too difficult, and its easy to filter through numerous ways people will type their numbers, even accounting for ignoring user mistakes and still recognizing the number (assuming the mistake is not a wrong value for a digit, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by NexusRocks View Post
    Thanks for that - I was aware that Froyo introduced copy and paste - however I am unable to select text contained in the email I receive.

Long press on the body of text does not enable copy - am doing something wrong?

the introduction of Sat Nav to the UK persuaded me to try Android again
    You've got Sat Nav in the UK now? Awesome. Welcome to the 20th Century. We've had it in the rest of the world since about 1995 :rofl3::rofl3:
    I meant Google's introduction of turn by turn Nav on Android devices in the UK, but I suspect you already new that.

Speaking as a developer, I imagine it's quite difficult to spot a UK telephone number in a mail.
    Clicking a number contained in an email is a standard feature on Symbian, Blackberry and the iphone so if other smartphones are capable why not Google's self proclaimed superphone!?

Quote Originally Posted by NexusRocks View Post
    Thanks for that - I was aware that Froyo introduced copy and paste - however I am unable to select text contained in the email I receive.

Long press on the body of text does not enable copy - am doing something wrong?
    Yeh it's not exactly intuitive. You have to go the Menu,>More>Select text.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoody View Post

Yeh it's not exactly intuitive. You have to go the Menu,>More>Select text.
    Thanks - I had worked that bit out, but how do I paste into the dialler and can I select just the number as opposed to all text?

Hi. For regular US/Canadian style numbers you just need to Press and hold them in the email and the number will be pasted into the dialer. If your system is different, do the Menu>More>Select text thingie and the selected text will be copied to the clipboard. Then go to the dialer and in the number window, press and hold. A menu will come up, select Paste.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links