Nexus One Data Roaming

This is a discussion on Nexus One Data Roaming within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'll be going on a cruise to Mexico, and will be roaming, both on the ship and in Mexico. I'm not interested in getting a ...

Thread: Nexus One Data Roaming

Nexus One Data Roaming

I'll be going on a cruise to Mexico, and will be roaming, both on the ship and in Mexico. I'm not interested in getting a Mexican SIM or anything for my time there, I don't plan on using my phone, however, I want to keep it on so I can be contacted in case of an emergency back home.

What I'd like to know, is having data roaming off reliable? I thought I read something about earlier versions of Android not obeying the data roaming off setting 100% of the time. Will there be any issues on the N1? I don't want a nasty data roaming bill because the phone was still checking email even with the setting off or something like that. Also, how do I know it's off? On my iPhone I had before this, the 3G/EDGE indicator was off when roaming, will it be the same on the N1? Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I just got back from a cruise to the Mexican Riveria two weeks ago. My carrier is T-Mobile. I called them and they turned on their International service (free) for my account. I then turned data roaming on to get service aboard the ship.

My ship was the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas. Its network was a bit patchy, but I was able to receive a few calls, texts & email and do the internet things I wanted to do. I knew it would be expensive but my cruise was free so I really didn't worry about it. This was to be a test anyway to see if I could really run my web sites from my N1.

Royal Caribbean's fee (passed along to me via T-Mobile) was $5 per Gigabyte of transfer. I use a FTP app to connect to my home computer and upload files to my remote server - works well but was a bit shocked to find out that the week's roaming charges were about $240.

[added] There are several APN apps in the Market that will effectively block connectivity.

I'll be on Mariner of the Seas too....how did you like it? I'm looking forward to the vacation.

My experience when going abroad with my iPhone was that with data roaming off, calls and texts would work like they always did, it was just data that didn't work, which is what I'm aiming for. Is it different on Android?

Didn't try to block data transfer so I can't answer that question - sorry.

I was utterly amazed how fantastic the Mariner of the Seas was. I'd never been on a cruise and I'm really glad I went (GF talked me into it.)

There are things to do almost every second. The entertainment was fantastic, and the food.... well you'll find out - LOL

Simply turning off Background Data, and 'un'Sync all your email accounts. You will have no coverage on board except in port, but emergency calls can also be routed to the bridge via their sat-phone, and a steward will alert you (RC can give you their emergency phone number). I don't know about ATT, but TMO roaming is expensive, so I just texted messages home, which were about 30 cents per, IIRC, above and beyond my sms/mms/texting plan. The ships wifi data is VERY expensive too, so beware! Oh and keyplyr, I think Oasis of the Seas dwarves your Maritime...but I'm a Holland America guy.

Mexico has TelCel SIM's (prepaid called 'Amigo') for around $20US in Cabo, IIRC, which had $15 airtime included, and a local Mexico number, was good for 60 days, unless refilled. It should work fine in Mazatlan and P.V., too! Enjoy your trip, and exercise to counteract the weightgain! :rofl3:

Turn your phone (or any other electronics for that matter) off and enjoy the cruise IMO
    I'm just really jealous...

Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    Turn your phone (or any other electronics for that matter) off and enjoy the cruise IMO
    I'm just really jealous...
    Actually, that's EXACTLY what I do nowdays...I give the family/friends the ships phone number, and swap my phone for my underwater camera!

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Simply turning off Background Data, and 'un'Sync all your email accounts. You will have no coverage on board except in port, but emergency calls can also be routed to the bridge via their sat-phone, and a steward will alert you (RC can give you their emergency phone number). I don't know about ATT, but TMO roaming is expensive, so I just texted messages home, which were about 30 cents per, IIRC, above and beyond my sms/mms/texting plan. The ships wifi data is VERY expensive too, so beware! Oh and keyplyr, I think Oasis of the Seas dwarves your Maritime...but I'm a Holland America guy.

Mexico has TelCel SIM's (prepaid called 'Amigo') for around $20US in Cabo, IIRC, which had $15 airtime included, and a local Mexico number, was good for 60 days, unless refilled. It should work fine in Mazatlan and P.V., too! Enjoy your trip, and exercise to counteract the weightgain! :rofl3:
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Questions...

What is 'background data' and where is the menu for configuring it?

Does the 'Amigo' SIM card deal include any data? How about texting?

Thanks!

I like the APNDroid widget so there's no chance you forgot to turn something off. One click does the trick.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links