16gb SD card

This is a discussion on 16gb SD card within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Got my new memory card today and installed it. Was surprised to find that after I formated it I only had 14.83GB available on a ...

Thread: 16gb SD card

Cool 16gb SD card

Got my new memory card today and installed it. Was surprised to find that after I formated it I only had 14.83GB available on a 16GB card. I know the system uses some space but 1GB seems a little excessive to me.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

djb
    The first slice you lose is because the amount of storage is 16 million kilobytes, not 16GB (2^34) that you would be getting if you bought DRAM. The second missing slice is because the card internally reserves blocks for wear leveling. When you write a data block, the surrounding data is read from the old region and whole merged region is written to a new region. The old region is then put at the end of the re-use list. You can't control this, and can't directly access all of the storage, but there really is the extra flash storage hidden in the device so they are allowed to include it in the count. Finally, there is the file system overhead. Most memory cards are formatted in VFAT, which is a crappy, inefficient file system. But everyone uses it because.. everyone used it last year.

well thats that cleared up

Oh boy, I feel real stupid. It's not a GB but a MB. That makes more sense to me now and I agree, that's just overhead. Sorry to be so slow, it's been a rough weekend. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Got my new memory card today and installed it. Was surprised to find that after I formated it I only had 14.83GB available on a 16GB card. I know the system uses some space but 1GB seems a little excessive to me.
    Mine says 14.96GB.

Man you really got screwed (by 0.13GB) .....

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links