Is it normal that seemingly every app is running after startup?!

This is a discussion on Is it normal that seemingly every app is running after startup?! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I recently got advanced task killer. I notice that after restarting my phone it's like almost every app is running! I'm talking apps that have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal that seemingly every app is running after startup?!

Is it normal that seemingly every app is running after startup?!

I recently got advanced task killer. I notice that after restarting my phone it's like almost every app is running! I'm talking apps that have NO business at all running. Apps that would not need to be doing anything in the background, apps with no widget that might need parts of them running, etc... Like why in the hell do I see the Amazon MP3 store running at startup? Even apps that might have a reason to "auto-refresh" or whatever but I've explicitly gone into their settings and set not to do anything of the sort are listed as running? Why would android do this?

I know there are those of the belief that it doesn't matter and won't affect performance, etc.. At the very least it slows down the startup time by starting those tasks and in the end, I just want to know why they are running, and if possible how to stop apps from running (not killing them, I'm talking like having them not auto start in the first place). Anyone know?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have to agree. Whenever I change my battery it takes forever for the phone to become stable enough to use. If I try to do something during this time I get constant force closes. I also notice that when the phone is syncing it really slows down to where it is impossible to do anything until it is finished. N1 2.2

No problems on 2.1. Phone starts up very quickly and yes many apps start as well. This is how the phone is designed. Task killers shut down apps when they need to be running sometimes. Remove the task killers and problems should go away.

Problems on 2.2 are self evident.

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    No problems on 2.1. Phone starts up very quickly and yes many apps start as well. This is how the phone is designed. Task killers shut down apps when they need to be running sometimes. Remove the task killers and problems should go away.

Problems on 2.2 are self evident.

I'm not using the task killer to kill apps. I was using to more easily see what's running and I was shocked. There's simply no excuse or reason for executing 2-3 internet radio apps at startup or an MP3 store, or a podcast manager that has all sync settings disabled, etc... If I'm missing the reason, I'd love for someone to explain to me why it's good to use RAM, CPU cycles, and battery for no reason whatsoever. I understand if it's the messaging app, loading a previous browser session in the background for quick retrieval, starting the voice dialer so that it pops up instantly when opened, etc..Some of the apps are things I hardly ever use so it's not even like it's being smart and pre-fetching apps that I'm likely to need a lot.

Annoying apps

I agree that apps that I don´t use or have no use for, should not be starting themselves up.
    For example:
    News & Weather, I don´t care about that!
    Bluetooth, I have never used it, and probably will not in the future.
    Market, give me a break..... why should it run when I´m not needing it?
    Voice Search, most annoying of all, starts up all the time, I´m not using voice and probably will not anytime soon.

Why is it that this "superphone" doesn´t leave more control to the user, hmm?

It would be nice if those programs could give you the option of auto-starting or not... but some make sense (even if you don't like it). For example, the news and weather needs to grab the latest news and weather. The Market needs to see if there are updates to say "there are updates". So it makes sense... but an option to disable the service would be nice.

App killers do not show an accurate list of running apps, just because it says that the news and weather is running doesn't mean that it is running in the background for only your hand to see, it means that a PIECE of that app is active maybe updating something or creating a quick cache so that it can open quicker. Android is a linux based OS and does not keep anything open that doesn't need to be or is not being used, you cause more problems trying to do androids job then just leaving it to do its own thing.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    App killers do not show an accurate list of running apps, just because it says that the news and weather is running doesn't mean that it is running in the background for only your hand to see, it means that a PIECE of that app is active maybe updating something or creating a quick cache so that it can open quicker. Android is a linux based OS and does not keep anything open that doesn't need to be or is not being used, you cause more problems trying to do androids job then just leaving it to do its own thing.
    I agree about some of those little background tasks and letting the OS handle them. To clarify though, the act of closing down programs that aren't "required" (ie: aren't in the forefront or an important service) is uniquely Android, not Linux. Linux doesn't shut programs down. It might page swap them if more RAM is required but that's a different beast.

Linux kills what Linux doesn't need, take it from both a Linux coder and long time user. Android does not keep unwanted apps running in the background, what app killers find are either apps that are activated for a very very brief time to update or the residual traces of apps that have been run, Test it for yourselves run a day with no app killer and run a day when every ten minutes you pull your phone out and use both time and power killing off minute services in the background. i do not use task killers and the only reason i have them are for tracking app integrity, i also run Rod's MIUI mod and i am currently getting about 3-4 days out of a 100% charge but i am also testing out an apparent battery booster for another thread with a build in app killer so i will be able too (in a couple of days) show you the exact effect app killing has on a perfect build.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Linux kills what Linux doesn't need, take it from both a Linux coder and long time user. Android does not keep unwanted apps running in the background, what app killers find are either apps that are activated for a very very brief time to update or the residual traces of apps that have been run, Test it for yourselves run a day with no app killer and run a day when every ten
    We must have different definitions then. When Android needs RAM to run the foreground task, it will kill background apps. That is it stops execution and removes the app from RAM. It's up to the app writer to save/restore program states in case this happens. Linux does NOT kill tasks if it needs more RAM. It may do page swapping using virtual RAM but it does not kill them and require the apps to restore their own context when execution resumes. If Linux kills anything then it's not something that's running or required... some "garbage collection" or something but it doesn't kill suspended tasks like Android does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links