Keeping WIFI on all the time

This is a discussion on Keeping WIFI on all the time within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; wow. .5% an hour is about the best possible standby possible. Can I assume you pretty much havn't used your phone at all today?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping WIFI on all the time

wow. .5% an hour is about the best possible standby possible. Can I assume you pretty much havn't used your phone at all today?
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    wow. .5% an hour is about the best possible standby possible. Can I assume you pretty much havn't used your phone at all today?
    Pretty close, yeah. As I said, I'm normally a pretty light user, even though it is my only personal phone (no land line at home anymore).

Even then, I was surprised it was still over 90% this late in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalamar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    Pretty close, yeah. As I said, I'm normally a pretty light user, even though it is my only personal phone (no land line at home anymore).

Even then, I was surprised it was still over 90% this late in the day.
    Sweet, what ever your doing keep it up! My standby is alot higher, and i know why), but I don't charge my phone overnight, i charge it at night so that it doesn't overcharge, i unplug in the 90's usually and with higher standby it is much lower in the morning. I will eventually get enough motivation to fix it...
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Indeed, random people on the Internet are not automatically credible. No matter to which forum they are posting.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion due to imprecise or incorrect use of terms.

First, your phone always tries to stay "connected" to the cellular network in the sense that it needs to make itself known to the cellular network and maintain this "connection" in able to do anything at all within that network (voice or data). That "connection" is always ON unless you lose signal completely. The Wifi network is very similar. So there is always some transmit/receive going on just to keep on the cellular network.

Secondly, what really consumes power is transmitting data. The 3G transmitter definitely uses more power then the Wifi. It must typically transmit over a much greater distance, so that only makes sense.

Thirdly, in a digital network (cellular) voice is data (just not that much data).

So your phone never "disconnects" from the 3G/EDGE network just because you're using Wifi. But, it does not need to use 3G/EDGE for Internet traffic so there is very little transmit/receive going on over the cellular radio (saving power).

Now, if you have a TON of background processes that require Internet data, then leaving Wifi on all the time might help battery life. If you don't, then it will hurt battery life. This is why it's all very dependent on how you're using the phone.

1. Yes, no one is automatically credible based solely on conjecture, that includes me and you.

What imprecise terms are you talking about.

2. You are disconnected from the mobile network. Voice and data are treated differently in cellular networks.

Attached is a histogram displaying battery activity. I used a setting profile app to automatically turn off wifi for 4 hours, after I ended all active apps, and turned the screen off for the night(err--morning, yes I went to bed at almost 6 in the morning). No streaming music, no data intensive apps running in the background.

Red lines indicate the test period, orange lines indicate battery drain.

For the first 4 hours there is a battery drain of approximately 5%, with WiFi turned on.

For the next 4 hours there is approximately 15% battery drain, with WiFi turned off, and 3G active.

NOTE: there is no device activity at all during the 3G connection phase, and about an hour or so activity during the WiFi test period, and there is still only 1/3 the amount of drain.

I've done this on several occasions, and have gotten similar results. I can't get a good screenshot of the previous results, since they will be condensed and pretty hard to read/analyze. I had planned on doing this over a week or so, so maybe I'll post more results later, but for now, I think the graph speaks for itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

One of the imprecise terms that I was talking about is "connected". There is a big difference between being connected in the sense that you're always connected to your cellular network regardless of whether you're connected to the Internet.

I don't disagree with your results.

Quote Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
    Attached is a histogram displaying battery activity. I used a setting profile app to automatically turn off wifi for 4 hours, after I ended all active apps, and turned the screen off for the night(err--morning, yes I went to bed at almost 6 in the morning). No streaming music, no data intensive apps running in the background.

Red lines indicate the test period, orange lines indicate battery drain.

For the first 4 hours there is a battery drain of approximately 5%, with WiFi turned on.

For the next 4 hours there is approximately 15% battery drain, with WiFi turned off, and 3G active.

NOTE: there is no device activity at all during the 3G connection phase, and about an hour or so activity during the WiFi test period, and there is still only 1/3 the amount of drain.

I've done this on several occasions, and have gotten similar results. I can't get a good screenshot of the previous results, since they will be condensed and pretty hard to read/analyze. I had planned on doing this over a week or so, so maybe I'll post more results later, but for now, I think the graph speaks for itself.
    Hey, sorry for taking this a bit o/t but what is that application?? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by T5Dave View Post
    Hey, sorry for taking this a bit o/t but what is that application?? Cheers
    SystemPanel App / Task Manager

Well my WiFi goes to sleep irrespective of the sleep policy. Don't know where the problem lies.

Thanks, this was helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links