N1 heat issue while charging + GPS?

This is a discussion on N1 heat issue while charging + GPS? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've been doing quite a bit of research on the net on this topic but the answers were highly inconsistent. I currently have a Moto ...

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: N1 heat issue while charging + GPS?

  1. #1
    Member yhbae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    53

    N1 heat issue while charging + GPS?

    I've been doing quite a bit of research on the net on this topic but the answers were highly inconsistent.

    I currently have a Moto car charger which charges quite fast. When I use it along with GPS app running in the car, the phone gets hot pretty fast. Normally, it runs around 30C, but it hits to 40C real fast and just continues to go up. I have SetCPU installed so that it slows down to 245Mhz when it its 40C but still, it slowly goes up. It appears that screen on + charging + GPS on causes a lot of heat issues. Once it reaches about 45 - 50C, the screen becomes less responsive and sometimes, touch senses go out of wack.

    Right now, I am using SetCPU to slow it down to 245Mhz and screen at 20% (terrible during the day in the car) and it is barely usable. Copilot live has a useful mode that turns screen off until the next turn, and this has saved me many times during long travel. Since Google Navigation is now available in Canada, I am going to experiment with it as well but I doubt that will make any differences.

    So what are other people's experiences? I am currently using Enom 1.8.1 ROM. (I tried 1.9.2, and that version hit 50C much much faster!)

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Senior Member ap3604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    226

    Quote Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
    It appears that screen on + charging + GPS on causes a lot of heat issues.
    Any phone will get like this from using those three together. Here is how I keep mine nice and cool:
    - turn off wifi/Bluetooth
    - search for directions with 3g data on for faster results
    - once I get directions I go to settings and tell the phone to use 2g networks only
    - last but not least, turn off the screen (since it will say the directions anywhoo)

    With these steps I can keep my phone at a cool 89*F while running the gps

  4. #3
    Member yhbae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
    It appears that screen on + charging + GPS on causes a lot of heat issues.
    Any phone will get like this from using those three together. Here is how I keep mine nice and cool:
    - turn off wifi/Bluetooth
    - search for directions with 3g data on for faster results
    - once I get directions I go to settings and tell the phone to use 2g networks only
    - last but not least, turn off the screen (since it will say the directions anywhoo)

    With these steps I can keep my phone at a cool 89*F while running the gps
    My Wifi/blue tooth are off. I only use 2G since I am on the "wrong" carrier (intend to go to WIND eventually ) Personally, I don't like turning screen off since visual clues do help a lot especially in the unfamiliar areas.

    Does this happen to all high-end phones? My previous phone (HTC Magic) never overheated or even get close to hot with everything on. If I recall correctly, even the screen was at max brightness. But HTC Diamond did get real hot.

    As I mentioned, I am suspecting it is the combination of screen and active charging that is causing this heat issue. When the battery is at or near 100%, it does not overheat. When I use Copilot with screen off most of the time, it does not overheat. I don't suppose Google Navigation has this feature?

  5. #4
    Senior Member dimmakherbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    475
    Mine gets hot, but not that hot.

    IIRC my google nav is darker at night using less brightness of the screen, but I doubt that really helps as this is probably more daylight issue.

    I have my car dock up high, like above the rear view so the dock and the phone are never in sunlight (although this would be different car to car, AND the fact that I have done this in my wifes car where the universal dock is square in the window.

    My last suggestion and one that may be the differnce between us is that I have a charging profile on SetCPU and put the CPU to somewhere in the 600-700s while charging. I think by the time you go into 'overheat' type protection its a bit late.
    More specifically while charging I am currently set up to 768max and 245min. This makes my charging very cool and my phone rarely gets over 80F and during the whole charging, GPS deal it doesn't get over 105F

    hope that helps

    Quote Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
    It appears that screen on + charging + GPS on causes a lot of heat issues.
    Any phone will get like this from using those three together. Here is how I keep mine nice and cool:
    - turn off wifi/Bluetooth
    - search for directions with 3g data on for faster results
    - once I get directions I go to settings and tell the phone to use 2g networks only
    - last but not least, turn off the screen (since it will say the directions anywhoo)

    With these steps I can keep my phone at a cool 89*F while running the gps
    My Wifi/blue tooth are off. I only use 2G since I am on the "wrong" carrier (intend to go to WIND eventually ) Personally, I don't like turning screen off since visual clues do help a lot especially in the unfamiliar areas.

    Does this happen to all high-end phones? My previous phone (HTC Magic) never overheated or even get close to hot with everything on. If I recall correctly, even the screen was at max brightness. But HTC Diamond did get real hot.

    As I mentioned, I am suspecting it is the combination of screen and active charging that is causing this heat issue. When the battery is at or near 100%, it does not overheat. When I use Copilot with screen off most of the time, it does not overheat. I don't suppose Google Navigation has this feature?
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

  6. #5
    Member yhbae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    53
    Thanks for the tip. I am going to try lower CPU clock during charge.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

nexus one heating up while charging

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum