Why does memory decrease between shutdowns?

This is a discussion on Why does memory decrease between shutdowns? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I use advanced task killer to stop apps from running because I've noticed that once the memory gets below about 40m my nexus one becomes ...

Thread: Why does memory decrease between shutdowns?

Question Why does memory decrease between shutdowns?

I use advanced task killer to stop apps from running because I've noticed that once the memory gets below about 40m my nexus one becomes somewhat sluggish. Because of the task killer app I've also noticed that if I leave my phone on for a few days the available memory will decrease from roughly 120m at initial start-up all the way down to 60m when I finally restart the phone to get back up to 120m of available memory.

I have only 4 apps that are on the ignore list for task killer but for some reason the memory available keeps decreasing despite the fact that I keep killing apps that are running. Why does the available memory keep declining until I restart the phone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Try this

Try going to:

Home > Settings > Applications > Manage applications and sort by memory size

Go into each application (w/ the biggest sizes) and clear the cache. That should help restore a ton of memory.

Just in case - I've checked into applications that automatically do this for you, at current time (April '10 really) the only apps that cleared out ur 'cache' memory for you only worked on rooted devices

alot of poorly written programs will fail to release cache memory and each time it starts up the app will "request" more memory, effectively "hording" memory.

BTW, Advance Task killer sucks (sorry)

Try using Advanced Task Manager free. Much better although not as "quick" as Advance task killer but it seems alot more complete to me

You know there is an app in the market that can clean cache without needing to be rooted called Quick App Clean Cache. It does the job well and saves time. Go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLmobileG1 View Post
    You know there is an app in the market that can clean cache without needing to be rooted called Quick App Clean Cache. It does the job well and saves time. Go check it out.
    Schaweet! Been looking for this type of app for a while!

I can't find that in the market... different name?

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax323 View Post
    I can't find that in the market... different name?
    nope, that's the correct name. I just found it in the market. (it's not free tho)

I don't know doesn't exist in market for me.

True... its not free but definitely worth the little money that it does cost. It brings all the caches to one place so you don't have to waste your time looking for each of them to clear them out. Saves time that's for sure and can help free lots of memory. The one reason I purchased it was because of my G1 and always running low on memory.... still works great on my Nexus One though. Maybe once Froyo is released and more developers use apps2sd it wont be needed as much... still good to have though.

Even scanned QR code of it from the net, and it's not in my market at all. Not a USA app??

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links