Hey, Original 2.2 Manual Updaters----

This is a discussion on Hey, Original 2.2 Manual Updaters---- within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; ----would you do it again? Looking for feedback from those that manually updated to 2.2 over two weeks ago. A lot of people seemed to ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Original 2.2 Manual Updaters----

Hey, Original 2.2 Manual Updaters----

----would you do it again?

Looking for feedback from those that manually updated to 2.2 over two weeks ago. A lot of people seemed to do OK, some did not. I am stock N1 bought from Google Store running ERE27 on CBW. Had to select TMO 3G as carrier choice when I bought. I downloaded the update and saved to SD Card as "update" no .zip, has "passion" in link name. Other than that forgot where I downloaded from. Have done nothing since then and like a lot of others tired of waiting and know from Google employee posts, I will still get the OTA when it comes out.

I would like to know from any of you if you would do it again, since I read that some had problems only after several days after the update. Am aware of the bugs even though most, like I said, posted no problems at all.

Part of me says wait, it can't be that much longer. The other part says go ahead, you can always factory reset and reload. I use MyBackUp for apps and data.

Looking to see what percentage of responses are positive.

Any advice?

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Probably not because a bunch of aps I used disappeared after the "update". Also Flash has caused several crashes requiring me to have to remove the battery to fix.

NexusRocks,

Thanks for the quick reply, exactly what I was looking for. Positive or negative. Will see how the replies go.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

I Def would do it again. No Problems here
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I'd do it again, sure...the radio seems improved(signal) and more stable, and the speed of the phone makes it MUCH more user-friendly...worth the annoyance a few missing apps and an occasional FlashCrash presents.

I would absolutely do it again. I have had no serious problems and no force closes. I did have a calendar widget and one other app that no longer worked because there were some changes made to the stock calendar app. However, a quick note to the developers of those apps and they each provided me with an updated version, one within hours of my note. All my current apps are working well. I do have one that says it has an update but it is not visible on the market, but it is still working. I will have to wait for the actual release of 2.2 before that one can be updated.

I did find that a couple of the icons on my desktop were "broken" but trashing them and re-creating them fixed that easily enough.

I am not a technical person and have not rooted my phone, yet was able to load FroYo without a hitch. Without a doubt, I would do it again.

Thanks everyone for the replies to date,

Maris,

Are you saying your original calendar icon stopped working, or was this an add-on calendar. I live and die by my stock calendar, can't afford to have an issue there.

Ken

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies to date,

Maris,

Are you saying your original calendar icon stopped working, or was this an add-on calendar. I live and die by my stock calendar, can't afford to have an issue there.

Ken
    I use a calendar widget (Android Calendar Widget) that I "cannot live without." When I updated, it no longer read my calendar. The Dev told me it was because of some changes made to the stock calendar app by FroYo. He adapted his app, and sent me a copy to test. It worked with a slight glitch, so he updated and sent me another version to test. That one worked perfectly. His update is now on the market (free).

The icons for some of my apps (I can't remember which one's now, I think calendar and gallery, and maybe one or two more) had to be trashed and reloaded. The apps were fine.

One last thought ... I was using Helix launcher before updating, so maybe that had something to do with the icons. Since updating, I switched to LauncherPro which seems to really compliment the FroYo update.

While I REALLY want to update to Froyo I plan on waiting for the Official update. I'd rather be as close to bug free and problem free as possible. With the update being released "in a few weeks" from Google's mouth and now its been almost twice that time I do hope Google will have some surprises for us with the Official version does actually hit. My guess is that they will wait until Apple launches their iphone 4 and then either release it on its launch day or VERY soon after (although I say a few days before would be better just to take away from all the iphone hype). Hopefully this extra wait has given them enough time to iron out any problems and possibly add a few extra features... like 720p video recorder (without having to root) and maybe even let us use the FM transmitter (that is said to be in the phone) for playing music through our stereos... now that would be two Awesome features.... are you listening Google? While I like the fact knowing that the O/S is being tweaked to perfection... please... Please... PLEASE.... release it soon and hopefully this month. The wait is killing me. And... if my extra features like I mentioned are coming to this update... you can always add them on the next system upgrade if it'll help bring the OTA update any faster... I'll still be happy. Lets just hope they actually are getting it ready because if they don't I do believe Apple could very well take away some of the heat from Android. To me its more of a O/S war than a hardware war... atleast thats the way it will be in the future of cell phones over the next year or so.

Maris,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ken

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links