If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

This is a discussion on If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by dd4005 Just because one app isn't available and you happen to know AT&T don't like that app, you're concluding that they've got ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Just because one app isn't available and you happen to know AT&T don't like that app, you're concluding that they've got influence. How many other apps have you tried looking for? You may be blocked from many different apps. It could be a completely unrelated reason why they're being blocked.
    I'm running a stock AT&T Nexus One. PdaNet is not available when I look while connected through cell data. If I turn off cell and turn on WiFi, I can see PdaNet.

Also, Where is not available on the AT&T Nexus One while on cell or WiFi. I talked to Where.Com about this. There appears to be some type of business arrangement between Where.com and AT&T that prevents Where.com from allowing Where to function on AT&T phones without the user paying $$ every month to AT&T.

Where is fully available to stock T-Mobile Nexus Ones.

So it's clear that the Google Market is able to block apps based on the requests of the app developer. For more information, you can review the Market filters information available in the Developers documentation. Market filters quickview

Of course, this proves the developer can restrict the app. There isn't any documentation about how a carrier can restrict an app. But since the number of carriers is fairly low, I wouldn't think that needs to be public information. Google does have some type of business relationship with some carriers.

:nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ellesshoo View Post
    What native features are you missing?
    What I'm saying is that somehow the notion that the app store would not be controlled (like the apple app store) particularly on an carrier unbranded phone (such as my nexus 1) is apparently false. Somehow pdanet is unavailable in the android market. It is a normal app with no root requirement.

This leads me to believe that through some mechanism native tethering will be disabled if the carrier so chooses. I know manual updaters use it but we have yet to see what the final ota version will be like, particularly on the n1 that operates on 850/1900mhz.
    I think you're jumping to a conclusion on a very limited amount of empirical evidence. Just because one app isn't available and you happen to know AT&T don't like that app, you're concluding that they've got influence. How many other apps have you tried looking for? You may be blocked from many different apps. It could be a completely unrelated reason why they're being blocked.

I'm also running an unlocked phone that's not tied to a carrier and I was able to download PDANet free version. On the other hand, I've been blocked from downloading numerous apps that others here have no problem accessing. Issues like location play a much bigger part.

If you know someone with another sim, trying using that and see if pdanet magically appears.

btw, aren't you tempted to install Froyo? It gives native tethering and more and more apps are getting updated for problems they had with it. Currently ALL my apps work perfectly with froyo. On install day 2 or 3 had minor issues but the developers were quick to resolve them.

btw2, installing froyo isn't hacking/rooting, it's just an update file that you put on your sd card and reboot (while performing a couple of key sequences).
    As far as I'm aware, the froyo that people are installing manually is not for the 1900/850mhz Nexus One. It's for the T-Mobile version. As far as I know. So no, I'm not very tempted. I just can't help but feel a little cheated since I had an iphone that I had to jailbreak to enable native tethering and among many other reasons, the idea of buying a phone that I didn't have to "hack" or otherwise work around limitations was very appealing but I'm now concerned I may be right back where I started in that respect but $530+ shorter.

Just turning on Wifi will not bypass AT&T. You must first go into airplane mode to sever network communication. Then you can turn on wifi and roam the market unrestricted.

As for the Where app. I think i read a while back google themselves removed it on the app store due to unapproved adware or spyware built in.

One thing they defiantly do not control in the N1 (which they do on other Androids) is the ability to install non-market apps.

As far as I'm aware, the froyo that people are installing manually is not for the 1900/850mhz Nexus One. It's for the T-Mobile version. As far as I know. So no, I'm not very tempted. I just can't help but feel a little cheated since I had an iphone that I had to jailbreak to enable native tethering and among many other reasons, the idea of buying a phone that I didn't have to "hack" or otherwise work around limitations was very appealing but I'm now concerned I may be right back where I started in that respect but $530+ shorter.
    Again, the blame rests squarely on your carrier in this isolated example. Go to junefabrics directly and get it, or simply wait for 'true native' tethering in FroYo. The only folks trying to cheat you are ATT...who clearly have decided they would prefer LESS subscribers, based on their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercefire View Post
    One thing they defiantly do not control in the N1 (which they do on other Androids) is the ability to install non-market apps.
    I've seen that option somewhere in the config options (on my nexus). A toggle for whether you want to allow non-market apps to be installed.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

As for the Where app. I think i read a while back google themselves removed it on the app store due to unapproved adware or spyware built in.

I just checked the Market, and the Where app is available (at least for T-Mobile users, even with FroYo). I've never heard of it having built in spyware. Do you remember where you read that? I use this app from time to time and found it useful, but your comment has me a little concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post

I just checked the Market, and the Where app is available (at least for T-Mobile users, even with FroYo). I've never heard of it having built in spyware. Do you remember where you read that? I use this app from time to time and found it useful, but your comment has me a little concerned.

No I don't I'm sorry. I will say it was second hand information (not an official google source). I read that when I was looking to install the app, but decided otherwise when I read that (and the bad reviews).

As for it showing up on the T-Mobile phone and not my AT&T version, what if I were on Rogers or one of the many other carriers around the world that use GSM. I'm getting a little worried about Froyo now, thinking AT&T might actually have some influence. This is specifically why I opted for an Unlocked and Unsupported phone so that AT&T would have zero control over it. If this untrue, Google has some explaining to do.

Re: If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

As far as I'm aware, the froyo that people are installing manually is not for the 1900/850mhz Nexus One. It's for the T-Mobile version. As far as I kn
    Again, the blame rests squarely on your carrier in this isolated example. Go to junefabrics directly and get it, or simply wait for 'true native' tethering in FroYo. The only folks trying to cheat you are ATT...who clearly have decided they would prefer LESS subscribers, based on their actions.
    I understand it may be att's fault but since it's Google's app market how/why is Google even allowing att to meddle with it, especially on an unsubsidized/unbranded/unlocked nexus one? Seems to me that if att can control the app market in that way it is quite possible they can control other features including native tethering. If they can, I'm 100% convinced they will. Follow? I'm actually less annoyed with att than I am with Google for allowing att that level of control over their own device that they didn't even partner with a carrier to sell.

As far as I'm aware, the froyo that people are installing manually is not for the 1900/850mhz Nexus One. It's for the T-Mobile version. As far as I kn
    I understand it may be att's fault but since it's Google's app market how/why is Google even allowing att to meddle with it, especially on an unsubsidized/unbranded/unlocked nexus one? Seems to me that if att can control the app market in that way it is quite possible they can control other features including native tethering. If they can, I'm 100% convinced they will. Follow? I'm actually less annoyed with att than I am with Google for allowing att that level of control over their own device that they didn't even partner with a carrier to sell.
    Your annoyance and blame is misplaced, imho ATT does the same to iPhone (PDANet is also unavailable to iPhone users according to various forum threads on PDANet access) and any other Android phone you choose. They want to monetise the tethering, plain and simple, and they can do so with or without Google's 'permission' or cooperation, just as they can without Apple/Nokia/etc. permission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links