Ready to purchase off craigslist, what to look for?

This is a discussion on Ready to purchase off craigslist, what to look for? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; After months and months of research I've finally decided to get a Nexus One, but I have a few questions before shelling out the cash ...

Thread: Ready to purchase off craigslist, what to look for?

Ready to purchase off craigslist, what to look for?

After months and months of research I've finally decided to get a Nexus One, but I have a few questions before shelling out the cash for it.

I'm planning to buy it off of craigslist mainly to save some bit of money, but from what I understand the warranty does not transfer through. Some people on XDA and on this forum have been able to get through this when shipping their phone for warranty to HTC by merely changing the return address from the original owner. Is there any sort of proof that needs to be presented/verified? like receipts or order numbers or something.

Are there any water damage marks I should look for like the iphone? what other things should I make sure that it works fine?

Is there a difference from buying an unsubsidized N1 vs a N1 with a tmo contract? I currently have t-zones and want to keep it for as long as possible...

And I plan to root but I understand it's YMMV to getting warranty service done... but is there a difference between HTC warranty and google warranty? (software vs hardware?)

THanksss

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

To me...buying a used phone is like buying a used car...You are buying someone's problem.
    For my own piece of mind, I'd buy direct from the source. But I understand wanting to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by tkw00t View Post
    is there a difference between HTC warranty and google warranty? (software vs hardware?)
    Yes, rooting the phone will only void the software warranty (as i understand it) and many extended warranty policies.

Things you want to look for when buying used:
    - why they are selling it
    - which version of the nexus one it is, and make sure it's the right one for your carrier.
    - any visible damage to the device
    - don't buy from anyone that uses stock photos (or no photos at all). Look for personal photos. It should be easy to tell.
    - Reasonable prices. Don't expect to pay $100 or less. These are most likely to be big problems and/or scams.

Other than that, just make sure you fully test it once you receive it.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fiercefire View Post
    Yes, rooting the phone will only void the software warranty (as i understand it) and many extended warranty policies.
    There are not two separate warranties, only one. Unlocking the bootloader break the ONE warranty, but so far HTC has been lenient in fixing any hardware issues under warranty on rooted phones. That leniency is bound to change at some point in the future, possibly prior to 1 year from release date.

Try the phone out with your sim. Check the screen and any damage. My rule is if it is not mint I don't buy it.
    I have bought over 50 different phones off craigslist and only had one bad experience

I bought my nexus for 450. The guy had the receipt too!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1k View Post
    Try the phone out with your sim. Check the screen and any damage. My rule is if it is not mint I don't buy it.
    I have bought over 50 different phones off craigslist and only had one bad experience

I bought my nexus for 450. The guy had the receipt too!
    do i need a copy of the receipt?

i understand htc asks for your imei and your address. would just changing the address be good enough? what about credit card info?

If you buy off Craigslist it means you are totally willing to take a completes strangers word. Remember some phone defects may not be obvious. If the phone has a faulty radio but still works you would not be able to tell until you use it for several days. If the screen has been replaced you can't tell either. I would rather wait and save up extra money and have peace of mind.
    I recently sold my ps3 with a LCD HD monitor on Craigslist. The monitor works but when you turn it off it takes several attempts to turn it back on. When the buyer came to my house I had everything setup and working. I disclosed to him the issue. If I had not he would not have known and would have purchased it thinking it was working perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eplchamps0304 View Post
    If you buy off Craigslist it means you are totally willing to take a completes strangers word. Remember some phone defects may not be obvious. If the phone has a faulty radio but still works you would not be able to tell until you use it for several days. If the screen has been replaced you can't tell either. I would rather wait and save up extra money and have peace of mind.
    I recently sold my ps3 with a LCD HD monitor on Craigslist. The monitor works but when you turn it off it takes several attempts to turn it back on. When the buyer came to my house I had everything setup and working. I disclosed to him the issue. If I had not he would not have known and would have purchased it thinking it was working perfectly.
    yeah i understand the risk, that's why i'm wondering since warranty (technically) doesn't transfer owner to owner. does htc require some proof of purchase before sending a unit in?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links