N1 hardware built to be replaced?

This is a discussion on N1 hardware built to be replaced? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I was thinking to myself "Was the N1 built so that it's hardware could be replaced for updated versions?" This was on my mind because ...

Thread: N1 hardware built to be replaced?

N1 hardware built to be replaced?

I was thinking to myself "Was the N1 built so that it's hardware could be replaced for updated versions?" This was on my mind because I remember reading on the web on how easily it was to take apart the N1. Imagine you could purchase new hardware to replace the old and be able to properly use it with newer android software. Just take apart the N1 replace the component you want and voila your phone is "new" again. If Google went by this approach the may not have a newer N1 annually, but new components to replace the old if you wanted to. Hmmmmm........

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

it's sounds good, but VERY unlikely
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

Devices like the N1 (as well as modern laptops) are pretty much ONE unit. So you're pretty much replacing the whole thing. Not real practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Devices like the N1 (as well as modern laptops) are pretty much ONE unit. So you're pretty much replacing the whole thing. Not real practical.
    Kinda like Macs...

Let's say there will be a new N1 every year. I think it could be very interesting if you had the option to separately purchase a component for the new N1 and use it for your old N1 as long as the newer N1's and their components are very similar in design to the original. You could update your touch screen or camera or whatever.

What I'd really like to replace is the antenna so I could be able to use it with the carrier I want. Unless of course the antenna has something to do with the software. I have the T-mobile version and unfortunately I can't use the phone outside north america, except on wi-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by arhidia View Post
    Let's say there will be a new N1 every year. I think it could be very interesting if you had the option to separately purchase a component for the new N1 and use it for your old N1 as long as the newer N1's and their components are very similar in design to the original. You could update your touch screen or camera or whatever.

What I'd really like to replace is the antenna so I could be able to use it with the carrier I want. Unless of course the antenna has something to do with the software. I have the T-mobile version and unfortunately I can't use the phone outside north america, except on wi-fi.
    I guess you were not paying attention or reading.

The device is a SINGLE UNIT. Designed that way. It's not MODULAR. Most small devices are this way now. Like laptops,etc.

I guess you were not paying attention or reading.

The device is a SINGLE UNIT. Designed that way. It's not MODULAR. Most small devices are this way now. Like laptops,etc.

Yes, the device motherboard is pretty much one piece. but in the (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) event that google decides to release updated motherboards one could in theory replace the parts and keep the housing and other pieces of the nexus.

Which i guess might save like 100 bucks on housing, screen, etc.... but between spending $300+ on a new motherboard for the same phone, people are going to just spend the 300 and buy a NEW phone.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Re: N1 hardware built to be replaced?

Devices like smartphones and generally small lectonics aren't modular and components aren't replaceable. Manufacturers design it that way to shrink the device's size.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links