If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

This is a discussion on If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I was under the impression that when buying the $530 n1, which happens to operate on the same frequencies as the att network, that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

I was under the impression that when buying the $530 n1, which happens to operate on the same frequencies as the att network, that I was getting a truly carrier independent phone. I'm starting to wonder if that's simply not true despite the "common knowledge " around here.

If it were true, why is it that I can't find pdanet in the market? Wouldn't the only explanation be that it is being blocked? How can it be blocked considering the app doesn't require any root access? What is the purpose of buying a so called unlocked /contract free phone if the carrier or Google can still operate in a way that limits what the phone can do? Will I have native tethering in 2.2 on a phone advertised and promoted as essentially the reference android hardware made to run full blown, unaltered versions of the android OS? Everyone always says around here that the updates come "straight from Google", that "Android = Freedom", yada yada. .. So tell me, why again can't I see pdanet in the market?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by ellesshoo View Post
    I was under the impression that when buying the $530 n1, which happens to operate on the same frequencies as the att network, that I was getting a truly carrier independent phone. I'm starting to wonder if that's simply not true despite the "common knowledge " around here.

If it were true, why is it that I can't find pdanet in the market? Wouldn't the only explanation be that it is being blocked? How can it be blocked considering the app doesn't require any root access? What is the purpose of buying a so called unlocked /contract free phone if the carrier or Google can still operate in a way that limits what the phone can do? Will I have native tethering in 2.2 on a phone advertised and promoted as essentially the reference android hardware made to run full blown, unaltered versions of the android OS? Everyone always says around here that the updates come "straight from Google", that "Android = Freedom", yada yada. .. So tell me, why again can't I see pdanet in the market?
    Your assumption is as ours...we suspect ATT blocked PDANet. I had the intention of emailing junefabrics for an explanation, but never got around to it. It can be d/l'd from junefabric's site, so no worries.

edit: and 2.2 indeed allows wireless tethering/hot spot access, in another Google finger to ATT. LOL!
    edit2: IIRC, you can find it when on wifi, search for pda

Re: If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

On wifi. .. no pdanet. How can att block an app in the market from a phone it "shouldn't " be able to control from any aspect other than the raw data and voice connections to its network. This is what leads me to believe that this idea that the N1 is "free" and only Google holds the "keys to the kingdom" is really not true at all. And here I thought that I had paid for simply my own device, to do what I want with as long as I paid the usual ransom to connect to the network. I feel duped.

Re: If the unsubsidized n1 is truly unlocked, can we expect native tethering in 2.2?

If I have to root/hack to enable native features then it will be just like my iPhone 3gs all over again except I will have forked over more than half a grand to do it and be paying the same per month as I did when buying subsidized phones on contract. I'm just hoping someone knows the ins and outs of this and can assuage my paranoia.

That's interesting that PdaNet free edition shows up when you are in WiFi.

I've got the same issue that Where doesn't show on AT&T, but it also doesn't show on WiFi.

I bet the flowchart for what does and doesn't show up gets real confusing.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

If I have to root/hack to enable native features then it will be just like my iPhone 3gs all over again except I will have forked over more than half a grand to do it and be paying the same per month as I did when buying subsidized phones on contract. I'm just hoping someone knows the ins and outs of this and can assuage my paranoia.
    What native features are you missing?

If I have to root/hack to enable native features then it will be just like my iPhone 3gs all over again except I will have forked over more than half
    What I'm saying is that somehow the notion that the app store would not be controlled (like the apple app store) particularly on an carrier unbranded phone (such as my nexus 1) is apparently false. Somehow pdanet is unavailable in the android market. It is a normal app with no root requirement.

This leads me to believe that through some mechanism native tethering will be disabled if the carrier so chooses. I know manual updaters use it but we have yet to see what the final ota version will be like, particularly on the n1 that operates on 850/1900mhz.

If I have to root/hack to enable native features then it will be just like my iPhone 3gs all over again except I will have forked over more than half
    What I'm saying is that somehow the notion that the app store would not be controlled (like the apple app store) particularly on an carrier unbranded phone (such as my nexus 1) is apparently false. Somehow pdanet is unavailable in the android market. It is a normal app with no root requirement.

This leads me to believe that through some mechanism native tethering will be disabled if the carrier so chooses. I know manual updaters use it but we have yet to see what the final ota version will be like, particularly on the n1 that operates on 850/1900mhz.

The OS update is what makes the feature 'native', and unless you've manually updated, you won't have 'native' tethering. Still, it's on the way. Your carrier can indeed block your access to apps/market based on your 'footprint' (I assume your IEMI plays a role) if it so chooses, which indeed sucks...one of the many reasons to avoid ATT. They have not been behaving in their customer's interest for a long time now, and seem recalcitrant to properly upgrading their network to serve their customers. Once you get tethering on ATT, they will also charge you additional fees to use it, part of their contractual 'fine print', I'm sure.*

*confirmed: "Tethering Options
    Smartphone customers who choose the DataPro plan can add tethering for an additional $20 per month. With tethering, you can use your smartphone as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks, or other computing devices."

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/data-plans.jsp

In summary, ATT has monetised tethering, and has stymied the well-known workaround (PDANet) from their customers by blocking their access to the app (what else could they be blocking?Hmmmm). I can bet once 2.2 rolls gold, we'll be seeing a lot of folks complaining in the ATT fora about data overage charges and unplanned plan 'upgrades' to tether plan by ATT.

edit: Here is another forum's thread wrt accessing PDANet in creative, non-ATT ways:
    http://androidforums.com/android-app...ng-market.html

So, removing your SIM before going on wifi is sufficient to override ATT's block.

I think you're jumping to a conclusion on a very limited amount of empirical evidence. Just because one app isn't available and you happen to know AT&T don't like that app, you're concluding that they've got influence. How many other apps have you tried looking for? You may be blocked from many different apps. It could be a completely unrelated reason why they're being blocked.

I'm also running an unlocked phone that's not tied to a carrier and I was able to download PDANet free version. On the other hand, I've been blocked from downloading numerous apps that others here have no problem accessing. Issues like location play a much bigger part.

If you know someone with another sim, trying using that and see if pdanet magically appears.

btw, aren't you tempted to install Froyo? It gives native tethering and more and more apps are getting updated for problems they had with it. Currently ALL my apps work perfectly with froyo. On install day 2 or 3 had minor issues but the developers were quick to resolve them.

btw2, installing froyo isn't hacking/rooting, it's just an update file that you put on your sd card and reboot (while performing a couple of key sequences).
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links