To root or not to root, that is the question?

This is a discussion on To root or not to root, that is the question? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I was an iPhone 3g user, and I jailbroke my phone early on and enabled MMS early on and all the other fun stuff, there ...

Thread: To root or not to root, that is the question?

Junior Member oldschool_nexusone's Avatar

To root or not to root, that is the question?

I was an iPhone 3g user, and I jailbroke my phone early on and enabled MMS early on and all the other fun stuff, there was a definite need to jailbreak the iPhone. My N1 seems to be perfect out of the box.

I don't want this thread to be a discussion on how to root, but more of why to root?

Can people list there favorite features that the rooted N1's have that the stock N1's don't?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Re: To root or not to root, that is the question?

I come from a similar background. Over time I've become amazed how stable and mature the iPhone jailbreaking scene has become. While not a popular opinion, the way I had my iPhone setup, it had more abilities /features than stock android. I imagine that rooting my n1 will feel the same as jailbreaking. I was very reluctant to even try at first. After awhile I gave in and learned a lot through trial + error. Many restores and redoing of settings. Finally I figured out what I wanted and what worked best for me and by then I couldn't imagine using a non-jailbroken iPhone.

For me, jailbreaking was all about improving convenience, efficiency, productivity, and enabling locked features (like native tethering). I didn't do anything for eye candy and all that crap. To me that's just a waste of resources, afterall I'm the only one that has to look at the screen, spare me all the "themes" and "live wallpapers".

For the N1, I'm currently in the "very reluctant but curious" stage. My current plan is to wait till 2.2 before doing anything. I'm interested to see the opinions you get.

I'd rather not take the small chance of getting an a-hole repair technician that voids my warranty, for features that were taken care of for me in Froyo.

Battery life - Im electrically responsible so I don't have problems
    Quickness - Sped up with Froyo
    Tethering - Froyo makes tethering super easy

I never really see any major benefits from rooting, just little customizations that aren't really worth my peace of mind when it comes to my warranty.

guess one reason to root is to get paid market access (via market enabler) if you live in a non-supported country.

didnt want to root either (at least not yet)... found a workaround to get paid apps by putting in a USA sim card on my nexus then just buy apps via wifi.

was really tempted to root to get froyo on my stock ATT nexus though. but since ive abstained from doing that for about a month... guess it would be better for me to wait for the official OTA anyway.

Same here... I haven't felt the need to root especially with what's promised in 2.2. We'll see... I love to tinker but so far I've resisted temptation.

I'm finding plenty to tinker with while I wait. I honestly can't see that I'd gain anything I truly NEED by rooting; and with FroYo right around the corner, the few things I WANT will be included.

Junior Member oldschool_nexusone's Avatar
    Ok, you've all made my decision much easier! I was under the same mind frame that I just couldn't justify rooting with froyo coming so soon, and couldn't come up with a reason to do it, other than just doing it.

Thanks guys!

I always say rooting is like having your ears pierced... (ok lady's example but I'm sure there are guy's equivalents) - some are vehemently against that, other's think it is as normal as having breakfast. Once it's done, it's done, there is no undo. However, it gives you the freedom to wear all kinds of earrings, not just clip-ons. You can even leave your ears bare (albeit with tiny little holes).

Same with rooting. You can't undo the unlocking, but afterwards you just have more freedom to try all kinds of ROM's and apps that require root access, not just stock. You can even stick with the stock ROM (albeit with a tiny little unlock image when you boot).

Matter of choice entirely, and there is no right or wrong in it.
    My sigs keep getting

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
    I always say rooting is like having your ears pierced... (ok lady's example but I'm sure there are guy's equivalents) - some are vehemently against that, other's think it is as normal as having breakfast. Once it's done, it's done, there is no undo. However, it gives you the freedom to wear all kinds of earrings, not just clip-ons. You can even leave your ears bare (albeit with tiny little holes).

Same with rooting. You can't undo the unlocking, but afterwards you just have more freedom to try all kinds of ROM's and apps that require root access, not just stock. You can even stick with the stock ROM (albeit with a tiny little unlock image when you boot).

Matter of choice entirely, and there is no right or wrong in it.
    NICE analogy Sophia

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links