Why switch from 3G to WiFi?

This is a discussion on Why switch from 3G to WiFi? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; At home my 3G speeds are nearly as fast as my wifi speeds. I have 20mb internet, too. The bottleneck is how fast the snapdragon ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why switch from 3G to WiFi?

At home my 3G speeds are nearly as fast as my wifi speeds. I have 20mb internet, too. The bottleneck is how fast the snapdragon can render the webpage not the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T&C View Post
    3G speed at 256 vs wifi at home @50mg..

Thats a no brainer, you all with ATT are in for issues with the cap.

Not necessarily. When I had my iPhone, I used it religiously for college and my job as a police officer and my data was NEVER close to the 2GB DataPro plan that AT&T has released.

Of course with the N1 running background apps, this could prove me wrong.

Does anyone know how much data they average a month? Let me know!
    I just went back and looked at the last several months usage. This was split among my N1 (for the last 2+ months), a blackberry 9700 and an iPhone 3GS. It was all over the map, depending on how much travel I did, but the low was just under 500MB and the high was just over 1.5GB.

Quote Originally Posted by TheScavenger View Post
    At home my 3G speeds are nearly as fast as my wifi speeds. I have 20mb internet, too. The bottleneck is how fast the snapdragon can render the webpage not the connection.
    maybe something wrong with your N1? with WiFi, I consistently can get 13000kbps.. with 3G, i'm lucky to get 3000kbps. besides numbers from the speedtest Snapdragon can render pages a lot faster than the speed provided by 3G... WiFi FTW in my situation.

If wifi is faster that is one good reason, my 3G is super fast in my area so that is not my reason. I think if more people used their wifi while at home and when they could the traffic on the internet would not be so crowded, just being green and I think it's just smart.:blackberry: >

mah
    Quote Originally Posted by niqueh View Post
    Since my Wireless is set to allow only specific MAC address components to tap in, how would I find my phones mac address?
    Settings->About Phone->Status, close to the bottom you'll find the wifi MAC address.

Quote Originally Posted by robsw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T&C View Post
    3G speed at 256 vs wifi at home @50mg..

Thats a no brainer, you all with ATT are in for issues with the cap.

Not necessarily. When I had my iPhone, I used it religiously for college and my job as a police officer and my data was NEVER close to the 2GB DataPro plan that AT&T has released.

Of course with the N1 running background apps, this could prove me wrong.

Does anyone know how much data they average a month? Let me know!
    I just went back and looked at the last several months usage. This was split among my N1 (for the last 2+ months), a blackberry 9700 and an iPhone 3GS. It was all over the map, depending on how much travel I did, but the low was just under 500MB and the high was just over 1.5GB.
    It is pretty sporadic. Last month i used around 700MB, this month I've used 4.95 which is pretty close to your cap. But i did some traveling and this was my computer. It's also steadily gone up each month as I somehow find a way to use it more.

i take the sim out when im abroad and just use wifi for everything,i even had fring on wifi talking to my mates

I was kind of hoping using the wifi would cut down on the recorded data usage on my phone, but no such luck. Checking the usage page, it was still adding to my data usage count. I've had the phone 1 week, and I'm at 196mb. AT&Ts position that folks will never go over 200mg? Well........ And I don't tweet, don't use videos, or even have my email pushed. I retrieve when I get to my phone, make a few call, download some apps and play with them a bit, a few texts, some FB posts and reads, and some browsing. Pretty basic stuff I'd say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links