iphone 4g in 3 words

This is a discussion on iphone 4g in 3 words within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by Beer Goggles Originally Posted by ardynine ahh that's exactly what i was thinking. I wanted apple to raise the bar and come ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: iphone 4g in 3 words

  1. #41
    Senior Member ardynine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    ahh that's exactly what i was thinking. I wanted apple to raise the bar and come up with something truly revolutionary. competition is amazing, we get better phones thanks to it! I don't like Apple, but I really do like having them around.
    I often wonder what, exactly, you folks think can be done/added/whatever that would be revolutionary.

    There is a plateau effect with most types of technology. This has happened with everything from PC's to laptop, to "office" software packages. It only changes when completely new technologies come along.
    look at the mainstream smart phones before the iphone, and then look at it after. They're all touchscreen with no visible keyboard (for the most part) with minimal hardware buttons. Yes, technologically speaking it's not "revolutionary" but it did change things. I doubt the nexus one would exist the way it is, if it wasn't for the iphone.
    Like i said, I don't like apple but I do appreciate them. Us, the consumers, are the ones to benefit the most from the competition.

  2. #42
    Member Frank_nexusone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    99
    Anyone see the resolution specs iPhone is 800:1 contrast ratio our nexus is a dominant 100,000:1 to me iPhone way over hyped they knew Droid was taking over and rushed to get out something to draw attention to them again yea the phone looks very sweet but still behind the Droid phones
    Iphone has an app for that.......Nexus does not need apps its already perfect

  3. #43
    Junior Member Beer Goggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    look at the mainstream smart phones before the iphone, and then look at it after. They're all touchscreen with no visible keyboard (for the most part) with minimal hardware buttons. Yes, technologically speaking it's not "revolutionary" but it did change things. I doubt the nexus one would exist the way it is, if it wasn't for the iphone.
    Like i said, I don't like apple but I do appreciate them. Us, the consumers, are the ones to benefit the most from the competition.
    You've missed the point completely. The original iPhone was at least somewhat "revolutionary", but what did people expect to be really revolutionary in the NEW iPhone? We reached the plateau in smart phones right now. There is nothing really revolutionary to be done.

    Personally, I think that the voice input on the Nexus One is a bit revolutionary. Many times I "talk" to my phone to do Internet searches. It's very fast and accurate.

  4. #44
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    look at the mainstream smart phones before the iphone, and then look at it after. They're all touchscreen with no visible keyboard (for the most part) with minimal hardware buttons. Yes, technologically speaking it's not "revolutionary" but it did change things. I doubt the nexus one would exist the way it is, if it wasn't for the iphone.
    Like i said, I don't like apple but I do appreciate them. Us, the consumers, are the ones to benefit the most from the competition.
    You've missed the point completely. The original iPhone was at least somewhat "revolutionary", but what did people expect to be really revolutionary in the NEW iPhone? We reached the plateau in smart phones right now. There is nothing really revolutionary to be done.

    Personally, I think that the voice input on the Nexus One is a bit revolutionary. Many times I "talk" to my phone to do Internet searches. It's very fast and accurate.
    Add to that IBM's Simon, the first smartphone released in 1992, had a touchscreen and no buttons. iPhone didn't debut until 2007, 15 years later. In the 15 years before iPhone, we were routinely using touchscreens in phones and PDA's (Palm/Handspring,etc.) so much that it simply made sense for iPhone to FOLLOW (again)...they did not create it, or change anything, imho. The iPhone's strength (and weakness) is the OS.

  5. #45
    Android Lurker aseems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    look at the mainstream smart phones before the iphone, and then look at it after. They're all touchscreen with no visible keyboard (for the most part) with minimal hardware buttons. Yes, technologically speaking it's not "revolutionary" but it did change things. I doubt the nexus one would exist the way it is, if it wasn't for the iphone.
    Like i said, I don't like apple but I do appreciate them. Us, the consumers, are the ones to benefit the most from the competition.
    You've missed the point completely. The original iPhone was at least somewhat "revolutionary", but what did people expect to be really revolutionary in the NEW iPhone? We reached the plateau in smart phones right now. There is nothing really revolutionary to be done.

    Personally, I think that the voice input on the Nexus One is a bit revolutionary. Many times I "talk" to my phone to do Internet searches. It's very fast and accurate.
    Add to that IBM's Simon, the first smartphone released in 1992, had a touchscreen and no buttons. iPhone didn't debut until 2007, 15 years later. In the 15 years before iPhone, we were routinely using touchscreens in phones and PDA's (Palm/Handspring,etc.) so much that it simply made sense for iPhone to FOLLOW (again)...they did not create it, or change anything, imho. The iPhone's strength (and weakness) is the OS.
    I think all of us agree on

    1) Prior to the iPhone there was just Blackberry RIM in the Smartphone consideration set
    2) the iPhone gave mass acceptance to no button smartphones
    3) Like in the PCs space> Phones are now being bought based on components and OS
    4) the Nexus One has been designed by Google Engineers (arguably the best in the world)
    5) Android has taken charge in promoting Open Source Mobile OS
    6) The iPhone 4 would not exist if Nexus One Had not been launched by Google
    7) The iPhone 4 is NOT REVOLUTIONARY - It's Evolutionary - spurred by competition

  6. #46
    Junior Member TheScavenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    21
    I thought the OP was gong to say, "Late to Party".

  7. #47
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aseems View Post
    I think all of us agree on

    1) Prior to the iPhone there was just Blackberry RIM in the Smartphone consideration set
    2) the iPhone gave mass acceptance to no button smartphones
    3) Like in the PCs space> Phones are now being bought based on components and OS
    4) the Nexus One has been designed by Google Engineers (arguably the best in the world)
    5) Android has taken charge in promoting Open Source Mobile OS
    6) The iPhone 4 would not exist if Nexus One Had not been launched by Google
    7) The iPhone 4 is NOT REVOLUTIONARY - It's Evolutionary - spurred by competition
    I take exception to 1, and somewhat to 2.
    Firstly, the PDA (a touchscreen-based PIM devices) were smartphone precursors, and the first 'real' smartphone was released by a spinoff company from PalmOS engineers, called Handspring, with their Visorphone. Circa 2001, the first hardware merger between a PDA/PIM and cellular service. (I seem to recall my Handspring Visor had a module that simply plugged into the top). Aside from hard buttons for the then-prevalent PDA functionality, all input was via touchscreen. Soon after, the Palm Treo, also produced by Handspring, came along with full QWERTY kb, which went head-to-head with RIM's first Blackberry. Both Treos and Blackberries remain(ed) fairly popular, but became watered down with offerings from Windows (CE 2002, Mobile) Nokia (Communicator series) Ericsson (who claims marketed the first 'smartphone' "Penelope" in 1997), launched SymbianOS in 2002 with the P800, a phone that had PDA/PIM plus 'modern' smartphone features like ringtones, audio/video playback/headphone jack,camera, color touchscreen, and email with attachment viewer...a full 5 years before iPhone(2007). To suggest these devices (and I owned many of these, as well as THOUSANDS of others like me, early adopters) were not part of the revolution of smartphones, and it was only RIM before iPhone as 'smartphones' is totally revisionist. Many of these units sold huge numbers, even PDA's were a rage on the scale of iPhone, and annual upgrades were a rite of endulgence, to the next shiny, thin, faster model.
    WRT buttonless, I haven't researched it, but so what...the only reason why the few buttons exist on G1/Nexus is because the public expects to have some sort of button shortcuts, just as they did on the Palm/Visor/Visorphone in the PalmOS days. I don't consider buttonless a major advancement, especially when it took iPhone over 7 years to 'invent' it, any one of the old school devices could have had it if there had been a demand. I for one appreciate having dedicated functionality buttons, hard or soft.
    I agree with the other points.

  8. #48
    Android Lurker aseems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aseems View Post
    I think all of us agree on

    1) Prior to the iPhone there was just Blackberry RIM in the Smartphone consideration set
    2) the iPhone gave mass acceptance to no button smartphones
    3) Like in the PCs space> Phones are now being bought based on components and OS
    4) the Nexus One has been designed by Google Engineers (arguably the best in the world)
    5) Android has taken charge in promoting Open Source Mobile OS
    6) The iPhone 4 would not exist if Nexus One Had not been launched by Google
    7) The iPhone 4 is NOT REVOLUTIONARY - It's Evolutionary - spurred by competition
    I take exception to 1, and somewhat to 2.
    Firstly, the PDA (a touchscreen-based PIM devices) were smartphone precursors, and the first 'real' smartphone was released by a spinoff company from PalmOS engineers, called Handspring, with their Visorphone. Circa 2001, the first hardware merger between a PDA/PIM and cellular service. (I seem to recall my Handspring Visor had a module that simply plugged into the top). Aside from hard buttons for the then-prevalent PDA functionality, all input was via touchscreen. Soon after, the Palm Treo, also produced by Handspring, came along with full QWERTY kb, which went head-to-head with RIM's first Blackberry. Both Treos and Blackberries remain(ed) fairly popular, but became watered down with offerings from Windows (CE 2002, Mobile) Nokia (Communicator series) Ericsson (who claims marketed the first 'smartphone' "Penelope" in 1997), launched SymbianOS in 2002 with the P800, a phone that had PDA/PIM plus 'modern' smartphone features like ringtones, audio/video playback/headphone jack,camera, color touchscreen, and email with attachment viewer...a full 5 years before iPhone(2007). To suggest these devices (and I owned many of these, as well as THOUSANDS of others like me, early adopters) were not part of the revolution of smartphones, and it was only RIM before iPhone as 'smartphones' is totally revisionist. Many of these units sold huge numbers, even PDA's were a rage on the scale of iPhone, and annual upgrades were a rite of endulgence, to the next shiny, thin, faster model.
    WRT buttonless, I haven't researched it, but so what...the only reason why the few buttons exist on G1/Nexus is because the public expects to have some sort of button shortcuts, just as they did on the Palm/Visor/Visorphone in the PalmOS days. I don't consider buttonless a major advancement, especially when it took iPhone over 7 years to 'invent' it, any one of the old school devices could have had it if there had been a demand. I for one appreciate having dedicated functionality buttons, hard or soft.
    I agree with the other points.

    Thanks for your input Alpha... but i was just trying to "KISS" - Keep It Simple
    I'm still reeling from your prolix discourse

  9. #49
    Senior Member FC1032's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    371
    My 3 words:

    Under-speced, Over-hyped phone

    To be honest, if the exact same phone was made by another company, it would not sell AS well. It sells well because its made by apple.

    P.S did any of you's read the press release? The put the word "ever" at the end of everything It's so annoying!!!

  10. #50
    Senior Member dimmakherbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    475
    Here are Samsungs 3 words:
    Amoled is Better

    Samsung responds to Apple, Retina VS AMOLED | Android Community
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Android Forum