Gmail "Reply" button chops email?

This is a discussion on Gmail "Reply" button chops email? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I noticed whenever I reply to someones email, Gmail automatically cuts part of the original email. Is there any way to prevent this?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gmail "Reply" button chops email?

Gmail "Reply" button chops email?

So I noticed whenever I reply to someones email, Gmail automatically cuts part of the original email. Is there any way to prevent this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post
    So I noticed whenever I reply to someones email, Gmail automatically cuts part of the original email. Is there any way to prevent this?
    I have noticed that too, and curious if there is a way to fix that. It does make me wonder though about this happening and gmail's infamous conversation view style of web mail.

It doesn't "chop" it. It just collapses it. You can click to expand it.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzy View Post
    We aren't talking about that, we're talking about the actual email body. You send an email, you get a reply, at the bottom of your reply is the original email and that is what is cut off with a ... added to replace what was cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzy View Post
    We aren't talking about that, we're talking about the actual email body. You send an email, you get a reply, at the bottom of your reply is the original email and that is what is cut off with a ... added to replace what was cut off.
    That's it. Also when my friends receive a reply from me they only receive my latest reply and cuts off the original message with "..."

I agree that this is an annoying feature and it would be good if we had the option whether or not emails are truncated.

Hopefully 2.2 will fix this (can anyone confirm?).

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    I agree that this is an annoying feature and it would be good if we had the option whether or not emails are truncated.

Hopefully 2.2 will fix this (can anyone confirm?).
    It's the same in 2.2.

While I see how someone could find it annoying, I think that's just the way Google threaded email works. You can always open the previous threads to read the entire message.

Also, whenever I've replied or forwarded a message I've never had it cut-off. Yes, it shows the "..." on my N1 but it always sends the full message to the other person for me.

Maybe Google should implement the clickable "show quoted text" link like they do in the full browser version.

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post

While I see how someone could find it annoying, I think that's just the way Google threaded email works. You can always open the previous threads to read the entire message.
    The point is that the email trail becomes truncated for the recipient of my email.

I use Gmail for my Google Apps account having recently migrated from Exchange. Almost all of my clients and contacts use Outlook and Exchange and it seems ridiculous that I am unable to control whether or not emails are truncated - after all they do not have conversation views.

Gmail emails are not truncated in K9 and plain text email trails were not truncated on my previous Nokia S60 phones.

For me, Android is so close to being perfect for my (primarily) business needs but it is quirks like this that I find incredibly frustrating and will surely be a major obstacle to Android rivalling other smartphones in the corporate environment.

@ Warren so does it make you not want the phone anymore? I mean is it as big as it really seems, what you're saying? Because I want to get this phone also, in the next month or so, and i have clients as well and send emails back and forth....but if this is a major problem, I miiiiight have second thoughts....let me know please. Thank You

Well I'm on my second Nexus One, having sold my first on Ebay a few weeks ago.

However the announcement of 2.2 revived my interest in Android and the Nexus One.

Main reasons for selling last time were:

No Nav in the UK - now available

Unable to dial out from PC via bluetooth - hopefully resolved with Froyo's chrome to phone

Unable to select a number contained in an email to dial out - hopefully resolved in Froyo with cut & paste

Gmail truncation - remains with Froyo

As you can see I did have a number of issues that led me to sell last time although I am hopeful that Froyo will resolve the majority of these and it is clear that Android will continue to evolve and improve - so in summary truncated email (in Gmail) is an annoying feature although not sufficient enough to stop me investing in a second Nexus One 3 weeks after I sold my first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links