Nexus one or My touch slide *please help*

This is a discussion on Nexus one or My touch slide *please help* within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; okay so I have a g1 right now but I'm going to upgrade and I came down to the nexus or the mytouch slide and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus one or My touch slide *please help*

Nexus one or My touch slide *please help*

okay so I have a g1 right now but I'm going to upgrade and I came down to the nexus or the mytouch slide and I want to pick the right phone because if I make the wrong decision I will have to keep the phone for almost 2 years for my next upgrade. I heard the mytouch looks smooth and the htc sense theme is cool. But the nexus one has a better screen the the mytouch and it can compete with others but its media,contact, and message display is oldschool kind of like the g1 so I'm kind of stuck

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

lets put it this way.
    The MyTouch 3g has been out for what, like 2 years or more? They are still left on Donut.
    Likily the slide is coming with 2.1, but you better be happy with that because its quite possible that in your time with the phone it may not get any better!

Supposedly HTC is going to upgrade any phone out this year, but its becoming quite clear that anyone not using Vanilla Android is getting the shaft from the company producing the phone. It seems to me that HTC and Motorola have not calculated in the cost of programming their garbage overlays to new versions of Android and get it to their users. They should just save the cost entirely upfront and do their customers a service!

I understand other manufactures are trying to differentiate themselves with these overlays, but it seems to me they are already differentiated because of carrier.
    T-moble gets the Nexus One, Sprint gets EVO, Verizon all the Droids, AT&T the backflip, lol.

The difference in Apple's iPhone and Android is that Apple is in charge of the hardware and software and Android is merely software that the manufactures get to mess up along with a POS looking phone and sometimes subpar hardware, sometimes the looks and hardware are good, but to a majority of the population that have, say a Moto Droid, not Android, they probably don't have a clue.

Image the strength of the Android users if all of the sudden all of these users (as long as hardware permits, but as ROM developers have shown even the G1 handles 2.1) got 2.1 and all the great stuff. Perhaps more Devs and Apps with less 'fragmentation'.

Anyway my original point is that my wife has the MT3G, even the 1.2 (most recent release similar to Fender) and I have to root the phone to handle updates in software myself, be prepared to do the same possibly.

Also I would like to note that the Slide UI has been leaked for some time and I recommend you play with it at a store. It is NOT for everyone in my opinion. The font is a cursive type thingy, its definantly for the younger crowd IMO.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by FAFS View Post
    okay so I have a g1 right now but I'm going to upgrade and I came down to the nexus or the mytouch slide and I want to pick the right phone because if I make the wrong decision I will have to keep the phone for almost 2 years for my next upgrade. I heard the mytouch looks smooth and the htc sense theme is cool. But the nexus one has a better screen the the mytouch and it can compete with others but its media,contact, and message display is oldschool kind of like the g1 so I'm kind of stuck
    Hmmm... well it's tough...

Do you want the best phone? (Nexus One)

Or a phone that is 2nd best? (All others)

The Slide will be Outdated soon. SenseUI is Whack IMO.

Get a Nexus One or Wait for the Android Sidekick
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

thanks for the quick replies

You know I was in the same boat. I came from a G1 and couldn't decide to get either a Slide or a Nexus One. Well... I picked up the Nexus and couldn't be happier. True there isn't a physical keyboard so you need to get use to the all touch screen... but its actually not that bad at all. The reason why I picked up the Nexus One was because I know I will have the tethering and the hotspot tethering where as the Slide... who knows Tmobile may ask for it to be taken out of its Froyo update (that or charge extra to use it). With the Nexus One I also know that I should be getting the latest and greatest builts of Android first... plus I know the phone has plenty of life left because the specs it offers now still blow a way a lot of the other phones out there. Also, I am a fan of the game emulators on the Market. True, they work better with an actual keyboard than the touchscreen, however, with the app that lets you use your Wii controller it makes the games play flawless (using the Classic Wii Controller with it)... as if i own just about every 16bit console in the palm of my hand. Also... I know this app won't work with the Slide because of the HTC Sense where as the Nexus One doesn't have Sense so you have nothing to worry about. So while I may not have a physical keyboard the other features make up for it... and in long run I know the Nexus One will have a longer life. I mean its still one of the best phones out and its already been out for quite a while yet it still holds its ground to the newer phones that are out and that are coming out.

I came from a G1 and went to the Nexus One. I love the Nexus One. My girlfriend just got her first "smart phone" which is the MyTouch 3G Slide. I like her phone very much but I LOVE the Nexus. In the same sense I do telephony work for a very large phone provider. My girlfriend works front desk for a very busy probably the most world wide known hotel chain. It all depends on how you want to use your phone. I love the fact that I can root my phone, and development is on the cutting edge when it comes to user and developer "hacks" My girlfriend loves the social interaction features on her phone which the Nexus doesn't lack but is not known for. I am also extremely happy the Nexus is not known for these features though (I hate faceboock, twitter and myspace with a passion). The way I look at it is this way if I had to choose. Do you want the most up to date features and are willing to do some manipulating of your phone (ie.. Root, manual updates, ect..) with one of the best hardware configs or do you want more connectivity on a social standpoint with some decent power (probably more than enough for majority of users)? The other differences like physical keyboard and others are more of a individual preference. Hope this helps you some.

Slide will be upgraded to 2.2. That being said, if physical keyboard isn't necessary, Nexus One all the way. Also, The sliding wasn't very smooth on the mytouch 3g. It felt rough sliding at times. I was in the same boat as you last week. I choose the HTC Desire. I'm selling it on eBay to fund for a Nexus One. It is pretty much the same phone as N1 but it doesn't have USA 3G bands.

u have a 2 week period to test phones and decide to return them no strings attached. therefor buy one use it than return it and get the other one

but dude....nexus > mytouch by a mile. no comparison. specs wise, looks wise, and community wise. you can get sense on your nexus very easily. just read up on these forums. this phone is soo customizable its insane.
    well anyway i hope you make the right choice cough cough nexus one!
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

So true. I thought I'd miss the hard kb...I don't! Soft kb's (whichever one you choose) works great, as well as VOICE INPUT! I think hard kb's days are numbered.

/oooopps. was supposed to be a quote from Wayne! :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links