How to retrieve mac address from phone

This is a discussion on How to retrieve mac address from phone within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by Oddjob633 i looked up on my phone and wi-fi has to be turned on to see the mac address otherwise it says ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to retrieve mac address from phone

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob633 View Post
    i looked up on my phone and wi-fi has to be turned on to see the mac address otherwise it says unavailable. i'm using froyo.

edit: once you've turned wifi on...the mac address stays shown whether its on or off until you power cycle the phone.
    That's my experience with 2.1 also.

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    i looked up on my phone and wi-fi has to be turned on to see the mac address otherwise it says unavailable. i'm using froyo.

edit: once you've turned wifi on...the mac address stays shown whether its on or off until you power cycle the phone.
    Sounds like a bug then, since the MAC is hard coded into the device.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

Sounds like a bug then, since the MAC is hard coded into the device.
    So far 4+ phones attest to what's been said.

If you think this is a bug, try this: turn off wifi. Then power off your phone. Power back up, then before turning wifi back on, check for the MAC.

Yes, the MAC is a hardware ID that's hardcoded somewhere but it's possible the phone doesn't populate that status field when wifi is disabled. I'd call it a bug since the value exists regardless of wifi being enabled or not but it's not really a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    Yes, the MAC is a hardware ID that's hardcoded somewhere but it's possible the phone doesn't populate that status field when wifi is disabled. I'd call it a bug since the value exists regardless of wifi being enabled or not but it's not really a big deal.
    Exactly... a minor bug.

So far 4+ phones attest to what's been said.

If you think this is a bug, try this: turn off wifi. Then power off your phone. Power back up, then before turning wifi back on, check for the MAC.
    keyplyr, do understand how a software bug works? It works the same on all hardware. The bug is in software. There is no reason why the device should not show its MAC regardless of the Wifi status.

This is a very minor bug no doubt. But a bug none the less.

And yes, I am a software engineer by profession.

I'm not arguing "why" only that it "doesn't." You said it did, and my phone and 2 others I looked at yesterday didn't show the MAC unless WiFi was on. Then another person here testified that it didn't on their phone either. Call it what you will, all I'm saying is it doesn't - this was the topic after all.

(And I wrote melodus in 1998)

Have you looked on the sticker under the battery? Should be printed along with the MEID number..

I hop you have more than just the mac filtering for security on your router.

Password, limited access, and MAC. Can only be accessed after another login/password to the router. An IT tech friend of mine set it all up. Even I can't get into it from my own house if I don't get all the pieces right.

And I did finally find the MAC address. Took turning off the phone after enabling the WiFi, and it was there the next time I looked. Never thought to check under the battery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links