US ATT Customer Traveling to UK. Need advice on Nav options

This is a discussion on US ATT Customer Traveling to UK. Need advice on Nav options within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I will be traveling to the UK (England and Ireland) and will be taking my ATT N1 with me (I have an unlimited data plan ...

Thread: US ATT Customer Traveling to UK. Need advice on Nav options

Question US ATT Customer Traveling to UK. Need advice on Nav options

I will be traveling to the UK (England and Ireland) and will be taking my ATT N1 with me (I have an unlimited data plan in the states, but don't plan on conserving data minutes while abroad). I would like to use my device as a Nav unit, and purchased the Google/HTC dock to take with me. What's the best way to do this without eating up tons of data minutes while traveling?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well first of all you don't want to use data while roaming out of the US is crazy expensive without international data plan. With that being said, you have a few choices. You can purchase a international package which will allow you to have limited data access. These international plans are very expensive also. The other option would be to use a provider from overseas. See what kind of deal you can get.
    Nexus One (at&t)
    ROM: 2.2 w/root
    Recovery Amon-Ra 1.7.0
    ---

---
    HTC Evo 4g (sprint)
    ROM: SupererSonic 2.1
    Recovery ClockworkMod

how long will you be in the UK? just discovered ndrive today! its an offline gps... no need for data.

im in the philippines and i found out that it had a map for me to use. tried it earlier today going to work and it was ok. gotta try it more though.

it has a 7 day free trial (per map). i suggest you go download it... then download your US maps on trial. try it out then go download the UK maps when you are about to leave or when you get to the UK (via wifi). just 7 days though.... or just buy the UK map on its own.

Get MapDroyd from the market. It's free, and you can select the maps you want to download for offline viewing. It's not exactly a nav app, but it's not bad.

i use Rmaps and mobile atlas creator, for making offline maps

if the phone is unlocked then you can buy a PAYG sim card and get "unlimited" data for not very much money per month (sim cards are almost free, top up is about £10-20 p/m). three.co.uk, orange, or O2 might be your best bets for this. Check what their fair usage policy states. 3G and HSPDA is fairly widespread, unless you are going to remote rural scotland, or the countryside.

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    if the phone is unlocked then you can buy a PAYG sim card and get "unlimited" data for not very much money per month (sim cards are almost free, top up is about £10-20 p/m). three.co.uk, orange, or O2 might be your best bets for this. Check what their fair usage policy states. 3G and HSPDA is fairly widespread, unless you are going to remote rural scotland, or the countryside.
    I would say that this is your best option. Pop into any of those network stores or a Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U and pick up a Pay&Go Sim. Use the Top Up card its comes with to whack £20 or so on it and away you go. Just look for the best data deal.

I know your Nexus is the AT&T model, but I *think* (and someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong) you will still get 3G over here (least that's what Wikipedia leads me to believe). Failing that you should at least get GPRS.

Then you can use Google Maps/Navigation which works really well (at least for me).

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links